Baseball Hall Of Fame….

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
It is a shame that baseball greats pass away before they are inducted into the Hall…thank God that Jim Kaat is still alive to enjoy his moment in the sun…

Heim

EOG Master
That Twins staff had HOF pitcher Blyleven too.

Funny, for a few years these two HOFers were not the best
pitcher on the staff. Jim Perry, Gaylord's brother was..

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Oliva in!?

Great hitter but I don't think Hall when I think Oliva.

No doubt.

The Hall needs a tighter circle.

Or how about this philosophy: Ignore the Baseball Hall of Fame's 300-plus entrants and focus solely on the 57 first-ballot Hall of Famers.

Valuist

EOG Master
Oliva in!?

Great hitter but I don't think Hall when I think Oliva.

Agree. Hall of Very Good. Really only played 11 full seasons. If you are a hitter and don't play 15 years, you have to be mercurial. Albert Belle didn't play a ton of years and had better numbers, albeit with "extra help".

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Truly membership is not a level playing field. Popular Phil Rizzuto is another questionable member of the Hall of Fame. No clear rules on criteria-what are they? - we know the great players who we assume juiced aren't "allowed" in or voted in or worthy of membership. No Pete and no Barry with the stats they have.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
If you don't play in NY, very difficult to get in. James Mitchener had to beg to get Robin Roberts in. Richie Ashburn every bit as good as Duke Snider, but different kind of player. Gil Hodges? Meh. Don Newcombe should have gone in ahead of him.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
That Twins staff had HOF pitcher Blyleven too.

Funny, for a few years these two HOFers were not the best
pitcher on the staff. Jim Perry, Gaylord's brother was..
I think they may have all been together for two years, and that was at the beginning of Blylevens career. Back in the 60’s, they also had recently deceased Jim Grant - a heck of a pitcher also.

a real good feature on Baseball Reference is similarity scores. It takes Dave Parker and finds the player closest to him for each year of his career. It’s a great indicator of HOF-worthiness.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If you don't play in NY, very difficult to get in. James Mitchener had to beg to get Robin Roberts in. Richie Ashburn every bit as good as Duke Snider, but different kind of player. Gil Hodges? Meh. Don Newcombe should have gone in ahead of him.

Add "Meh" to my EOG glossary.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
First ballot....
Could be
Statistically absolutely
but
though never caught and always denied
the he juiced rumors followed Albert -
Quite a few non members linked and or rumored to steroids got snubbed and have very worthy stats

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
mad dog from cubs/pirates?

.305 lifetime 2k hits

al oliver .303 ba 2743 hits

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A First Ballot Hall of Famer is a player who is elected to the Hall of Fame on his first appearance on the BBWAA ballot. The term has become known as a way to symbolize certain Hall of Famers and active players as above the rest. As for voting patterns, the movement for first ballot Hall of Famers did not really begin until the late 1980s. From 1989 to 1995 there was at least one first ballot Hall of Famer elected every year. Many of the highest voting percentages have come to first ballot players.

Just as noticeable are the players who are not on the list. Joe DiMaggio, Jimmie Foxx, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie, Mel Ott, Eddie Mathews, Roy Campanella and Harmon Killebrew all had to wait until at least their second ballot to be elected.

Source: Baseball Reference

MrTop

EOG Master
DiMaggio earned just 44.3% of the writers' vote, finishing in eighth place. Many believe he didn't get more votes because a lot of voters didn't like choosing a player just a year after he retired. ... He was fourth on the ballot in 1954, but again voters didn't want to vote for him just two years out of the game.

hard to think this happened

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Consider medical technology today! Extends the career of today's players a great deal.

With today's medicine Tony O would have had at least 5 more years. He could barely run to first base at the end of his career.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
we should be having a committee formed to revoke some of inductees from the past 40 years, not adding more
I remember Terry Boers talking about this on the Score. He would have it if someone enters the HOF, it’s at the expense of someone else.

Heim

EOG Master
ICYMI, this was a committee of Early Days vote, and Golden Days.

Bonds and the rest of the steroid days upcoming.

Heim

EOG Master
I'm amazed to read how many writers hate A-Rod.

He's definitely a HOF. Who knows if he'll ever get in?

The move with his phone # on a baseball thrown to
a hot chick in the stands is definitely HOF.

MrTop

EOG Master
How the fuck was CY Young not a first ballot guy? Were his 511 career wins not good enough?

They found out a lot of Cy Young's wins happened after winning the 1st game of the double header , the writers asked him did he win the 2nd game too and he said Yeah.