Bowling legend Don Carter dies at age 85

nedrow9

EOG Master
Re: Bowling legend Don Carter dies at age 85

i started bowling at a young age my father took us ,i remember asking whos the best bowler , dc was the answer , remenber watching him on pba on a sat. allwith seemed to be in akron ohio firestone open , the elders here hear me loud and clear ,boys we lost a great one
rip dc

nedrow9

EOG Master

The Professional Bowlers Association said Friday that Carter died at his home in Miami on Thursday night. He recently was hospitalized with pneumonia complicated by emphysema. Carter was bowling’s original superstar. He became his sport’s most recognizable name when bowling was a fixture on TV. Carter became a leading force in the formation of the PBA in 1958.
Carter had an unorthodox bowling style, featuring a bent elbow and a deep knee bend to almost push the ball down the lane.
He was voted Bowler of the Year six times, served as the PBA’s first president and became a charter member of the PBA Hall of Fame in 1975.

carolinakid

Banned

what was the guy, back several yrs ago that started the orange ball thing, i think his 1st name started with Earl

Carter and Dick Weber. Toss up for me. Both great bowlers and great ambassadors for the game. Sad to see them both gone.

carolinakid

Banned

Scrimmage yep that the guy i was thinking of, i did buy one of those balls back then..............

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Don Carter was known as Mr. Bowler. He was voted the best bowler of the first half of the 1900s and was second to Earl Anthony for bowler of the century. Back in the 1950's the Detroit bowling scene attracted all the best bowlers from all over the country. The top league was the Detroit Travel All Star league (which still exisits to the day, and one that I am honored to bowl and belong to). The money was very lucrative back then....the league money, but it was the action bowling afterwards where guys would bowl and tremendous amounts of money were bet on the matches. Anyway, Don Carter moved from St. Louis to Detroit in the mid 50s to capture some of the money that was available here. This was before he moved back to STL to join the famous Budweiser team. Don Carter was also the first athlete to sign a Million dollar contract, signing with Ebonite in 1962. He was a pioneer of our sport and one that I've admired for a long time.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

[video=youtube_share;NZwwev-xwzM]http://youtu.be/NZwwev-xwzM[/video]