What advantage do MLB teams get by announcing pitchers in advance?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Wouldnt it be better to not announce the starter and then let the other team find out when you turn in your lineup card?

Or, announce a 'fake pitcher' and after the other team puts in their lineup card, you pull a switcheroo?

Nobody does this so there must be an actual baseball rule that has severe consequences if you break. Anyone know the fine and or suspension for not announcing who the starting pitcher is going to be?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: What advantage do MLB teams get by announcing pitchers in advance?

Good question, FK.

Wish I had an answer.

Other than to gamblers, does it really make any difference who pitches?

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I think there is a certain amount of good faith which is mandated by the leagues. I do remember going to a game back in the 60's where the manager warmed up two guys and the second one got in the game by the second inning, at the latest. In that case, first guy was nursing an injury; I don't think they were trying to deceive. Pitchers weren't babied then like they are now.

Think of it like football's injury list. Gotta protect the "public".

What's the point of concealing the pitcher or pulling some last-minute switcheroo?

Are the hitters on the other team going to go limp when they hear about a change?

"That's not who you said was pitching! You fooled us! Now I am too distraught to bat!"

No.