Jose Reyes is no Ted Williams

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated
In 1941 Ted Williams had .400 in the bag with a DH still to be played on the final day of the season. There were no post season implications, but Teddy ballgame insisted on playing both games of the DH and wound up getting 5 hits and finishing at .406.

Today, Jose Reyes goes into the game with a 1 point lead over Ryan Braun for the NL batting title. Reyes bunts for a hit his first time up, then comes out of the game! Forget all the Mets fans who showed up at the game today only to see Reyes play his last game as a Met. He left the door open for Braun to go 3-4 and take the title from him. What a pussy. I'm a huge Reyes fan, but I'll be rooting for Braun tonight.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Re: Jose Reyes is no Ted Williams

That was management, not Reyes. They wanted him to get a huge ovation. I don't blame the strategy because Braun's game is later, giving him a decided advantage, in that he knows what he needs to do. Neither one of them is Ted Williams.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Agree with JHU on this one - that was a nice gesture by management in case Reyes leaves. It was a way for the fans to say goodbye to him on a high note. I doubt batting title was even on their mind.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

First of all, if you want the guy to get the ovation he deserves, you pull him from the game when he's at shortstop, where he has to cross the field. Not when he's at first base, which is ten feet from the Mets dugout. He was off the field before qnyone realized what happened. Second, if you're playing for something, go out and get it. One more hit and he would have forced Braun to go 4-4. If Braun goes 3-4 tonight, Reyes and Collins will regret that move forever. Horrible job by Collins. It's a shame.

focker

EOG Veteran

First of all, if you want the guy to get the ovation he deserves, you pull him from the game when he's at shortstop, where he has to cross the field. Not when he's at first base, which is ten feet from the Mets dugout. He was off the field before qnyone realized what happened. Second, if you're playing for something, go out and get it. One more hit and he would have forced Braun to go 4-4. If Braun goes 3-4 tonight, Reyes and Collins will regret that move forever. Horrible job by Collins. It's a shame.

not to mention those who have the OVER 76 wins season bet on the Mets

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

not to mention those who have the OVER 76 wins season bet on the Mets

Focer -
I'm with you. I had the Mets over 74.5, so my ticket is good. But I'm also in a mlb season win totals pool with 150 guys where the Mets total was 76.5. . I need the Mets to win today to finish 23-7 on win totals and finish 1st, if they lose I finish 3rd. Not a single guy on the field for the Mets right now was an opening day starter. Yikes.

munson15

I want winners...

Regardless of the season win inplications, I agree with Tree. Play most of the game and come out in the 8th inning and you'll still get a huge ovation. Maybe the chump would even have a big game to merit the attention. This is weak, his agent probably has a clause in his contract for winning a batting title.

focker

EOG Veteran

Regardless of the season win inplications, I agree with Tree. Play most of the game and come out in the 8th inning and you'll still get a huge ovation. Maybe the chump would even have a big game to merit the attention. This is weak, his agent probably has a clause in his contract for winning a batting title.

I was thinking it was more managment than Reyes, as I dont think NO MET has ever won a batting title. Trust me, I wish he was still out there thou as I need this OVER 76 wins to turn a push into a win today

Mets up 3-0 btm 7

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

Agree.

munson15

I want winners...

I was thinking it was more managment than Reyes, as I dont think NO MET has ever won a batting title. Trust me, I wish he was still out there thou as I need this OVER 76 wins to turn a push into a win today

Mets up 3-0 btm 7
I'm in the same boat you are, which is not surprising given my response. GL we need three big outs, and if they go to the bullpen, it's 50/50.:doh1

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

We certainly benefited from the Reds not giving a rats ass about the game. Getting shut out by Miguel Batista for 8 innings is hard to do. Reds have taken the attitude that they want to swing early, not run hard and get out of there early. i for one appreciate it.

High Times

EOG Master

They were talking last night on MLBTV and they all said that Mets management wanted Reyes to sit the last 2 games to insure a MET got a batting title.

I think if it was up to Reyes he would have never come out.

I mean that is a grade 1 pussy move.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Congrats on all of you with the over. What none of you mentioned is that first, Reyes went on a tremendous tear for the last week of the season. Secondly, they had a day game after playing 13 innings last night. Most importantly, because the Brewers had last licks today, playing a night game, you know damned well that even had Reyes played another 13 today, Braun would have come out the SECOND he took the lead in the batting race. He surely wasn't going to stick around where making an out would push him back under Reyes.

braun has to go 3 for 4

if reyes would of went 1 for 3, i think braun would of just needed 2 for 4, what a loser

kid44

EOG Dedicated

First of all Braun would not come out. Second it was just said on Espn that Reye's made the decision. Take that for what its worth. I hope Brauny gets him and if not, grab the MVP and continue to scorch through the playoffs.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Brewers need to win to get home field first round. When you are 56-26 at home and under .500 on the road, home field means something. Regardless, if I were Reyes I'd rather hit .337 and not win the batting title than be known the rest of my career as the guy who left a game in the first inning to try and win it that way. JHU I guess you feel differently. My probelm with today is that I love Jose but I'll never see him the same way again.

tripp

EOG Master

I have no problem with the move. So what if he decided he wanted to win the batting title? Like others said also gives fans a chance to give him a standing ovation.

Best SS in the league, and probably one of the 5 best overall players. excited to see where he lands next year.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Dave - I played the phils +182 and the Astros first five. I've been fading the Braves every day for two weeks. I think both the sox and Rays win but I'm not laying those kind of numbers. I also expect to see Bruce Chen starting for the Red Sox tomorrow rather than the Royals tonight.

Wade

EOG Master

that was a smart move to come out the game. i think both the mets and reyes wanted to do that. braun now has a lot of pressure to have a 3 for 4 night. people here don't want a hispanic to win over a white. :finger004 i hope reyes wins.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I have no problem with the move. So what if he decided he wanted to win the batting title? Like others said also gives fans a chance to give him a standing ovation.

Best SS in the league, and probably one of the 5 best overall players. excited to see where he lands next year.

If he has a clause in his contract that gives him a hefty bonus for winning a batting title he'd be an idiot not to sit out. This is a business - every fan would do the same thing if they were a player and had a ton of money on the line. It's his job for the record.

If he had no clause and just wanted to win a batting title it's a bit different, but either way he's earned the right to chose.

Mammon

EOG Master

Dave - I played the phils +182 and the Astros first five. I've been fading the Braves every day for two weeks. I think both the sox and Rays win but I'm not laying those kind of numbers. I also expect to see Bruce Chen starting for the Red Sox tomorrow rather than the Royals tonight.

:whip:Fitting end to a terrible season:whip:

Wade

EOG Master

reyes will probably get a big bonus for winning the batting title. money is everything. :cocktail

Wade

EOG Master

boy's i'd like to quote ricky watters. "for who? for what?" that's how most athletes are these days.