Rams & Goff

BigDeemer

EOG Dedicated
Have any of you guys seen Jared Goff? He’s terrible. He’s only decent if he has ample time and DBs are 5-7 yards off his WRs. He’s throwing to a pretty solid WR core, and he generally didn’t have to come from behind because his D was good.

Stafford is a HoF’er and a t12 QB (you can argue higher). Goff is really bad. Goff was the worst Qb in NFC West. Now, Rams have the 2nd best in division.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Have any of you guys seen Jared Goff? He’s terrible. He’s only decent if he has ample time and DBs are 5-7 yards off his WRs. He’s throwing to a pretty solid WR core, and he generally didn’t have to come from behind because his D was good.

Stafford is a HoF’er and a t12 QB (you can argue higher). Goff is really bad. Goff was the worst Qb in NFC West. Now, Rams have the 2nd best in division.
My problem with stafford has always been that he's not a winner - he has all the talent in the world, looks great, has great stats, but when you need a drive he cant deliver. Goff IMO has always been mediocre, a high end trubisky perhaps.

The rams have a much better chance to improve from this trade.

Heim

EOG Master
Goff has one of the slowest release times in the NFL, plus he looks off nobody which finally caught up to him. He was done after Green Bay....McVay had seen enough.

My problem with stafford has always been that he's not a winner - he has all the talent in the world, looks great, has great stats, but when you need a drive he cant deliver. Goff IMO has always been mediocre, a high end trubisky perhaps.

The rams have a much better chance to improve from this trade.
Stafford hasn't had much talent with Detroit. It's a dysfunctional franchise and those orgs are almost always impossible to succeed with. I think Stafford will do well in LA

boston massacre

EOG Master
What is Actually The Difference in Talent Level Between Stafford and Goff ? Not a Lot.

Detroit Picks Up 7 Years Younger in Age.

For The Rams To Add a 3rd Rounder This Year, and a 1st Rounder in 2022 and 2023 Would Cause This Trade To Be Labeled Grand Larceny.

Heim

EOG Master
Stafford hasn't had much talent with Detroit. It's a dysfunctional franchise and those orgs are almost always impossible to succeed with. I think Stafford will do well in LA

He has a running game and a defense now.....it will be fun. No more 4.65 guys like Amendola.

boston massacre

EOG Master
I think Stafford is average at best, and for what the Lions are getting in return, Goff and 2 first round picks will help in our rebuild. Also think about if Detroit got that for Stafford, what does this do for the Deshwan Watson market for Houston? It is interesting to note that the Lions GM is Brad Holmes who the Lions just hired from the Rams. Sounds like the Rams wanted to dump Goff's contract, so from a business standpoint, it is a win win for both sides. I don't believe the Rams have had a first round pick since they traded up to get Goff back in 2016. Seems from their end, it is a win now, and they think Stafford can put them over the top.

The question that is about to be answered about Stafford, is Stafford a great player held back by managements inability to draft right, and put enough talent on the field to surround Stafford, or was Stafford part of the problem in Detroit, being an average at best player. His stats shine, but let's face it, how many times were the Lions down by 14 in the fourth quarter, with teams playing prevent defense enabling Stafford to pile up a ton of stats in garbage time? Rob Parker gave him the best nickname, Pat Statford. Stafford was 0-3 in the playoffs, and had a dismal record against teams with a record of .500 or greater.

I don't blame Stafford for wanting out of Detroit, he didn't want to waste any more of his career on a rebuild team, which is what has been going on her for the better part of Stafford's tenure in Detroit. He has been beaten up pretty bad in recent seasons. The injuries have piled up, a broken back, he played with a torn ligament in this thumb this year, and that's after having a streak of playing in 150+ games in a row. Who know what toll it has taken on Stafford in recent years, but I can say he is one tough SOB.

I would have like to see Goff's expression when he learned he was coming to Detroit, lol. I would compare it to being kicked in the nuts.

Personally, I would like to see Stafford succeed in LA. Maybe this will be a great fit for Stafford, and his play will be come elevated as a result. I would think with the Rams team around him, he could lead them to winning at least 10 games. Will it put the Rams over the top to win a Super Bowl? That is to be seen, and of course, Stafford has to be free of the type of injuries he has experienced the past 3 seasons. This reminds me of when Verlander was sent to the Astros, everyone in Detroit was pulling for him, and the same will happen w/ Stafford. He has a house in South California, and his long time buddy, Clayton Kershaw is in LA as well. Also, the real question is will his wife Kelly be happy there, lol. She is probably the reason in pushing Stafford to get out of Detroit in the first place.

At his into press conference in LA, pay attention to how many times Stafford says "ummm", Detroit radio stations have made musical mixes out of him saying ummm excessively, lol.

Mentioning That Stafford Did Not Want To Be Part of a Rebuild, Well That Rebuild, Has Been Going on For 62 Years.

Since 1957. The Last Time The Detroit Lions Won a Playoff Game.

And 5 Years Before Milt Plum Arrived as QB in 1962.

Goff, a 3rd Rounder, and 2 1st Rounders Makes This Theft By Detroit, The Biggest Heist of 2021 So Far This Year.

railbird

EOG Master
I’m a little surprised that Detroit got that for Stafford. They were smart in beating Houston in the trade market. I think Houston would have taken that for Watson. Seeing that, Miami may sit it out, so it’s the Jets basically bidding against themselves. This is why Detroit should offer Goff around. Not everyone can afford the Porsch, but many can afford the next level down.
goff contract is very exspensive

MrTop

EOG Master
detroit was not going to win with stafford. Knock down payroll. get picks.. Then rid of goff. Good move. Rebuild again and again till you get it right.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
detroit was not going to win with stafford. Knock down payroll. get picks.. Then rid of goff. Good move. Rebuild again and again till you get it right.

The Lions have been rebuilding since 1957. One of these day's they might get it right, I do not believe that will happen within my life time.

Heim

EOG Master
DET had à top 10 defense once during Stafford's tenure. 2014 when they went 11-5.

Let that sink in.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
wait, you serious? You want a first? Goff’s contract made the Rams throw in firsts. Goff is a bottom 8 QB and paid like a t5 QB. No one wants that Contract
Desparate teams always think they can turn the player around. If he's that bad, how come a quarter of the teams wanted him? I'm not saying he's a HOFer. The Rams situation is different, they are trying to win right now, so they overpaid. Who knows what Washington would offer, unless you think Alex Smith is better.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Desparate teams always think they can turn the player around. If he's that bad, how come a quarter of the teams wanted him? I'm not saying he's a HOFer. The Rams situation is different, they are trying to win right now, so they overpaid. Who knows what Washington would offer, unless you think Alex Smith is better.

From the Detroit News:
On Sunday, multiple reports alleged the Washington Football Team's offer would have been better for the Lions this year. According to Sports Illustrated, Washington was offering Detroit their first-round in 2021 (No. 19), along with a third-rounder. It's unknown which of of Washington's two third-round choices (No. 74 or No. 82) was on the table, but each are better than the No. 88 pick the Lions are getting from the Rams. Obviously, that provides the Lions more immediate impact, and is competitive with the Rams offer. The difference is Goff. Not only does he give the Lions a talented bridge to the future, with the potential to be the long-term answer at quarterback, but by taking his contract off the Rams' hands, it netted that second first-round pick. That's a rebuild accelerator.

The next offer reported by Sports Illustrated involves the Carolina Panthers sending Detroit their first-round pick this year, No. 8 overall, along with an additional late-round selection.
That's unquestionably compelling. Generally speaking, it's a typically a different tier of prospects that early in the draft. But there are reasons why the Rams' package could have been perceived as better.
First, there's an air of uncertainty around this draft class, specifically for the Lions, but also overall. With a new, first-time general manager, it's going to take some time for him to get the front office on the same page as he marries new hires with the scouting department carryover.
On top of that, this was a college football season unlike any other, with the COVID-19 pandemic wiping out entire seasons for some teams and multiple games for others. And prospect evaluation limitations will carry into the offseason, with the scouting combine and in-person visits being reimagined.
In the end, the Lions got three compelling offers, from Los Angeles, Carolina and Washington. All three would have helped the team, but given the number of roster holes, and the two-to-three-year window the team is looking at for its rebuild, general manager Brad Holmes chose quantity of assets over a single, higher-quality asset.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I think they were helping Stafford also. He’s friends with the coach also. They didn’t want to look bad again, like the Sanders and C Johnson exits.

From the Detroit News:
On Sunday, multiple reports alleged the Washington Football Team's offer would have been better for the Lions this year. According to Sports Illustrated, Washington was offering Detroit their first-round in 2021 (No. 19), along with a third-rounder. It's unknown which of of Washington's two third-round choices (No. 74 or No. 82) was on the table, but each are better than the No. 88 pick the Lions are getting from the Rams. Obviously, that provides the Lions more immediate impact, and is competitive with the Rams offer. The difference is Goff. Not only does he give the Lions a talented bridge to the future, with the potential to be the long-term answer at quarterback, but by taking his contract off the Rams' hands, it netted that second first-round pick. That's a rebuild accelerator.

The next offer reported by Sports Illustrated involves the Carolina Panthers sending Detroit their first-round pick this year, No. 8 overall, along with an additional late-round selection.
That's unquestionably compelling. Generally speaking, it's a typically a different tier of prospects that early in the draft. But there are reasons why the Rams' package could have been perceived as better.
First, there's an air of uncertainty around this draft class, specifically for the Lions, but also overall. With a new, first-time general manager, it's going to take some time for him to get the front office on the same page as he marries new hires with the scouting department carryover.
On top of that, this was a college football season unlike any other, with the COVID-19 pandemic wiping out entire seasons for some teams and multiple games for others. And prospect evaluation limitations will carry into the offseason, with the scouting combine and in-person visits being reimagined.
In the end, the Lions got three compelling offers, from Los Angeles, Carolina and Washington. All three would have helped the team, but given the number of roster holes, and the two-to-three-year window the team is looking at for its rebuild, general manager Brad Holmes chose quantity of assets over a single, higher-quality asset.

That's a smart GM. Goff probably doesn't even stick around that long, they can cut him after a year and its a costs a bit, but after 2 years its basically nothing. Plenty of time to draft a guy this year, doesn't even have to be a high pick, and then groom him for a year or two to be your real starter. Then Goff hits the market and is in the Winston/Newton situation this season, hoping for a shot on a cheap contract. Still not going to cry for the guy, he's going to leave the game having earned nine figures.

Stafford is a top 6 QB in the game. He led the league in game winning drives in 3 separate seasons. In 2019 Det was 3-4-1 with Stafford and then they went 0-8 without. Stafford is 8-1 when a RB rushes for over 100 yds but the last time it happened was 2013.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Stafford is a top 6 QB in the game. He led the league in game winning drives in 3 separate seasons. In 2019 Det was 3-4-1 with Stafford and then they went 0-8 without. Stafford is 8-1 when a RB rushes for over 100 yds but the last time it happened was 2013.
The game winning drive stat can be misleading, if you're a shitty team you are behind most of the time and you have far more chances to "win the game" - especially if you're playing other mediocre teams.

If you're a top QB on a really good team you may only be trailing in 3-4 games in the 4th qtr.

Heim

EOG Master
wtf was Rob Parker talking about with his article yesterday.....'Stafford would be out of the league if he was black,
or in the alternative 2nd string. Is he nuts! His basis, comparing his stats with Jamais Winston that are fairly similar.

Concluding if you're black and average you're expendable, not if your white. Stafford is average??

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
To be fair, he’s never been on a team that approached greatness. Yes, he’s part of the equation also. When I think of that statement, I think of Jay Cutler.

Heim

EOG Master
I'm starting to think nothing has changed in LaLa land.

Matter of fact, Rams are starting to resemble the Lakers.

Pricey veterans, little room and money for depth or role players.

And Stafford still can't beat winning teams.

All LA teams sucking is fantastic stuff. Fuck LA and their carpetbagger teams and fake ass fans. Rams and Chargers lose a few more games and it's back to 95% opposing team fans

lap18

EOG Dedicated

It's hard to believe with those names on the Rams that Stafford can make them look like the LIONS.

Valuist

EOG Master

Forget the bye. It wasn't a good spot. In bad form and going into Wisconsin cold from LA? How on earth were they favored?