Luke Weaver

Gabe

Horse racing expert
The kid has been amazing. Cards might have their next ace. Kid has been lights out.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Re: Luke Weaver

His fastball/changeup action is a sight to see. You think he's going FB and gets you with his CU.

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned

HE BAILED ME OUT LAST NIGHT I BET IT AT 6 YESTERDAY MORNING LAYING -160 THEN I SAW WHEN I GOT HOME IT WAS CLOSE TO -190 I GUESS I WAS FINALLY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF A LINE MOVE AND IT ACTUALLY WON :btj:

Gabe

Horse racing expert

was hoping to get more thoughts on this guy from guys like valuist, heisenberg, knuckles, javy...

Valuist

EOG Master

I thought Reyes was the guy they were really banking on but he got hurt and missed the whole year. I've only seen one of Weaver's starts and he looked good. Is he any relation to Jeff and Jared?

Valuist

EOG Master

The Cardinals have been a tough team for me to figure out this year. Lots of offensive talent; rookies like Pham and DeJong have been big. 1-5 their rotation is not bad at all, although Martinez probably not a legit #1. Defense hurts them, but hard to believe with the Pirates having such a bad year that the Cardinals may not outfinish the Brewers.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Weaver is high effort guy and not much muscle on him

Worries me, how long did Lincecum last? And even that much time was a bit surprising. He is good, but I'm not sure he'll stay healthy.

Valuist

EOG Master

6'2" 170 so he should probably get into the weight room and build up his quads. Lincecum was under 6 feet but he had a bit of crossfire going. Sale is 6'6" 175 and so far no injuries although he tends to tail off a bit in the second half.
"

Heim

EOG Master

The only advantage Weaver has tomorrow is Cubs have never seen him, notwithstanding that, current price too steep. Cubs are a better team.

Valuist

EOG Master

The sample size is pretty small for Weaver but I use several power ratings for each starter and Weaver is rated higher than Lester on each of them.

Valuist

EOG Master

The only advantage Weaver has tomorrow is Cubs have never seen him, notwithstanding that, current price too steep. Cubs are a better team.

It will be real interesting to see how teams handle him the second time they see him. He's been dominant, but that second go around will be a good test.

As for today, this is the 5th time this season St. Louis will have seen Lester.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I'd bet the Cardinals today if I was betting this game. Cubs are playing better but I'll take desperation at home to have some impact. With a magic number of 2 and 3 games left against the Reds, this is already a slam dunk in Cubs minds I'm sure.

Valuist

EOG Master

I'd bet the Cardinals today if I was betting this game. Cubs are playing better but I'll take desperation at home to have some impact. With a magic number of 2 and 3 games left against the Reds, this is already a slam dunk in Cubs minds I'm sure.

Agreed. I bet them last night at minus 119. But at nearly minus 140 at several places, it's too late to bet St. Louis now.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Welcome to the show, little weavy. Cubs are going to own this Cards franchise for a decade or more.

Any kid who can't get Jason Heyward out with his life on the line... wow, not a good sign at all for the little young'in.

Heim

EOG Master

The other day Javier Baez dove into 1st base to beat out a grounder like it was GM7 of the World Series. You don't fade good teams with that mind set especially at inflated must win pricing.

Gabe

Horse racing expert

good call heim. Never in doubt, those are the kind of wins I like.

This thread jinxed the kid. Kid was on a roll of not giving up more than 2 runs in a start and gives up 4 first inning.

Can't wait to get that 10 units of Cubs money on Sunday. Was a little bit of a sweat but looking like it's in now.

Valuist

EOG Master

Cubs nats good series

It will be a good series. And unlike last year, when the Dodgers were scared shitless to run on the Cubs starters, old school Dusty won't. Dusty sure isn't the best manager, but he understands if the pitcher is going to give you a stolen base, you take it. Not that I'm complaining. Apparently Friedman doesn't believe in the stolen base. I'm sure that's not Roberts' doing. But it was funny seeing those Dodgers taking giant leads but leaning back toward first. Trea Turner may be the most important player for the Nats in the series.

richsox24

EOG Master

The most important thing out of last nights game is the fact that Jon Lester may be getting into form again. Because the Cubs have no shot to repeat without a good Lester. When he's on his game, he can partially carry a team like he did last year.

Valuist

EOG Master

The most important thing out of last nights game is the fact that Jon Lester may be getting into form again. Because the Cubs have no shot to repeat without a good Lester. When he's on his game, he can partially carry a team like he did last year.

No question Lester has to be in form.

The Miguel Montero 7 stolen base game earlier in the year was against the Nats. Contreras does have a much better arm, no doubt, but most bases are stolen off the pitcher, not the catcher. Lester's issues throwing to first are well documented, and while Arrieta has no problem throwing to any base, he does have a long delivery to make him susceptible to a good base stealer like Turner. The good news for the Cubs is I doubt we will see Harper running.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Running on Hendricks/Contreras isn't easy (not looking up the numbers, but with Hendricks he has a great pick off move and is smarter than the runner.

For the Nationals, I'd go Arrieta, Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Arrieta

I will not be happy if Lester is thrown out there for game 1 with his current form. And I do not want Lester/Quintana back to back...

Valuist

EOG Master

Running on Hendricks/Contreras isn't easy (not looking up the numbers, but with Hendricks he has a great pick off move and is smarter than the runner.

For the Nationals, I'd go Arrieta, Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Arrieta

I will not be happy if Lester is thrown out there for game 1 with his current form. And I do not want Lester/Quintana back to back...

The pitching rotation is getting all the attention, but what outfield will Maddon go with? He probably will platoon, to some extent. I doubt Schwarber will be in against Gio. I think Almora needs to be in the lineup. He can run down anything in CF.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

The pitching rotation is getting all the attention, but what outfield will Maddon go with? He probably will platoon, to some extent. I doubt Schwarber will be in against Gio. I think Almora needs to be in the lineup. He can run down anything in CF.

I think you've gotta start La Stella in game 1 somehow. I'm not sure how, because Maddon loves Baez in the playoffs. But La Stella can catch up to hard throwing righties and is 3-6 with a HR, a triple, and a double vs Scherzer and Baez is 0-5 with 3 K's. But it's also conceivable Maddon might not even consider starting La Stella at 3rd in the playoffs. He's not great defensively.

Valuist

EOG Master

I think you've gotta start La Stella in game 1 somehow. I'm not sure how, because Maddon loves Baez in the playoffs. But La Stella can catch up to hard throwing righties and is 3-6 with a HR, a triple, and a double vs Scherzer and Baez is 0-5 with 3 K's. But it's also conceivable Maddon might not even consider starting La Stella at 3rd in the playoffs. He's not great defensively.

I think you need the best defensive team out there for a post season game. That would mean Baez has to play, and Schwarber would be on the bench.