Great hire by Illinois

kane

EOG master
Out with the black guy, in with the white guy, no wonder you approve, you racist pig piece of shit

railbird

EOG Master
Out with the black guy, in with the white guy, no wonder you approve, you racist pig piece of shit
your a weirdo. Bielima is a great coach, has been for 20 yrs. If a Black guy can win, he stays, i have no promblem with that, see Tomlin at Pitt. Otherwise he is fired. Hire on merit. period. not affirmative action or quota.

kane

EOG master
[QUOTE="railbird, post: 7671779, member: 22531"]your a weirdo. Bielima is a great coach, has been for 20 yrs. If a Black guy can win, he stays, i have no promblem with that, see Tomlin at Pitt. Otherwise he is fired. Hire on merit. period. not affirmative action or quota.[/QUOTE]

And you're an illiterate racist piece of shit, go ask the people in Arkansas what a great coach he is

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
$$$$$

Wisky paid him $2.6mm/yr after he went to 3 rose bowls. ark started him @ $4.2mm/yr

Money AND power.

Wisconsin is and was Barry Alvarez's program, not Bret Bielema's.

Alvarez was the Alpha dog.

Bielema's weight gain at Arkansas was troubling.

Usually a sign of issues in one's private life.

I like my coaches to be lean, mean fighting machines.

The altered picture below made me chuckle.

1608591360314.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Bielema's teams were 37-19 in the Big Ten and 11-29 in the SEC.

Seven years in Wisconsin and five in Arkansas.

Surprised he's only 50.

I would have bet OVER.

railbird

EOG Master
Wiscy program runs on its demorgraphics, they are led by dairy farm viking men on offensive line. the coach is irrelevant, Run game travels

railbird

EOG Master
Wiscy program runs on its demorgraphics, they are led by dairy farm viking men on offensive line. the coach is irrelevant, Run game travels
the same men that made usa great, and discovered america, now it is being ruined by New England scum

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

One season in Madison, the offensive line for the Badgers was bigger than most NFL offensive lines.

It also helps to recruit a Ron Dayne or Russell Wilson or Jonathan Taylor every now and then.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
I think it was the worst hire possible. Remember Bilema was in contention at Ark state and Illinois could have gone with Liepold who had more career wins in the area not only in recruiting and coaching other than Ferentz. If you want a run 1st hard nose coach who also has some offensive flair.

However the big 10 is evolving. Look whats taking place in the sec and see what's working in the big 10 now. Ohio state spread tempo, Northwestern spread/motion, even Iowa is throw 3x more than 5 years ago, Rutgers with Gleeson tempo and spread, Indiana 69/31 pass with rpo.
Nebraska with frost rpo, brohm 70/30 pass-run, fleck made a insanely bad OC hire but he will go back to calling plays again next year.
You want to run it like it is 2008 bad news the majority of premium athletes in the b10 are being recruited on the front 7. There are weakness at Db for whatever reason. Even Maryland was able to exploit that at times.

Illinois hired someone to do something that was unique 10 years ago with big OL and pro style/I offense. Unless he makes a clever OC hire to take full advantage of William's his sprinter at QB this was a D hire.
This is Muschamp, Charlie Strong all over again.

railbird

EOG Master
The worst thing that happened to Arkansas was TAMU going to the SEC. It allowed the SEC to recruit Texas ans shut them out.
good post, its politics. reminds me of Kevin Phillips 1969 book the emerging republian majority which does a detailed demographic analysis of every election since 1770s

I think it was the worst hire possible. Remember Bilema was in contention at Ark state and Illinois could have gone with Liepold who had more career wins in the area not only in recruiting and coaching other than Ferentz. If you want a run 1st hard nose coach who also has some offensive flair.

However the big 10 is evolving. Look whats taking place in the sec and see what's working in the big 10 now. Ohio state spread tempo, Northwestern spread/motion, even Iowa is throw 3x more than 5 years ago, Rutgers with Gleeson tempo and spread, Indiana 69/31 pass with rpo.
Nebraska with frost rpo, brohm 70/30 pass-run, fleck made a insanely bad OC hire but he will go back to calling plays again next year.
You want to run it like it is 2008 bad news the majority of premium athletes in the b10 are being recruited on the front 7. There are weakness at Db for whatever reason. Even Maryland was able to exploit that at times.

Illinois hired someone to do something that was unique 10 years ago with big OL and pro style/I offense. Unless he makes a clever OC hire to take full advantage of William's his sprinter at QB this was a D hire.

Just think of the coaching upgrades that have occurred since he left

Iowa Ferentz
NW Fitzgerald
Minnesota Fleck >>>>> Claeys
Wisconsin Chryst >>>>>>>>>>Andersen
Purdue Brohm >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hazzell
Nebraska Frost >>>>>Riley

Even in the East, the only downgrade I see is Tucker at MSU. Otherwise every team in the B1G has an equal to or better coaching staff than when he was at Wisconsin

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your insights, COW and DRINK.

Have a hunch Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald could be coaching his last college game in the Citrus Bowl.

Mike McCaskey on Line 1.

NFL teams have expressed interest in the past but Fitzgerald never bit.

The storyline for the Citrus Bowl will focus on NU defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz asking his squad for a victory in his final game before retirement.

It would be Hankwitz's 400th career victory as an assistant coach and coordinator.

But quietly, Fitzgerald also may be leaving.

blueline

EOG Master
Thanks for sharing your insights, COW and DRINK.

Have a hunch Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald could be coaching his last college game in the Citrus Bowl.

Mike McCaskey on Line 1.

NFL teams have expressed interest in the past but Fitzgerald never bit.

The storyline for the Citrus Bowl will focus on NU defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz asking his squad for a victory in his final game before retirement.

It would be Hankwitz's 400th career victory as an assistant coach and coordinator.

But quietly, Fitzgerald also may be leaving.

Mike McCaskey on the phone ...that would be quite a party trick

railbird

EOG Master

nebraksa is 65% run, Frost would be much better off using a fullback and slowing it down.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Bielema ran for the money and lost when he left Wisc. This is a hire that Illinois hasn't had in a while - a coach who isn't looking to elevate his career after a good season. Illinois has had no presence in the Chicago area for years, now they will with Bielema from his Wisc days.

railbird

EOG Master
Bielema ran for the money and lost when he left Wisc. This is a hire that Illinois hasn't had in a while - a coach who isn't looking to elevate his career after a good season. Illinois has had no presence in the Chicago area for years, now they will with Bielema from his Wisc days.
they have great facilities, no reason not to win. bileima needs to get dairy farmers sons lineman, get a #39 with a neck roll fullback , a shifty tailback and run it 80%.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
they have great facilities, no reason not to win. bileima needs to get dairy farmers sons lineman, get a #39 with a neck roll fullback , a shifty tailback and run it 80%.
I agree with facilities. You just described with what he wants to do and why it's a bad hire in 2021. Analytics and pace took over and as much as I would love to see him do this because I could capitalize on it financially but end of the day unless he also hires a bad OC they will remain what they are today a 6 win cieling team. You're not running up the middle on the b10 anymore. Even Ferentz has realized this as has Fitzgerald.

I agree with facilities. You just described with what he wants to do and why it's a bad hire in 2021. Analytics and pace took over and as much as I would love to see him do this because I could capitalize on it financially but end of the day unless he also hires a bad OC they will remain what they are today a 6 win cieling team. You're not running up the middle on the b10 anymore. Even Ferentz has realized this as has Fitzgerald.

So your saying the most successful program in the big ten west (Wisconsin) that runs up the middle a lot and plays great defense is an flawed model? I think Harbaugh era Stanford when all the Pac12 defenses were built to stop the spread and then Stanford rolled in with some smash mouth football. You can run up the middle in the Big ten and be successful. Northwestern never was an I formation team so no change there, Iowa still is run first so I don't know what Ferentz has realized. Bad post

railbird

EOG Master
ancestoral demogrlaphics should design offenses, not analytics. And you cant play 7 on 7 yr round in upper midwest,

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated
So your saying the most successful program in the big ten west (Wisconsin) that runs up the middle a lot and plays great defense is an flawed model? I think Harbaugh era Stanford when all the Pac12 defenses were built to stop the spread and then Stanford rolled in with some smash mouth football. You can run up the middle in the Big ten and be successful. Northwestern never was an I formation team so no change there, Iowa still is run first so I don't know what Ferentz has realized. Bad post

I'm sorry did you just forget Indiana?
Iowa passed 247 times in 8 games this season. Roughly 30x a game. Wisconsin was beat by both rather easily because of why? Oh a run up the middle and pass on 3rd or when necessary and predictable.
Harbaugh should go back to whatever used to work because this is ugly.

railbird

EOG Master
Iowa passed 247 times in 8 games this season. Roughly 30x a game. Wisconsin was beat by both rather easily because of why? Oh a run up the middle and pass on 3rd or when necessary and predictable.
Wisconson wins rosebowl if not for 5 bad calls by refs last yr, Wiscy wins every 5th rosebowl for 25 yrs because they play Barry Ball as Jk says. Wiscy was beat this yr because lost Center and Running back.

Wisconsin didn't lose those game because of the system they play, they lost because most of their skill position players were out, they were down to their 3rd string true freshman center and had a freshmen quarterback with very little prep time. In fact, the run up the middle strategy is most likely what kept the Indiana and Northwestern games within 1 score. If only passing systems win games in the big ten, explain why Scott Frost has done diddly at Nebraska since he's been there? Jeff Brohm at Purdue?

Being a defensive minded coach, my assumption would be he's going to build up that side of the ball for Illinois. I would think he's going to run power football, but who knows.

He's going to be at a recruiting disadvantage right from the start as C/U may be crappiest of all the big ten cities.