Memo to the Occupy protesters: here are ten things we evil capitalists really think

Memo to the Occupy protesters: here are ten things we evil capitalists really think

By Daniel Hannan Politics Last updated: November 26th, 2011
761 Comments Comment on this article

When they've gone, who will pay our taxes?

Chatting to some Occupy protesters this morning, I was struck by how wide of the mark were the beliefs they attributed to me as a Right-winger. In the interests of deeper understanding, here are ten things which – trust me – most of the Tory scum I hang around with think. Obviously, I don’t expect to turn my Leftie readers in a single post; still, they might get a clearer idea of what we actually believe.

1. Free-marketeers resent the bank bailouts. This might seem obvious: we are, after all, opposed to state subsidies and nationalisations. Yet it often surprises commentators, who mistake our support for open competition and free trade for a belief in plutocracy. There is a world of difference between being pro-market and being pro-business. Sometimes, the two positions happen to coincide; often they don’t.

2. What has happened since 2008 is not capitalism. In a capitalist system, bad banks would have been allowed to fail, their profitable operations bought by more efficient competitors. Shareholders, bondholders and some depositors would have lost money, but taxpayers would not have contributed a penny (see here).

3. If you want the rich to pay more, create a flatter and simpler tax system. This is partly a question of closing loopholes (mansions put in company names to avoid stamp duty, capital gains tax exemption for non-doms etc). Mainly, though, it is a question of bringing the tax rate down to a level where evasion becomes pointless. As Art Laffer keeps telling anyone who’ll listen, it works every time. Between 1980 and 2007, the US cut taxes at all income levels. Result? The top one per cent went from paying 19.5 per cent of all taxes to 40 per cent. In Britain, since the top rate of income tax was lowered to 40 per cent in 1988, the share of income tax collected from the wealthiest percentile has risen from 14 to 27 per cent.

4. Those of us who believe in small government are not motivated by the desire to make the rich richer. We’re really not. We are, in most cases, nowhere near having to pay top rate tax ourselves; our most eloquent champions over the years have been modestly-paid academics. We believe that economic freedom will enrich the country as a whole. Yes, the wealthy might become wealthier still, but we don't see that as an argument against raising living standards for the majority.

5. We are not against equality. We generally recognise the benefits in Scandinavian-style homogeneity: crime tends to be lower, people are less stressed etc. Our objection is not that egalitarianism is undesirable in itself, but that the policies required to enforce in involve a disproportionate loss of liberty and prosperity.

6. Nor, by the way, does state intervention seem to be an effective way to promote equality. On the most elemental indicators – height, calorie intake, infant mortality, literacy, longevity – Britain has been becoming a steadily more equal society since the calamity of 1066. It’s true that, around half a century ago, this approximation halted and, on some measures, went into reverse. There are competing theories as to why, but one thing is undeniable: the recent widening of the wealth gap has taken place at a time when the state controls a far greater share of national wealth than ever before.

7. Let’s tackle the idea that being on the Left means being on the side of ordinary people, while being on the Right means defending privileged elites. It’s hard to think of a single tax, or a single regulation, that doesn’t end up privileging some vested interest at the expense of the general population. The reason governments keep growing is because of what economists call ‘dispersed costs and concentrated gains’: people are generally more aware the benefits they receive than of the taxes they pay.

8. Capitalism, with all its imperfections, is the fairest scheme yet tried. In a system based on property rights and free contract, people succeed by providing an honest service to others. Bill Gates became rich by enriching hundreds of millions of us: I am typing these words using one of his programmes. He gained from the exchange (adding fractionally to his net worth), and so did I (adding to my convenience). In a state-run system, by contrast, third parties get to hand out the goodies.

9. Talking of fairness, let’s remember that the word doesn’t belong to any faction. How about parity between public and private sector pay? How about being fair to our children, whom we have freighted with a debt unprecedented in peacetime? How about being fair to the boy who leaves school at 16 and starts paying taxes to subsidise the one who goes to university? How about being fair to the unemployed, whom firms cannot afford to hire because of the social protection enjoyed by existing employees?

10. Let’s not forget ethics, either. There is virtue in deciding to do the right thing, but there is no virtue in being compelled. Choosing to give your money to charity is meritorious; paying tax is morally neutral (seehere). Evidence suggests that, as taxes rise, and the state squeezes out civic society, people give less to good causes.

Well, there you go, comrades. I don’t expect the tents outside St Paul’s to fold overnight. But perhaps we might at least engage honestly on some of these issues rather than talking past each other. ?Hasta la victoria siempre!

Daniel Hannan

Daniel Hannan is a writer and journalist, and has been Conservative MEP for South East England since 1999. He speaks French and Spanish and loves Europe, but believes that the European Union is making its constituent nations poorer, less democratic and less free.

scinlincoln

EOG Addicted
Re: Memo to the Occupy protesters: here are ten things we evil capitalists really think

Great article. The big thing Conservatives need to do is to distinguish themselves from the establishment Republicans. Conservatives need to win the battle for the party.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated
Re: Memo to the Occupy protesters: here are ten things we evil capitalists really think

How, by Birthing?

scinlincoln

EOG Addicted

If I didn't recognize your desease I'd say something mean. Others with less constraint would say things like, "your stuck on stupid", but I am compassionate to those that suffer inflictions such as yours.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

Hey, don't say that about Joe "The Gift" CONtrarian, he's my friend!

tank

EOG Dedicated

I do not agree with OWS either and this is a good top ten list.I am just glad they still have their 1st Amendment right to do this but their message just does not make sense .The politicians are the ones screwing them more then anything so go protest at the Capitol !

I dislike the Occupy Wall Street movement. It is nothing but whining and complaining. If they care about improving society, let them do something effective to better themselves and their situations. They can get educations, seek jobs and work to improve labor standards on the job, or even get practical experience and help society through volunteer work. By standing around and accomplishing nothing, they are no better than the politicians and Wall Street elites they condemn - it's just that they don't get paid the same way. I imagine that the occupy protestors are the same ones who take advantage of Obama's food stamps and all the other government programs. Take away the welfare and I'm sure they will learn to wake up and start being productive very soon.

On a more superficial note, I don't know how anyone expects to be respected by looking so dirty and messy. Maybe the occupy protestors should learn how to present themselves if they want to be more successful in the future.

tank

EOG Dedicated

I dislike the Occupy Wall Street movement. It is nothing but whining and complaining. If they care about improving society, let them do something effective to better themselves and their situations. They can get educations, seek jobs and work to improve labor standards on the job, or even get practical experience and help society through volunteer work. By standing around and accomplishing nothing, they are no better than the politicians and Wall Street elites they condemn - it's just that they don't get paid the same way. I imagine that the occupy protestors are the same ones who take advantage of Obama's food stamps and all the other government programs. Take away the welfare and I'm sure they will learn to wake up and start being productive very soon.
From the ones I have read about is that they are pissed because they spent thousands of dollars on college and now they cannot get a job so they want the government to erase their student loans.At least they are learning that their are risks in life and if you do not like your choices then blame yourself instead of everybody else.

They should have realized up front that a college can't guarantee them a job. They should have worked harder to get more experience and make themselves more marketable - even now, there are more productive things they can be doing rather than sitting around in dirty tents and complaining. People can always try harder to find a job and work their way up, or even volunteer for experience at first. Many have an entitlement attitude and won't take certain jobs because they are college educated. It also doesn't help that public assistance benefits can be just as high as lower paying jobs, which reduces incentives to work.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

A brief study of contrasts.Was the "Occupy" movement by its unspecificity and lack of goals
purposely engineered to fail,yet perversely successful in diverting and disheartening many who
participated,from creating a sustainable alternative reality.

February 29, 2012
chopstick theory

<DIR>When the young Mao Tse-tung agitated for revolution, he found a vivid way to get his
point across to an uneducated audience: He picked up a single chopstick and snapped it
in two. Then he picked up a handful of chopsticks: They would not break. Thus he showed
that so long as everyone stood side by side, no force could withstand the tide of
revolution. By gathering together China?s scattered, indignant chopsticks, Mao finally was
able to ascend Tiananmen?the Gate of Heavenly Peace ? on Oct. 1, 1949, and announce
the establishment of his republic. Whether chopsticks come singly or in a handful is now
an issue in China again. Mao?s successors, however, do the opposite of what he
advocated, mobilizing immense resources to keep chopsticks from gathering together.
The government knows that angry chopsticks are everywhere, but as long as they stay scattered, it believes it can break them in two, whatever their numbers. Thus it is that
"stability maintenance" has become a key term in contemporary China. The government
does not make public what it spends to maintain stability, but popular estimates go as
high as 600 billion yuan. As mass protests become more frequent, that figure can only
increase. </DIR>more from Yu Hua at NPQ here.
Posted by Morgan Meis
http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2012/02/chopstick-theory.html

Eye-Witness History of Occupy Wall Street Movement
Now Available
By Charles Hugh Smith
February 29, 2012

However, as of this writing, financial and resource support has been minimal. Every day
I speak with organizers and occupiers throughout the country who have played a very
significant role in building this movement and they can no longer afford to keep fighting fulltime. Just like everyone else, they have bills to pay and families to feed. Other than financially, the past five months have taken a serious physical toll on many of us. Many people have lost considerable weight, have had a nasty cold and cough, and have been getting four hours of sleep on a good night. This struggle is one that is shared by thousands of people who battle every single day. Something that people who are not on the frontlines don?t seem to understand is that we are currently fighting an all-out nonviolent war. This movement is a relentless battle that demands 24/7 commitment.

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogfeb12/OWS-book2-12.html

scrimmage

"Life is bristling with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to cultivate one's
garden."

However, as of this writing, financial and resource support has been minimal..

As it should be. If they want to sit around a dirty & messy park waving posters in the air, it should be on their own time & they should bear the costs of it.

Every day
I speak with organizers and occupiers throughout the country who have played a very
significant role in building this movement and they can no longer afford to keep fighting fulltime. Just like everyone else, they have bills to pay and families to feed. .

They should be working rather than infesting a park & leeching off the government through food stamps and other payments. I'm sure McDonald's is hiring - I wonder if they can clean up enough to look presentable for their interviews.

scrimmage

As it should be. If they want to sit around a dirty & messy park waving posters in the air, it should be on their own time & they should bear the costs of it.

They should be working rather than infesting a park & leeching off the government through food stamps and other payments. I'm sure McDonald's is hiring - I wonder if they can clean up enough to look presentable for their interviews.
Smart move keeping "Occupiers" occupied,this wasn't a spontaneous movement,but calculated
to direct protest away from the Obama administration.Laying about without a purpose,aims,or
objectives ended up discouraging a geuine response to problems,it just added to despair.

Instead of trying to change a corrupt system,which isn't capable of providing fulfilling
opportunities for many,the participants in "Occupy" could have created a different paradigm to
lend their efforts to.
Unfortunately were any viable/sustainable model outside the control of the grid actually
formed,it'd only be a matter of time before it too would be infiltrated and co-opted.

scrimmage

From a letter in October 1949 from Aldous Huxley to George Orwell:
Tuesday, 6 March 2012
1984 vs Brave New World

May I speak instead of the thing with which the book deals ? the ultimate revolution? The first hints of a philosophy of the ultimate revolution ? the revolution which lies beyond politics and economics, and which aims at total subversion of the individual's psychology and physiology ? are to be found in the Marquis de Sade, who regarded himself as the continuator, the consummator, of Robespierre and Babeuf. The philosophy of the ruling minority in Nineteen Eighty-Four is a sadism which has been carried to its logical conclusion by going beyond sex and denying it. Whether in actual fact the policy of the boot-on-the-face can go on indefinitely seems doubtful. My own belief is that the ruling oligarchy will find less arduous and wasteful ways of governing and of satisfying its lust for power, and these ways will resemble those which I described in Brave New World.

....the world's rulers will discover that infant conditioning and narco-hypnosis are more efficient, as instruments of government, than clubs and prisons, and that the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience. In other words, I feel that the nightmare of Nineteen Eighty-Four is destined to modulate into the nightmare of a world having more resemblance to that which I imagined in Brave New World. The change will be brought about as a result of a felt need for increased efficiency.

Excerpt from:
http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/03/1984-v-brave-new-world.html

scrimmage