National League ROY

MrTop

EOG Master
Tatis will never be a .300 hitter long term striking out 30% of the time. Next year his avg will take a dip. More like a .270 Unless he changes his swing. He is hitting .419 babip LOL … Everything is falling in for him. Alonzo a better hitter imo more than 100 more at bats though

Last edited:
Tatis will never be a .300 hitter long term striking out 30% of the time. Next year his avg will take a dip. More like a .270 Unless he changes his swing. He is hitting .419 babip LOL … Everything is falling in for him. Alonzo a better hitter imo more than 100 more at bats though
Your critique is plate discipline/2 strike hitting. Well, he's also only 20 years old. No doubt luck is on his side right now, but the kid is supremely talented. Pop off the bat is eerily similar to a young Machado with speed to cause problems on the basepaths

MrTop

EOG Master
ok....but he has to change something. The best hitters to ever play the game do not strikeout 30% of the time. Something will have to give . He either strikeout less or the batting avg will drop. I am not saying he will turn into as bad as joey gallo but he is headed down in avg.

machado whiffs 16% lifetime totally better hitter. even when younger

ok....but he has to change something. The best hitters to ever play the game do not strikeout 30% of the time. Something will have to give . He either strikeout less or the batting avg will drop. I am not saying he will turn into as bad as joey gallo but he is headed down in avg.
Because their careers didn't end after 162 games. And most weren't thrust into the top of the order at age 20. BB/K stats are ones that players regularly improve upon over time. A 30% k-rate is definitely something to point a finger at, however it's definitely not something that can't be easily improved. Maybe adjustments dont get made and the talent never manifests itself into a stellar career. Time will tell

kane

EOG master

Topper, the kid is 20 years old, I'm sure he'll figure it out. He's one of the best prospects in the game, and he's nowhere close to his prime years, he's far from a finished product

machado whiffs 16% lifetime totally better hitter. even when younger
At age 20 his OPS was a mere 200pts lower than Tatis. Yah, you're right my bad

MrTop

EOG Master
tatis has only 243 AB he has a long way to go to be a good hitter looking at his whiff rate. .321 avg better than .242 of course it will come down long term the way he is going

MrTop

EOG Master
Topper, the kid is 20 years old, I'm sure he'll figure it out. He's one of the best prospects in the game, and he's nowhere close to his prime years, he's far from a finished product

I never said he was finished. I just said something has to change going forward. He cannot maintain batting avg of .321 whiffing 30% that is all I am saying.

Heim

EOG Master
I'm not sure how much better Alonso is going to get. Already a polished hitter. Mets do a good job with hitters in the minors.
McNeil another one. Alonso will regress. Tatis can be another A-Rod when he fills out or worst case scenario Alfonso Soriano.

MrTop

EOG Master
sure he could be Arod but his whiff rate would have to come down. Arod whiff rate was real high then something changed
1994 - 33.9%
1995 - 28.2 %
1996 - 15.4% for sure worked on him

lifetime 18.7 % whiff rate .295 avg lifetime

Soriano started out like arod real bad in only 61 at bats, his third year went down to 20.4% first full year lifetime 21% .270 hitter lifetime

tatis has some work to do. He could get there if the k rate comes down.

Much more info on the mets guy. Both could turn into mike vale or joe charboneau

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Alonso is the answer to an excellent Las Vegas trivia question:

Who has the last hitter to enter the batter's box in Cashman Field history?

By the way, Alonso homered in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Las Vegas 51's a dramatic walk-off win in the last-ever game at Cashman.

Last edited:

Brayden11

EOG Dedicated
If the Brewers didn't protect Huira, he would be in the mix. Advanced hitter who will hit for average and power for a long time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The father of Fernando Tatis, Jr played MLB for 14 seasons from 1997-2010.

The mother of Pete Alonso played college softball at Ohio Wesleyan.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If the Brewers didn't protect Huira, he would be in the mix. Advanced hitter who will hit for average and power for a long time.

The last tip from BRAYDEN11 came a couple of years ago:

Keep an eye on Christian Yelich.

Nobody knows about him right now but he can do everything on a baseball field.

kane

EOG master
The last tip from BRAYDEN11 came a couple of years ago:

Keep an eye on Christian Yelich.

Nobody knows about him right now but he can do everything on a baseball field.

With all due respect to Brayden, I saw Yelich when he first got called up, he was a big prospect and after watching his first several games, I called stardom for him, I always thought he would be a great hitter, but I never thought he would hit for power like he has, he was never much of a HR hitter in Miami, but it's incredible the power numbers he's putting up. When I saw him hit, my first thought was he's Joey Votto, a line drive hitter who hits the ball to all fields, has a great eye at the plate, rarely swings at a bad pitch, gets on base a lot, but he's showing power that Votto never had, although he did have some big HR seasons, he's always really been a line drive hitter. The Brewers are fortunate to have Yelich, he's a great player, but he's as humble a star as you'll find

MrTop

EOG Master
Tatis 3rd highest BABIP .421 since year 1920 with 240 PA.

players with 240 PA since year 1900 with 29% K rate or higher nobody has hit over .280 lifetime average. except for Tatis who is at .324.

Trevor story .273 avg 29.3% K rate
aaron judge .277 avg 31.3% K rate
monchada .255 avg 32% K rate

Tatis batting avg .324 will decline unless he makes more contact . Revisit in 1-2 years. Ted Williams was on a TV show many years ago. He said when you strikeout you totally failed at your at bat

ted Williams .344 lifetime avg 7.2 K rate

Ted Williams played ( 1939-60 ) under easier pitching and defense LOL

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With all due respect to Brayden, I saw Yelich when he first got called up, he was a big prospect and after watching his first several games, I called stardom for him, I always thought he would be a great hitter, but I never thought he would hit for power like he has, he was never much of a HR hitter in Miami, but it's incredible the power numbers he's putting up. When I saw him hit, my first thought was he's Joey Votto, a line drive hitter who hits the ball to all fields, has a great eye at the plate, rarely swings at a bad pitch, gets on base a lot, but he's showing power that Votto never had, although he did have some big HR seasons, he's always really been a line drive hitter. The Brewers are fortunate to have Yelich, he's a great player, but he's as humble a star as you'll find

Thanks for your insight, kane.

Brayden11 instructed me to watch Yelich run the bases.

It's a thing of beauty.

Unfortunately, in the current age of baseball, he's more likely to be in a home run jog than stretching a single into a double.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for your insight, kane.

Brayden11 instructed me to watch Yelich run the bases.

It's a thing of beauty.

Unfortunately, in the current age of baseball, he's more likely to be in a home run jog than stretching a single into a double.

I also like the way Kris Bryant runs the bases.

It's a hidden part of his game.

However, baserunning no longer is a big part of the game.

Valuist

EOG Master
Alonso appeared to be a lock but Tatis is making up ground quickly. By the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if Tatis overtakes Alonso.

Heim

EOG Master
Don't you have to consider PIT Reynolds if he wins the batting title as a rookie? Never been done.

MrTop

EOG Master
Don't you have to consider PIT Reynolds if he wins the batting title as a rookie? Never been done.

reynolds is a better contact hitter than alonzo & tatis but his value VORP is less.... Tatis batting average starting to come down. hitting .274 last 30 days. .. reyolds need 502 PA to qualify for title.. i guess he will get there... got to throw soroka in the mix with braves he is 10-2 FIP 3.18

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
All things equal, Tatis will win it because he’s a shortstop. Soroka May finish 2nd based on the team success.

Valuist

EOG Master
Because the Pirates are so bad, Reynolds has really gone under the radar. Batting .432 and an OPS of over 1.300 in August.