More Astros cheating on deck

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
If it's not enough that they banged on garbage cans stealing signs, now there's word that perhaps Gerrit Cole used foreign substances.

I'm sure many more have done so, but this would be a detriment to the poor World Series and Cy Young Award winner.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
When will the "sticky stuff" enforcement begin?

I've heard eight random checks throughout the game may be utilized.

Valuist

EOG Master
In the clip I posted the other day from Steve Merrill, names he mentioned were Cole, Bauer, Giolito and Woodruff. I would have to think Charlie Morton would be under some scrutiny as well, along with Corbin Byrnes. These guys are priced as if they are at their peak so any fall off in performance can be an opportunity.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Just like with Ryan Bruan - if found cheating he might get suspended................but the contract is still valid

I know MLBPA runs the sport but if a player is found to be a cheater their team should have the option of voiding the contract ASAP without any penalty at all

MLBPA would never go for this but why not? Punishes the GUILTY players and rewards the CLEAN ones!

Valuist

EOG Master
Just like with Ryan Bruan - if found cheating he might get suspended................but the contract is still valid

I know MLBPA runs the sport but if a player is found to be a cheater their team should have the option of voiding the contract ASAP without any penalty at all

MLBPA would never go for this but why not? Punishes the GUILTY players and rewards the CLEAN ones!
If a guy is cheating, his stats are fraudulent. We know stats drive contracts, so I agree, it should be voidable. But like you said, the MLBPA would never go for it.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd hate to be the Twins today.....

I thought the same thing.

Only positive for the Twins against the Yankees today: It's not a playoff game.

The Yanks have defeated the Twins 13 straight times in the postseason.

Minny's overall losing streak in the playoffs stands at 18 games, a record for North American pro sports teams.

Additionally, the Twins entered the season with a 60% chance (or thereabouts) to win the AL Central.

FanGraphs has Minnesota's chances to win the division today at 4%.

Last edited:

ouch

EOG Dedicated
Cheating in baseball? A pitcher using a foreign substance on a ball before he throws it?

I am shocked......SHOCKED!

Last edited:

howid

EOG Dedicated
the spin rate appears to confirm, along with ''confessions/denial.'' but where's all the camera shots showing the pitcher applying it?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
the spin rate appears to confirm, along with ''confessions/denial.'' but where's all the camera shots showing the pitcher applying it?
How many times do we see a pitcher holding his glove and the ball covering his face with his glove before starting his wind up?

howid

EOG Dedicated
pitchers are using foreign substances on a widespread basis but nobody is getting tossed? there's a camera on them the whole time they're out there.

plenty of examples from the past, guys having it on their neck, glove, hat etc. and being forced to leave the game.

unless of course a manager doesn't want his hurlers subject to the same treatment so a gentleman's agreement to not point fingers, who knows.