JK's Radio Show....

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Thoughts and opinons on how the show is recieved by the poster community and opinons on if the show helps the forum....

I thoroughly enjoy the shows(some more than others)...the info and ideas on gambling are top notch along with most of the guests...It gives EOG recognition and gives them something else that other forums do not have...

I don't know exactly how much the shows cost or the revenue it brings in, but the info is top notch...

I don't know if it helps new guys(and old posters) click on the banners but if I were the owners of EOG, I would recommend that those who do click on the banners and deposit, should be made aware of the radio show when they do click...will always remember Tuckman stressing that new blood is necessary to make these radio shows and the forum work...

Since the shows started, EOG and JK have given away a lot of money, thanks to the generosity of a couple of sponsors...

I give the radio show a B+ right now...not bad for the little time they have been on the air....I really hope the show survives...

cheapseats

EOG Master
Re: JK's Radio Show....

Like it, listen to it and learn from it. I'd add a section to the show, like JK's Weekly, or something thereabouts. Make it a learning minute for the show, ( keep some of the daily 5w's in tact for this portion of the show) maybe a separate sponsor or such would be cool.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I'll try hard to improve the show from a "B+" to an "A."

Thanks for the review, VD.

And thanks to dsethi and cheapseats for their support of the program.

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

need to do a horse racing show or two...and not on a specific race but more on how the handicappers derive their plays....some stories on how they started and grew in the sport..what tracks and why they cap those tracks...rebates....polytrack....so many quality storylines....and then one play for the next days card....
i think you overvalue the selections and undervalue the storylines.....

brians

EOG Dedicated

Content is authentic. Information is accurate. Topics are relevant.

JK is second to none. His pace and conversational style make the show an easy listen.
The guests have been a great addition to the show. The Friday night football & basketball contest shows are great ... I wouldn't mind going to 2 hours on Friday nights with the 1st hour following the standard format of the nightly show (so much to talk about during football & college hoop seasons with so much action on the docket the next day) and the 2nd hour dedicated to the contest selections. That's probably unrealistic, air time & budgets are obviously limited.

The radio show makes the forum better. It offers topics for conversation and I think it promotes enthusiasm on the forum. I wonder if posting volume has gone up since the radio show went to five nights a week? I also think JK does a good job of weaving discussions and posters from EOG into the show without it sounding contrived.

I cringe when I hear more attention will be put on the off-shore world. I know the origin of EOG so I understand there is interest or demand for it, as well as a responsibility to sponsors. But I've been out of the off-shore world for a couple years now so it's irrelevant to me. Having said that, I am interested when the off-shore discussion occurs within the context of Vegas.

One more thought ... And this may be unpopular because the community is clearly more interested in finding winners rather than dwelling on losers, but I would love to get a post-game perspective on line moves and results. So for example, Heim gave out New Mexico -11 last night, I believe that game closed 9.5 today and sure enough the game lands on 10. I wouldn't mind a short segment that analyzes the move, what influenced the move, implications of the move and ultimate result, etc. Only needs to be done on one game, maybe it's a weekly feature, even just once a week could yield some interesting insight. Won't be a monday-morning-quarterback type thing but real insight into how and why the line moved.

Final note -- I like the time slot. Info & results are hot. I rarely miss a show even though I'm on the east coast.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

need to do a horse racing show or two...and not on a specific race but more on how the handicappers derive their plays....some stories on how they started and grew in the sport..what tracks and why they cap those tracks...rebates....polytrack....so many quality storylines....and then one play for the next days card....
i think you overvalue the selections and undervalue the storylines.....

Consider it done.

I love horse racing.

I think the sport teaches gamblers the finer points of assessing value.

Thanks for critique, Dink.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Content is authentic. Information is accurate. Topics are relevant.

JK is second to none. His pace and conversational style make the show an easy listen.
The guests have been a great addition to the show. The Friday night football & basketball contest shows are great ... I wouldn't mind going to 2 hours on Friday nights with the 1st hour following the standard format of the nightly show (so much to talk about during football & college hoop seasons with so much action on the docket the next day) and the 2nd hour dedicated to the contest selections. That's probably unrealistic, air time & budgets are obviously limited.

The radio show makes the forum better. It offers topics for conversation and I think it promotes enthusiasm on the forum. I wonder if posting volume has gone up since the radio show went to five nights a week? I also think JK does a good job of weaving discussions and posters from EOG into the show without it sounding contrived.

I cringe when I hear more attention will be put on the off-shore world. I know the origin of EOG so I understand there is interest or demand for it, as well as a responsibility to sponsors. But I've been out of the off-shore world for a couple years now so it's irrelevant to me. Having said that, I am interested when the off-shore discussion occurs within the context of Vegas.

One more thought ... And this may be unpopular because the community is clearly more interested in finding winners rather than dwelling on losers, but I would love to get a post-game perspective on line moves and results. So for example, Heim gave out New Mexico -11 last night, I believe that game closed 9.5 today and sure enough the game lands on 10. I wouldn't mind a short segment that analyzes the move, what influenced the move, implications of the move and ultimate result, etc. Only needs to be done on one game, maybe it's a weekly feature, even just once a week could yield some interesting insight. Won't be a monday-morning-quarterback type thing but real insight into how and why the line moved.

Final note -- I like the time slot. Info & results are hot. I rarely miss a show even though I'm on the east coast.

You made my day, brians.

Line analysis is an overlooked part of what we do.

I think EOG contributor try3 said he incorporates past pointspread moves to predict future moves and possible outcomes.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Definite change of start time would be an improvement....maybe an 8PM Eastern time slot?

Here's the problem with 8:00 p.m. Eastern: we're competing against live sporting events.

The six-hour period between 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. Pacific time eliminates a lot of our live audience.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I also suggest that JK use more radio hosts during the week...would free up Glisan to write more articles....maybe 2 or 3 different posters a week to co-host with JK....

JK...what is KLAV's take on all this? Are they happy with the format?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I also suggest that JK use more radio hosts during the week...would free up Glisan to write more articles....maybe 2 or 3 different posters a week to co-host with JK....

JK...what is KLAV's take on all this? Are they happy with the format?

KLAV likes the show, Arturo.

I think our guest list is the key to the show.

So far, so good with guests like Mike Greene, Paul Bovi, Arne K. Lang, John Netto, Alan Dinkenson, Tim Donaghy, Bob Scucci, Bert Osborne, Jimmy Vaccaro, etc.

I'll try harder to recruit more newsmakers, bookmakers and oddsmakers.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I will try to recruit a couple bookmakers for you on my trip to Costa Rica....a good guest would be Nick Bogdanovich from the old Horseshoe days....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I will try to recruit a couple bookmakers for you on my trip to Costa Rica....a good guest would be Nick Bogdanovich from the old Horseshoe days....

Much appreciated, VD.

Nick is an excellent guest and I'll reach out to him this week.

Joan Kelly

EOG Member

I'm so proud of my brother that every time I hear the show I can't help but to rub my chubby against his favorite couch cushion as a child.

justintalk

EOG Veteran

Sorry dink but the majority of people dont care about hockey wrestling and horse racing.Football is the king followed by baseball and basketball.Since the show is on at 10 pm john should talk about the following days basketball right now.The friday show is probably the most listened show of the week why because people give out picks.The majority of people are looking for bets the next day thats it plain and simple.Recaping what happened is a waste of time just focus on tomorrows games and find guys who pick winners.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Sorry dink but the majority of people dont care about hockey wrestling and horse racing.Football is the king followed by baseball and basketball.Since the show is on at 10 pm john should talk about the following days basketball right now.The friday show is probably the most listened show of the week why because people give out picks.The majority of people are looking for bets the next day thats it plain and simple.Recaping what happened is a waste of time just focus on tomorrows games and find guys who pick winners.

Football, basketball and baseball comprise at least 95% of the action of the licensed sports books in Nevada.

More preview, less review.

Got it, justintalk.

dinkenson

EOG Dedicated

disagree respectfully....you can write down picks for tomorrow in the forum...you do not need to go on the radio to say them out loud...the radio should be a learning and entertaining experience, especially focused on the art of gambling and of course wrestling.....seriously though having a guest on tuesday saying " i like new england" and one on weds. saying " i like the giants" is a waste of valuable air time

justintalk

EOG Veteran

"Dedicated to the hearts and minds of sports bettors everywhere" here is the key word "bettors".All people want is action for the next day yes if you interview robert walker its interesting but people want plays every day.Here is what I would do tonight call micelli heim railbird boston and so on ask anybody and everybody even mammon one two plays for tomorrow.I really am not interested in hearing how peaceful it is in south carolina if glisan has a play for tomorrow that all the majority what to hear.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The art of gambling, I like it.

The goal is to present information in an entertaining way.

I like to hear serious gamblers talk about all topics, not just sports.

I'll continue to work hard to improve the guest list.

Thanks for the suggestions, men.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Nightly book section: use the sponsors above to offer just listeners special bonuses and in incentives to deposit. Promote the book in question that night, give out a deposit bonus to just the listeners (make the bonus available for say 48 hours, must click thru the Eog link if not already a customer at the book).

Very easy to track as well by the bonus code you give out to see if its working or anyone is depositing.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Nightly book section: use the sponsors above to offer just listeners special bonuses and in incentives to deposit. Promote the book in question that night, give out a deposit bonus to just the listeners (make the bonus available for say 48 hours, must click thru the Eog link if not already a customer at the book).

Very easy to track as well by the bonus code you give out to see if its working or anyone is depositing.

Excellent idea, Tuck.

Hope your family is doing well.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

It can even be a book of the week, doesn't have to change nightly

The radio show is defiantly unique compared to other forums, but you could have Billy Walters on nightly giving away his plays, if the show does not generate money the well is only gonna last so long and there goes uniqueness (if that's even a word) if it's no longer playing because Eog is broke

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

It can even be a book of the week, doesn't have to change nightly

The radio show is defiantly unique compared to other forums, but you could have Billy Walters on nightly giving away his plays, if the show does not generate money the well is only gonna last so long and there goes uniqueness (if that's even a word) if it's no longer playing because Eog is broke

Good points, Tuck.

The radio show offers a certain cachet and it's also a point of separation from similar sports betting websites.

I like your "Book of the Week" idea.

brians

EOG Dedicated

"Dedicated to the hearts and minds of sports bettors everywhere" here is the key word "bettors".All people want is action for the next day yes if you interview robert walker its interesting but people want plays every day.Here is what I would do tonight call micelli heim railbird boston and so on ask anybody and everybody even mammon one two plays for tomorrow.I really am not interested in hearing how peaceful it is in south carolina if glisan has a play for tomorrow that all the majority what to hear.

Wouldn't want to see the EOG Sports Hour turn into a picks show. There are plenty of places to go if all you want to do is tail other people. I value the analysis more than the pick.

justintalk

EOG Veteran

Obviously I would not want "picks "without analysis that is the key.I dont tail people but I like to listen to other opinions.I am sure the friday show is the most popular show of the week.Why because guys give out plays with analysis.

Like the show, like the station, like the time. Would like to have a rule--co-host must be in studio. Much better give and take between JK and David when David is present. When DG on road suggest tapping Paul Bovi to be interim co-host. Also, Matt Youmans has the Hot Corner in the RJ. Would like to have an EOG HOTSEAT where cappers such as Krackman, Alan Boston, Ted Srvansky, etc...would come on show and analyze a game for the next day. Game wins and they're back in the HOTSEAT the next night. Game loses and new capper is up. John Barr could be one of the cappers and also the sponsor of the segment. Any capper that hits 12 in a row wins a new car from Barr! EOG posters could also take part giving our online community a shot at the prize.

Chalky White

EOG Enthusiast

I like the show. But being east coast sometimes I am sleeping or in bed with some hot super model by the time its on.

I like the show. But being east coast sometimes I am sleeping or in bed with some hot super model by the time its on.

Score with the hot super model and catch the show all at the same time wearing radio head phones. Just tell her your doctor has prescribed special ear supporters to be worn whenever you lie down to alleviate your tinnitus!

:pop:

Gambling radio content has dropped through the floor. Five years ago, it was all over the Internet and radio.

JK remains as the voice of Las Vegas.

Only media guy I trust.

PonyOne

EOG Enthusiast

Jk,
I have always enjoyed the show and I think there are a number of good suggestions that you seem to be willing to incorporate into your show. Not every show is going to appeal to everyone, and that is ok. I think you'll hear from many if you start beating a certain subject or sport into the ground.

A couple of ideas I have is one; dedicate the (Tues/Wed) after the NCAA Basketball selections are made to discussing all the Thursday games and spreads (on Tuesday) and the Friday games (on Wednesday). Maybe have a guest or two giving their angles and allowing follower's online to offer some analyisis.

Idea Two is to pick a couple of nights (maybe the week before the regular season starts) and go over the American League and then the next night National League's season totals and possible prop bets. Again, have a guest or two that is considered "sharp" in the baseball world and get their opinions, along with online analysis and questions.

I always enjoy horse racing talk, anytime Alan Boston is on, Jimmy V, Nick B. and Robert Walker, and Mike Greene. Why, because they give unique insight and I usually come away learning something. Picks are nice by guests when they win, but it should never be the focus. I like your pick segment because it is part of the show, and it shows your true interest in always trying to find a daily winner.

My only turn-off is when you do not have a guest or someone like David G. to talk with as you can get a little long winded and personal. Your back and forth and questions highlight your knowledge of all sports and the homework you put in to know your guest a little bit better.

Keep up the great work,

PonyOne

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Gambling radio content has dropped through the floor. Five years ago, it was all over the Internet and radio.

JK remains as the voice of Las Vegas.

Only media guy I trust.

Love getting your endorsement, Jeff.

You're tough but fair.

I'll try my best to maintain your trust.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Jk,
I have always enjoyed the show and I think there are a number of good suggestions that you seem to be willing to incorporate into your show. Not every show is going to appeal to everyone, and that is ok. I think you'll hear from many if you start beating a certain subject or sport into the ground.

A couple of ideas I have is one; dedicate the (Tues/Wed) after the NCAA Basketball selections are made to discussing all the Thursday games and spreads (on Tuesday) and the Friday games (on Wednesday). Maybe have a guest or two giving their angles and allowing follower's online to offer some analyisis.

Idea Two is to pick a couple of nights (maybe the week before the regular season starts) and go over the American League and then the next night National League's season totals and possible prop bets. Again, have a guest or two that is considered "sharp" in the baseball world and get their opinions, along with online analysis and questions.

I always enjoy horse racing talk, anytime Alan Boston is on, Jimmy V, Nick B. and Robert Walker, and Mike Greene. Why, because they give unique insight and I usually come away learning something. Picks are nice by guests when they win, but it should never be the focus. I like your pick segment because it is part of the show, and it shows your true interest in always trying to find a daily winner.

My only turn-off is when you do not have a guest or someone like David G. to talk with as you can get a little long winded and personal. Your back and forth and questions highlight your knowledge of all sports and the homework you put in to know your guest a little bit better.

Keep up the great work,

PonyOne

Thanks for your input, PonyOne.

I appreciated your suggestions.

I'll try my best to avoid being "windy."

Nothing worse than a long-winded host.

I loved the three C's the late New York Yankees' public address announcer Bob Sheppard preached: clear, concise and correct.

Now if only my selections could fall in the correct category.