Walled Lake, MI gambler sues online betting site: You rigged my Bruins hockey bet

Heim

EOG Master
This should be interesting. It's a obvious mistake and he knew it. Nonetheless, DK is easily going to spend that in Federal Court defending that. They should have just paid him to avoid bad PR.

This is completely different than unknown injuries and a bad line. I pretty sure there is lower court precedents
in Nevada favoring the books on issues similar to this.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
This should be interesting. It's a obvious mistake and he knew it. Nonetheless, DK is easily going to spend that in Federal Court defending that. They should have just paid him to avoid bad PR.

This is completely different than unknown injuries and a bad line. I pretty sure there is lower court precedents
in Nevada favoring the books on issues similar to this.

Of course, this was just taking a shot. First, Nevada rules are irrelevant here, AFAIK, DraftKings doesn't even have a Nevada sportsbetting license. The case will be adjudicated in Michigan, maybe someone familiar with the Michigan law can chime in as to a likely outcome.

If it was in Nevada, I believe the NGCB has ignored long standing precedent and ruled in a similar case, that the "Tickets go as written" rule doesn't apply to these types of errors.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
It happened year or so ago in NJ but I don't remember what happened

Probably the case of Fanduel posting a live bet based on a stale data feed (a screwed up NFL ML with a very makeable FG pending to win the game). At first FD reneged and voided the bets. The NJGC upheld FD, but the PR was so negative FD eventually made good on the bets.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
This. ^^^^^

DK (or a court for that matter) shoudn't be put in the position of having to adjudicate which bettors knew they were betting into a bad line and which didn't. (Granted, probably 95% knew, but that's not really the point.)

Wasn't there a case several years back in Nevada where Golden Nugget mistakenly hung LSU +33.5 against LA-Lafayette instead of -33.5? IIRC, several sharps bet it before they realized and I'm pretty sure Gaming made them pay, citing the "tickets go as written" clause.

This. ^^^^^

DK (or a court for that matter) shoudn't be put in the position of having to adjudicate which bettors knew they were betting into a bad line and which didn't. (Granted, probably 95% knew, but that's not really the point.)

Wasn't there a case several years back in Nevada where Golden Nugget mistakenly hung LSU +33.5 against LA-Lafayette instead of -33.5? IIRC, several sharps bet it before they realized and I'm pretty sure Gaming made them pay, citing the "tickets go as written" clause.
Yeah a written ticket is as good as gold in most jurisdictions. The online bets are harder to set in stone because operators will claim technical errors. I get why DK is fighting it even if it costs them, they want to prevent anyone from taking shots at them. But note they have to behave differently than offshores. Offshores will tell you what they are going to do and good luck getting someone to change that decision.

MrTop

EOG Master
.... what if the player says what if the bet loses in court ..you would free roll ?

bring into court the don best software.... say who is really the crook here.. their baseball and hockey margins are sad.

Last edited: