Gruden Could Return To Coaching In 2012 And Rams Or Chargers Possible Destinations

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
In a thorough and detailed update regarding the coming turmoil in San Diego, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012, and that ESPN is aware of Gruden?s looming departure.
And here?s where it gets even more interesting. Acee reports that, if Rams owner Stan Kroenke fires coach Steve Spagnuolo and G.M. Billy Devaney, Kroenke will attempt to hire Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith (if/when Smith is fired by the Chargers) and Gruden in a package deal that would consist of a guy who never smiles, and a guy who always scowls.
Chargers owner Dean Spanos is expected to reveal next week his plans regarding the G.M. position. It?s widely regarded as a given that coach Norv Turner will be fired.
On Sunday night, Peter King of Football Night In America opined that the Rams? job could be the best one available in the 2012 hiring cycle, given the presence of Sam Bradford, the possibility of the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team come 2013.
Of course, there?s also a chance that Smith is hoping the Chargers realize that Smith could lure Gruden to San Diego as the replacement for Turner. Perhaps not coincidentally, Gruden gushed about Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers when San Diego recently played the Jaguars on Monday Night Football. (We know he does that with everyone, but it was even more over the top than usual with Rivers.)

High Times

EOG Master
Re: Gruden Could Return To Coaching In 2012 And Rams Or Chargers Possible Destinations

I'm pretty sure Gruden will never coach again.

I will believe it when I see it.

:pop:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Gruden Could Return To Coaching In 2012 And Rams Or Chargers Possible Destinations

Go back and look at past posts by me and see I have said I think Gruden will be in San Diego come next season. I have posted this numerous times. Nice to see others FINALLY chiming in saying the same thing

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

In a thorough and detailed update regarding the coming turmoil in San Diego, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012, and that ESPN is aware of Gruden’s looming departure.
And here’s where it gets even more interesting. Acee reports that, if Rams owner Stan Kroenke fires coach Steve Spagnuolo and G.M. Billy Devaney, Kroenke will attempt to hire Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith (if/when Smith is fired by the Chargers) and Gruden in a package deal that would consist of a guy who never smiles, and a guy who always scowls.
Chargers owner Dean Spanos is expected to reveal next week his plans regarding the G.M. position. It’s widely regarded as a given that coach Norv Turner will be fired.
On Sunday night, Peter King of Football Night In America opined that the Rams’ job could be the best one available in the 2012 hiring cycle, given the presence of Sam Bradford, the possibility of the top pick in the 2012 draft, and the most cap room of any team come 2013.
Of course, there’s also a chance that Smith is hoping the Chargers realize that Smith could lure Gruden to San Diego as the replacement for Turner. Perhaps not coincidentally, Gruden gushed about Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers when San Diego recently played the Jaguars on Monday Night Football. (We know he does that with everyone, but it was even more over the top than usual with Rivers.)

I heard the over-the-top praise but failed to put two and two together.

Good call, Wink.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I'd be SHOCKED if Gruden took the SD job with AJ Douchebag as the GM. Too much 'power struggle'. Gruden (and Cowher) don't need someone acting like THEY"RE the man and AJ the asshole would do just that.

Remember, AJ fired Marty after a 14-2 season, he's got an incredibly big EGO, one of the biggest in the NFL.

Personally, i wouldnt hire a 'television commentator' as a coach. The more years a guy is 'up in the booth' is one more year where players dont respect that guy as a 'coach' and 'one of them'. Those guys are viewed as 'media members' and players all know that 'media members' don't really have their back.

I'd stick with a guy who's currently a coach, find the next Sean Payton, he's out there somewhere, you dont need to be recycling chucky bitterface who hasnt won a football game in quite a long time.

tripp

EOG Master

I think it's beyond silly to think players don't respect Gruden. He's a proven coach and being in the booth on Monday nights won't impact how players see him one bit.

There is a reason teams ask about guys like him, Dungy, and Cowher every time their team has a head coaching spot available. They are great coaches that needed a couple years off (although with Dungy likely a full retirement).

Gruden will be back, although not sure it will happen this year. Cowher would shock me if he came back this year. I can see him coaching again, but not yet.

If he lands in San Diego the Chargers will win a Super Bowl within 3yrs. He needs, of course, to land a genius defensive coordinator like he had in Tb with Monte Kiffen to make that happen.

The Chargers D went south when "Lights Out" was "juicied out". Plus losing Wade Phillips and Ron Rivera didn't help at all either.

Finding quality coordinators is a must to be successful in the NFL.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Gruden is/was one of the more overrated head coaches in the game.

I'd take him as an OC but nothing more.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

I'd be SHOCKED if Gruden took the SD job with AJ Douchebag as the GM. Too much 'power struggle'.

I actually agree with you on this one Kid. Not only does AJ have a big EGO, wait until you get Gruden around. The second he won a SuperBowl in Tampa the fuckfest began. He wrote a book telling us how smart he was, ran off Rich McKay in favor of his buddy from Oakland, we went after every over-the-hill fossil left in the game and so on.

And you're right, the players don't respect this guy. Not because he was in the booth, but because of how he coaches. He has a 1 year shelf life, they love playing for him the first year, by the 2nd year the same old theatrics get old. They (players and coaches) didn't respect him at all down here not long after year two began.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I'd be SHOCKED if Gruden took the SD job with AJ Douchebag as the GM. Too much 'power struggle'. Gruden (and Cowher) don't need someone acting like THEY"RE the man and AJ the asshole would do just that.

Me, too

BUT

AJ won't be the GM for much longer. It has already been reported that not long after the season ends BOTH Norville and AJ will be unemployed. When this happens NOW Gruden will want the SD job because he will have a massive say in who is/isn't on the team

I stand by what I have been saying for months - I think Gruden stands a damn good chance of being the SD HC in 2012. Keep in mind he won his SB in SD and because of that - that place holds a special place in his heart

AND DO NOT OVERLOOK THE FACT in a few years odds are very good the Chargers will call LOS ANGELES their home. Gruden would LOVE to be the coach of an L.A. based NFL team and the media here would love to see him here

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

So Gruden will wait until Turner and then GM A.J. Smith get their walking papers.Once A.J. is out of the way then Gruden can call all the shots.After all this team is in sunny California and will most likely be in L.A. in a few years.He has what most people say is a future hall of fame QB in Phillip Rivers.The team is already built to win so he is not inheriting anything bad.

Yeah i'd say the San Diego job looks more attractive.

tripp

EOG Master

Me, too

BUT

AJ won't be the GM for much longer. It has already been reported that not long after the season ends BOTH Norville and AJ will be unemployed. When this happens NOW Gruden will want the SD job because he will have a massive say in who is/isn't on the team

I stand by what I have been saying for months - I think Gruden stands a damn good chance of being the SD HC in 2012. Keep in mind he won his SB in SD and because of that - that place holds a special place in his heart

AND DO NOT OVERLOOK THE FACT in a few years odds are very good the Chargers will call LOS ANGELES their home. Gruden would LOVE to be the coach of an L.A. based NFL team and the media here would love to see him here

I highly doubt that the fact that the SB he won was played in SD will have an impact on him taking a job there. Especially when you go on to say the team will likely be moving to LA soon.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

Reports differ on who might replace him, but evidence is mounting that Steve Spagnuolo’s third year in St. Louis will be his last.Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports that Spagnuolo is “bracing” to be let go once the season comes to an end and he expects the team to make a serious run at hiring former Titans coach Jeff Fisher. This report comes on the heels of one that puts Jon Gruden in the mix for the Rams job. Any potential coaching hire will hinge on what decision owner Stan Kroenke makes at general manager. If he fires Billy Devaney, then the next G.M. would probably have a hand in deciding the next coach of the team.If the Rams do fire Spagnuolo and land a big-name head coach to replace him, it won’t come as much of a surprise. With Sam Bradford, a high pick in 2012 and lots of cap room in coming years, there’s a lot to work with in St. Louis despite the backslide they experienced after nearly winning the NFC West in 2010.It’s shaping up to be an interesting offseason in St. Louis.

I will say this now.Jeff Fisher is very similar to Gruden in that he likes to be hands on and control everything so i don't think Fisher would go to St. Louis if AJ Smith goes there because they cannot co-exist.That is if they hire AJ Smith so its all up in the air at this point.

tripp

EOG Master

I think i would prefer the St Louis job over San Diego. San Diego has a lot more expectations to win and win in the playoffs. That is no easy task with New England, Pittsburgh and Baltimore still elite teams that aren't slowing down just yet. San Diego also has overrated talent (Talent? Yes. Best talent in the div? Yes. Not the elite talent they are made out to be though.).

St Louis you have nice building pieces in Bradford, Long, Jackson, etc. and will be able to land either Luck (which would open up a ton of possibilities) or Kalil in the draft. Also have a pathetic division to contend with and no expectations for immediate success.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

I think i would prefer the St Louis job over San Diego. San Diego has a lot more expectations to win and win in the playoffs. That is no easy task with New England, Pittsburgh and Baltimore still elite teams that aren't slowing down just yet. San Diego also has overrated talent (Talent? Yes. Best talent in the div? Yes. Not the elite talent they are made out to be though.).

St Louis you have nice building pieces in Bradford, Long, Jackson, etc. and will be able to land either Luck (which would open up a ton of possibilities) or Kalil in the draft. Also have a pathetic division to contend with and no expectations for immediate success.

Good point you made.Yes the expectations are definitely not as high plus you do have a few pieces to build around with a shitload of cap room and a top three pick in the next draft.The division is not stacked with a bunch of playoff caliber teams and its anyones division lately as different teams seem to win it in any given year.In my opinion i think Sam Bradford is going to be good just give him time.

munson15

I want winners...

I disagree on Gruden being overrated. He took a 4-12 Raider team and went 12-4 three years later, then went to Tampa and immediately won a Super Bowl with a team Dungy couldn't get over the hump with. If you want to say it went to his head and he didn't do as good a job after the SB win, I'm ok with that, but the man knows the game and he can coach. Oakland was a disaster when he got there, and became a disaster again right after he left.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

I'm in San Diego visiting now..The Acee article states that AJ and Gruden are very close, so I doubt that they would have issues based on how Acee described their relationship..I want AJ to go, unless Gruden comes on board. That is the only scenario that I could stomach AJ staying.

High Times

EOG Master

I disagree on Gruden being overrated. He took a 4-12 Raider team and went 12-4 three years later, then went to Tampa and immediately won a Super Bowl with a team Dungy couldn't get over the hump with. If you want to say it went to his head and he didn't do as good a job after the SB win, I'm ok with that, but the man knows the game and he can coach. Oakland was a disaster when he got there, and became a disaster again right after he left.

I agree.

Gruden is as sharp as they come.

I got nothing else to say about that!

:btj:

High Times

EOG Master

Except this ....................

He ain't coaching again!

:scooter

Integrity

EOG Master

either job is attractive

in stlouis, he has bradford for the next 12 years or so. in sandiego, he has about 5 good years with rivers, but a better locale to work in

he only stays out of the afc west if he's scared of :tebow (joking, of course lol)