My Tuesday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy is set to appear on tonight's edition (January 24) of The EOG Sports Hour, a one-hour radio program broadcast live from Las Vegas every weekday night at 10:00 p.m. Pacific on KLAV-AM 1230 (www.klav1230am.com).

Donaghy officiated 772 games and 20 playoff games in a career that spanned 13 NBA seasons, the last four tainted by a betting scandal that rocked the league.

Labeled a "rogue" referee by commissioner David Stern, Donaghy will address a variety of topics including his early years as a young official, the culture of fraud and favoritism rampant in the league and the manipulation of playoff results to improve the NBA's balance sheets, specifically the case of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings.

In his book "Personal Foul: A First-Person Account of the Scandal that Rocked the NBA," Donaghy concedes he wagered on NBA games but steadfastly maintains he never influenced game outcomes when his bets were at stake. He denies "fixing" any NBA games, a claim most serious sports bettors and close followers of the scandal find difficult to believe.

Here are my notes for tonight's interview with Tim Donaghy:

---Grew up in a suburb of Philadelphia

---Graduate of Cardinal O'Hara High School (1985) and Villanova University (1989)

---Father Gerry was a DI referee in the ACC and A10

---Ironically, Donaghy's father preached honesty, integrity and impartiality

---Divorced father of four daughters (Meghan, Shannon, Bridget and Molly)

---Currently undergoing treatment for a gambling addiction

---Sentenced to 15 months in federal prison for his part in the NBA gambling scandal

---Served from September 23, 2008 to November 4, 2009

---Known as Inmate Donaghy No. 755-377-053

---Was attacked in prison by "Big Paulie"

---First two words in Donaghy's book: I'm guilty

---NBA salary started at $69,000 in 1994 and grew to $260,000 in 2006

---"MJ had the glare, Kobe was in your ear and Shaq used humor to make his point."

---"The behavior of NBA referees was the opposite of what the league expected."

---"I always felt guilty but not guilty enough and not for long."

---Claims referees he dubbed "company men" rigged the 2002 Western Conference Finals

---Confrontation with Rasheed Wallace

---Steve Javie v Allen Iverson

---Officiating LeBron James

---Thoughts on the shortened season

---Best officials in the game today

---The Master List of Officials

---Officials in other sports and possible gambling scandals

---The topic of pointspreads in NBA circles

---Little known fact: Donaghy was one of three officials who called the Pacers-Pistons brawl on November 19, 2004 at the Palace of Auburn Hills

---Future goals

TUESDAY'S BEST BET.....Play 554 Oklahoma +6.5 over Baylor. The Bears lost to Kansas and Missouri by getting outrebounded and outhustled. The rigors of a long season and a 17-0 start to the campaign are taking a toll on Baylor, a team with small guards and a physically-thin frontline. Let's trust veteran coach Lon Kruger to devise a plan to keep OU competitive as a generous underdog at the Lloyd Noble Center.

COMING WEDNESDAY......An introduction to a Super Bowl prop contest guaranteed to offer positive expectancy.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Re: My Tuesday blog

Really looking forward to your conversation with Tim...you should really get national exposure if you pull this off and everything runs smoothly...

Paleface

EOG 500 Champion Dec. 2013

JK, I know you probably have a bunch of things lined up to talk about with Tim this evening but I was wondering if you could possibly ask him if he has any substantiated knowledge of point shaving going on in the NBA within the last ten or so years. Obviously he isn't going to give names but I am very interested (as I'm sure other listeners are as well) as to the integrity of the NBA game now with sports betting being ubiquitous with the advent of internet gambling.

If he tries to skirt the question, I hope you can grill him and try to get him to answer truthfully. But then if he does avoid the question, then I'm guessing the answer is yes..

Some names that come up are players like Charles Barkley, Antoine Walker, Darrel Armstrong, etc.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

John, just after the scandal broke you blogged: "Tim Donaghy , you cost me $2,000."
I'm wondering if you might frame that statement into some kind of question or comment to Tim.

Since he is in treatment for gambling addition, I take it he knows the audience of this particualr interview are on completely different sides of the fence, including the esteemed host and co-host.

An as JK likes to put it, "I gamble unapologetically."

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks and GL with the Sooners, JK. Fascinating tidbit about Donaghy officiating the 'riot' in Detroit years ago.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated

How can he be "currently undergoing treatment for a gambling addiction" and touting games for a sports advisory service? Did he just sell his name, like Lem Banker or Jimmy Vaccaro ?

dogball

EOG Master

How can he be "currently undergoing treatment for a gambling addiction" and touting games for a sports advisory service? Did he just sell his name, like Lem Banker or Jimmy Vaccaro ?
Good point. He is disingenuous about his treatment, don't blame him for that but the two are mutually exclusive

JCROM777

EOG Addicted

JK, good luck with the sooners tonight. I think the time is right for you to start a winning streak.
Did you get the Giants + 3 1/2 when the line came out like the sharps did ? I bet the Patriots
last February to win the SB AT 5-1 0dds. I may go down the LVH on Friday to take a look at the prop sheets to see if Jay has any good nuggets on their props. I think the Pats will win the SB
but no way in hell will I give the Giants 3 points in this game.:pop:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK, I know you probably have a bunch of things lined up to talk about with Tim this evening but I was wondering if you could possibly ask him if he has any substantiated knowledge of point shaving going on in the NBA within the last ten or so years. Obviously he isn't going to give names but I am very interested (as I'm sure other listeners are as well) as to the integrity of the NBA game now with sports betting being ubiquitous with the advent of internet gambling.

If he tries to skirt the question, I hope you can grill him and try to get him to answer truthfully. But then if he does avoid the question, then I'm guessing the answer is yes..

Some names that come up are players like Charles Barkley, Antoine Walker, Darrel Armstrong, etc.

Excellent question.

I promise to ask Donaghy.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

John, just after the scandal broke you blogged: "Tim Donaghy , you cost me $2,000."
I'm wondering if you might frame that statement into some kind of question or comment to Tim.

Phoenix at Orlando.

I remember the game like it was yesterday.

I bet Orlando despite the money pouring in on the Suns.

Oops.

Donaghy called three early fouls on Dwight Howard allowing Amare Stoudemire to enjoy a big game.

Donaghy also ejected Orlando head coach Brian Hill.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Since he is in treatment for gambling addition, I take it he knows the audience of this particualr interview are on completely different sides of the fence, including the esteemed host and co-host.

An as JK likes to put it, "I gamble unapologetically."

Thanks for checking in, pete.

Donaghy knows our radio program is dedicated to the hearts and minds of sports bettors everywhere.

I'm sure a lot of gamblers purchased his book, Personal Foul.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks and GL with the Sooners, JK. Fascinating tidbit about Donaghy officiating the 'riot' in Detroit years ago.

I wonder if he bet the game.

Maybe he bet the "under" and the lack of whistles caused the physical play to begin?

Purely speculation.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Curious conflict.

I'll ask him about it, Joe.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK, good luck with the sooners tonight. I think the time is right for you to start a winning streak.
Did you get the Giants + 3 1/2 when the line came out like the sharps did ? I bet the Patriots
last February to win the SB AT 5-1 0dds. I may go down the LVH on Friday to take a look at the prop sheets to see if Jay has any good nuggets on their props. I think the Pats will win the SB
but no way in hell will I give the Giants 3 points in this game.:pop:

You've got the Super Bowl favorite at odds of 5-1.

Nicely done, Joe.

It's unlikely I'll bet the side or total for Super Bowl XLVI.

I think the numbers are where they're supposed to be.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Ask Donaghy if he fixed Game 3 between Suns-Spurs back in 2007, by calling early fouls on Stoudemire, and taking him out of the game.

Bastard. :btj:

ComptrBob

EOG Master

Ask Donaghy if he fixed Game 3 between Suns-Spurs back in 2007, by calling early fouls on Stoudemire, and taking him out of the game.

Bastard. :btj:

Aha!

I remember chatting with JK in 2007 or so after the Spurs beat the Cavs, but before anything was publically known about the Donaghy scandal. JK commented that the Spurs proved themselves the best team in the NBA for that year. I disagreed saying they only won the NBA title, but with the refereeing involved I still thought the Suns were the best team in the NBA.

As JK knows, I am normally not a "conspiracy" guy, but I vividly remember being on the phone with a friend doing in-progress betting on that very Game 3 and making the comment that either the refs are totally incompetent or the game is fixed. A year later, maybe I got my answer.

brians

EOG Dedicated

Q: Is this the biggest scandal in professional sports?
(Follow Up) - If so, does it stroke your ego to know you were at the center of it?

Q: Should we as bettors (bettors first, fans second) be shocked that this happened? Because I'm not shocked, always saw something like this as being inevitable.

Q: Would a higher salary have kept him from going rogue?

Q: Did he MAKE more calls when the "fix was in" or intentionally MISS more calls?

Q: Any referees that oficiated with him on fixed games question his calls? Any other refs approach him about how he was calling a game?

Q: Does he remember making any calls where he immediately thought to himself "oh shit, that's too obvious, that's gonna blow my cover" ?

Q: Probably the game that sticks out to most is Game 3 of the 2007 Suns/Spurs series. Somebody did an analysis of that game proving that Donaghy wasn't the only one making questionable calls that favored the Spurs in that game. Did he solicit other officials' help in fixing games? Did he ever consider getting other officials involved in the fix?

Q: Was he ever afraid of a player's/coach reaction after a bull shit call or was he oblivous/numb to any reactions?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Q: Is this the biggest scandal in professional sports?
(Follow Up) - If so, does it stroke your ego to know you were at the center of it?

Q: Should we as bettors (bettors first, fans second) be shocked that this happened? Because I'm not shocked, always saw something like this as being inevitable.

Q: Would a higher salary have kept him from going rogue?

Q: Did he MAKE more calls when the "fix was in" or intentionally MISS more calls?

Q: Any referees that oficiated with him on fixed games question his calls? Any other refs approach him about how he was calling a game?

Q: Does he remember making any calls where he immediately thought to himself "oh shit, that's too obvious, that's gonna blow my cover" ?

Q: Probably the game that sticks out to most is Game 3 of the 2007 Suns/Spurs series. Somebody did an analysis of that game proving that Donaghy wasn't the only one making questionable calls that favored the Spurs in that game. Did he solicit other officials' help in fixing games? Did he ever consider getting other officials involved in the fix?

Q: Was he ever afraid of a player's/coach reaction after a bull shit call or was he oblivous/numb to any reactions?

Excellent input, brians.

I owe you one.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Aha!

I remember chatting with JK in 2007 or so after the Spurs beat the Cavs, but before anything was publically known about the Donaghy scandal. JK commented that the Spurs proved themselves the best team in the NBA for that year. I disagreed saying they only won the NBA title, but with the refereeing involved I still thought the Suns were the best team in the NBA.

As JK knows, I am normally not a "conspiracy" guy, but I vividly remember being on the phone with a friend doing in-progress betting on that very Game 3 and making the comment that either the refs are totally incompetent or the game is fixed. A year later, maybe I got my answer.

And maybe not.

I still maintain the Spurs were the better team despite the Suns having to play against two Timmy D's.

:houra

Good luck with the Sooners tonight JK. Great respect for coach K for the honest job he did at UNLV. And special kudos to you for landing Tim Donaghy for the radio show. If Donaghy is in a generous mood would love to get some PERSONAL FOUL books to give away as future contest prizes!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Good luck with the Sooners tonight JK. Great respect for coach K for the honest job he did at UNLV. And special kudos to you for landing Tim Donaghy for the radio show. If Donaghy is in a generous mood would love to get some PERSONAL FOUL books to give away as future contest prizes!

Thanks Jackie Boy.

I'll put in the request to Donaghy.

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

ask him if he read gaming the game and his thoughts on the book.....ask if he knows the line on the super bowl and if he has any thoughts ??

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

nice work as always, JK...i haven't tuned in for awhile, but will tonight...looking forward to it..

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

This will be a fascinating listen if he follows through and then actually opens up and doesn't just give lip service. We'll see.

I would suspect if he says too much the NBA cronies will chase after him with a lawsuit.

I too would like to hear his comments on that '07 Suns vs Spurs game. I didn't have a bet on the game but as someone who just happened to be rooting for the Suns because I thought they were the better team, that definitely looked like a fixed game.