MLB Odds Ranging System

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted
Hi, guys. Been following cassiusclay?s dog betting thread, and thought you might be interested in knowing a little about how games within a certain range can help you have similar success to that of CC the first part of June (prior to Interleague play).

June 1-14, dogs in the range of +110 to +150 went 51-35 (59.3%). Think about that for a sec. Faves in that odds range generally go about 55%. So what we had during that two week span was nothing short of a phenomenal aberration. But an aberration that you could?ve made money from, had you been keeping track.

I picked up on it early, but failed to follow it for its entirety, hence only went 11-7 on away dogs during that span. See, most odds range dogs or faves don?t have streaks nearly that long, tending to last only 4-7 days. So by about June 5, I was waiting for the home faves to take over . . . and waiting . . . and waiting.

In that I don?t track Interleague play, I can only tell you that the home faves didn?t show again in intra-league play until July . . . but since then they?ve been there with a vengence, going 51-24 (68%). So now you know why CC?s dog betting system hasn?t fared as well recently. But I guarantee you it?ll flare up brightly again, and soon ? I just can?t tell you exactly when.

Note that this far into July, home faves have remained strong for a good bit longer than a normal short-term odds range tends to do. The A/S break might account for some of that.

Away faves have also been ok in July, just not that many of them, going 11-6 (64.7%), in that odds range.

If you were to go back and look at CC?s plays during early June, I?m guessing (since I haven?t done so) that you?d find a higher winning percentage in the aforementioned odds range than outside it. Thing is, those really low-odds plays, say -103 to +109, tend to lean more toward 50-50, and the higher odds plays, >+150, just don?t normally win often enough. And that?s why I limit my tracking system to plays in the middle.

Right now, home faves >-129 are making money, but for how much longer? Thinking I may sit out the next few days just to observe what?s going on.

cassiusclay

EOG Master
Re: MLB Odds Ranging System

i gotta thank you for this, i took a look back and you are right. again, thanks, it's hard for me to evaluate my own work.

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted

So tell us, CC, how did you do during those two weeks - better than the away dogs (in that odds range) as a whole? I'm guessing not as I'm recalling you don't limit your picks to those middlers. But I betcha you did better than me for the simple reason you kept with it, and I didn't.

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted

No, no. Hey, I alredy knew how tough it's been for a dog bettor lately. I was talking about those first two weeks of June when dogs were hot, hot, hot. What was your record then? I know it had to have been a lot better than mine, but I'm curious about the overall nos. to see if they exceeded the norm for the away middling dogs (excluding multiple unit plays).

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted

Man, that blows my mind. I was just sure you had your best run of the season during that timeframe. Well, whatever... solid dog betting will return - you can bank on it.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

i'll look more into it but you are right, there are bursts of dogs winning, something that might be a trend or pattern from year to year.

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted

CC -

Ok, I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to go back and run the numbers on your picks from June 1-14 when dogs were killing them within my own betting parameters, from +110 to +150. And here's what I found:

You killed 'em, going 20-13, +12 units. So if you just broke even for your overall bets, then I'd say you might want to rethink your betting strategy.

Fact is, that's what led me to only track (and bet) games within those parameters to begin with. Several years ago, I ran the numbers against my own bets and noticed that my losses were greater in the very low odds and >+150/-160 odds games.

I know it takes discipline, and some days there won't even be any games you like, but it sure helps out the bottom line. I found that totals were killing me back when I was betting them regularly, but nowadays when I only bet them occasionally, they represent some of my best picks.