Ray Luca

EOG Master
Re: Good article on Derby prospects by Gary West

Sea Hero peaked that day.

Drysdale knows he has a freak

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Its pretty early to start selecting 'derby horses' no?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Its pretty early to start selecting 'derby horses' no?

Keep an open mind when selecting your Derby horse.

Unless you're making future bets, don't get married to your position too early.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Keep an open mind when selecting your Derby horse.

Unless you're making future bets, don't get married to your position too early.

Most 'stars' now are early developing horses who arent really geared to be successful in a mile and a quarter race in May. Right now, horses are being rated high on their talent to run fast...but the Derby is a race where the winner is a horse who can STAY. The Derby isnt really about running talent as much as it is about stamina talent. Most 'stamina' horses arent 'early developers' so many good ones show up at the last moment. This is why its hard for the 2 year old champ (or, a precocious 2 year old) to actually translate his success to winning a mile and a quarter race at CD on May 5th.

Also, CD is a very tricky surface, not every horse loves it, so if you don't have success on that surface as a 2 yo, its like pot luck. That's a hard track to be able to negotiate a mile and a quarter.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I don't worry about the surface as much as I do the post positions at Churchill....

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

There's no shortage of things to worry about in the Derby, not to mention what can happen in the weeks and months leading up to the race. I outlined some of the major points in a thread here last year. You know, the one where Uncle Mo was supposedly a lock to win the race...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

There's no shortage of things to worry about in the Derby, not to mention what can happen in the weeks and months leading up to the race. I outlined some of the major points in a thread here last year. You know, the one where Uncle Mo was supposedly a lock to lose (or never run in) the race...

FTFY cat!

Ray Luca

EOG Master

There's no shortage of things to worry about in the Derby, not to mention what can happen in the weeks and months leading up to the race. I outlined some of the major points in a thread here last year. You know, the one where Uncle Mo was supposedly a lock to win the race...

Didn't Mo win..? :LMAO

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I always root for the Derby winner to capture the Preakness and then for some strange reason I root against the Derby-Preakness winner in the Belmont Stakes, denying the sport its 12th Triple Crown winner and extending the 30-plus year drought.

I'm not a hater but go ahead and label me cruel and twisted.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

We went home so sad when Smarty Jones lost the Belmont. The connections of Big Brown, however, deserve nothing good.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I was at Belmont Park the day Victory Gallop nailed Real Quiet on the wire.

I swear the huge grandstand shook as the horses crossed the finish line.