Offensive charging not called in NBA makes NBA unwatchable...

Don Quixote

EOG Enthusiast
It drives me crazy...

nba sells their soul to market guys like antetokounmpo who bulldoze their way to the hoop...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The block/charge call in basketball is as tough as it gets.

And here's where the NBA star system gets in the way of good officiating.

Seems like a referee's calculation is influenced by which players are involved in the block/charge call.

Not good.

And nobody lowers his shoulders when driving to the basket quite like "The Greek Freak."

Sensing we will not have to endure Giannis's offensive style of play after Sunday.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
The block/charge call in basketball is as tough as it gets.

And here's where the NBA star system gets in the way of good officiating.

Seems like a referee's calculation is influenced by which players are involved in the block/charge call.

Not good.

And nobody lowers his shoulders when driving to the basket quite like "The Greek Freak."

Sensing we will not have to endure Giannis's style of play after Sunday.

Sensing will have to put up with flopping more than a fish out of water with Smart on defense

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
They did a good job of trying to get on him tight outside three point line at times, so he couldn't get that running start into the lane

Not that easy to get planted in perfect spot when he's changing direction slightly with that pseudo euro

mr merlin

EOG Master
It drives me crazy...

nba sells their soul to market guys like antetokounmpo who bulldoze their way to the hoop...
That's what drives you crazy? How about no defense, constant flopping and whining for fouls, all 3 pointers, little team play...yea, lets isolate so the showboat can drive for the hoop and try to get fouled, the whole sport is unwatchable.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
That's what drives you crazy? How about no defense, constant flopping and whining for fouls, all 3 pointers, little team play...yea, lets isolate so the showboat can drive for the hoop and try to get fouled, the whole sport is unwatchable.

Never liked all the celebrating after a made shot, mostly on three-point field goals.

There's the shimmy, the bow-and-arrow and different variations of putting three fingers in the air.

How about racing back on defense and celebrating all you want when the game is over.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Loved Smart's postgame comment on Jayson Tatum's outstanding Game 6 performance in Milwaukee.

Smart simply said, "That's why he gets paid the big money."

kane

EOG master
And Smart goes to the floor like he was hit by a bullet.
Sure he embellishes at times, but he's also the best perimeter defender in the league and this year's DPOY, he plays the game as hard as anyone and is tougher than a two dollar steak, he can play on my team any time, glad he's a Celtic

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Loved Smart at Oklahoma State.

He's a gamer.

I'd put him on a short list of my favorite NBA players competing today.

He's right there with Jimmy Butler as far as getting the most out of his abilities.

I also like guys with a little dark side when they need it.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Apparently you never watch the Heat or Celtics play
Let me clarify, there are players that can and do play defense, unfortunately that's not the norm. There is no expectation that players, including some of the biggest stars, to actually try on both ends of the court.

So there are players that not only dont really care to play defense, but anytime they miss a shot or turn the ball over they MUST have been fouled and immediately throw up their arms and turn to the officials(and begin whining) - a terrible look.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Let me clarify, there are players that can and do play defense, unfortunately that's not the norm. There is no expectation that players, including some of the biggest stars, to actually try on both ends of the court.

So there are players that not only dont really care to play defense, but anytime they miss a shot or turn the ball over they MUST have been fouled and immediately throw up their arms and turn to the officials(and begin whining) - a terrible look.

A terrible look, indeed.

Adam Silver should talk to the players.

Imagine if the players respected the officials.

It would be great for the game and society at large.

The rule book and the referee's interpretations should be sacred.

mr merlin

EOG Master
A terrible look, indeed.

Allow me to add "tongue in cheek"to my EOG glossary. LOL

blueline

EOG Master
A terrible look, indeed.

Sounds like old white-guy grievance.....public seems to love the current NBA....even I'm watching and I'm not the biggest NBA fan

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sounds like old white-guy grievance.....public seems to love the current NBA....even I'm watching and I'm not the biggest NBA fan

You're not looking at the right numbers, BLUE.

More than 30 million viewers per game watched the 1998 NBA Finals between the Jazz and Bulls.

Fewer than 10 million viewers per game watched last year's NBA Finals between the Suns and Bucks.

Besides, I wasn't referencing the popularity of the game in my post, but rather the style of play on the court.

Where's the respect for authority?

Kids watch these NBA games and then emulate in their grade school/high school games what they see on the court.

No white man grievance here.

I love basketball and all sports for that matter, especially when they're played with class, respect and sportsmanship.

blueline

EOG Master
There were other numbers in there regarding social media and global subscribers.

Another way I could have said it would have been why should Silver mess with whats working right now?

Times change.....things are accepted now that weren't "normal" years ago.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Understood.

Styles change, but standards should not.

One area where we did see some "fight back" this NBA season, and here's where I'm on the players' side, is athletes going after abusive fans.

Loved it.

Where do fans get off verbally abusing players to their face?

I think players and fans alike should show class.

This tension, some of it racial, is obvious in the NBA where most players are African-American and most fans sitting courtside are white.

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master
Understood.

One area where we did some "fight back" this NBA season, and here's where I'm on the players' side, is athletes going after abusive fans.

Loved it.

This tension, some of it racial, is obvious in the NBA where most players are African-American and most fans sitting courtside are white.
It's so bad that some are now saying that players should be able to attack fans if they're "disrespected". Spoiled little brats.

mr merlin

EOG Master

A minor pop from historically dismal numbers does not equate to "continues to grow". I've heard comments that their ratings are up this year because Lebron is not playing.

blueline

EOG Master
Understood.

One area where we did see some "fight back" this NBA season, and here's where I'm on the players' side, is athletes going after abusive fans.

Loved it.

I don't hold my breath in expectation for anyone to show class.

Heim

EOG Master
Giannis needs a little more finesse going to the hoop, a little more lateral movement around a defender. He's a bull in a china shop. You can call a offensive foul one out of two on him if he wasn't the face of the league now.

Not forgetting his Super Bowl shuffle on just about every move towards the hoop.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Giannis needs a little more finesse going to the hoop, a little more lateral movement around
a defender. He's a bull in a china shop. You can call a offensive foul one out
of two on him if he wasn't the face of the league now.

Not forgetting his Super Bowl shuffle on just about every move towards the hoop.

Not improving at the rate I would like to see.

But what a body.

Basketball is about length and strength, not height and weight.

"The Greek Freak" is long and strong.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I dont have disappointment I just accept what today is and I consume the product at times.....some of the talent out there is amazing.

The talent is amazing.

The ease in which today's NBA players launch shots from beyond the arc is incredible.

For gamblers, it's important to gauge the quality of the 3-point shots, regardless of makes and misses.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
............. anytime they miss a shot or turn the ball over they MUST have been fouled and immediately throw up their arms and turn to the officials(and begin whining) - a terrible look.

It's even cooler when you do it after a made basket. Make the shot, then mean mug the officials all the way down the court for not giving you the and one.

I'd be here all week if I listed the things I can't stand about today's game.

Starts with the flopping, crying and flailing. Vlade used to be king flopper and stood out, now the entire league does it. From top superstar to role player.

I wish like the NHL they had an "embellishment" rule. You flop you pick up a foul even if there's wasn't one on the play. Or a tech.

Let's face it, all those flop shennigans make it harder on officials, if anyone even gets close the arms flail wildly and bodies hit the floor.

If you constantly flop we're going to give benefit of the doubt to the other player. Fuck you.

And crying, Brick popularized the stay behind and berate the official move, meanwhile your team is playing 4 against 5 on the other end.

It's worth it though, he might get an extra call or two later which will help his FG% and other personal stats. Who cares about the team?

And my favorite, you go down and don't get the call, instead of hustle back you stay down to illustrate even more to the ref he missed the call.

Another version of hanging the team out to dry when it suits you (and your stats).

Oh and then the dancing. 4th quarter stuff? No, 1Q in a tight game and Morant is doing a crip walk on the court. And I like the kid but it's ridiculous.

Can you see Magic or Michael dancing in the 1Q of a big game? Or laying back casually to cry about a call and hang his team out to dry?

No, me either.

And then there's the replay. Coaches cower to their stars and will challenge in the 1Q of a charge/block (which rarely gets overturned) to appease their players.

Refs are like everyone else, they aren't going to be quick to admit a mistake.....

If it's close, and most charge/blocks are, the call will stand but the move has to be made or you have a pouting player on the court.

I am an old white guy and all this might have some to do with age, has nothing to do with race though. That's a cop out, it's about RESPECT.

And don't tell me about ratings, I lived through the 70's/80's and so on, every bar in the world talked about the NBA playoffs and had the games on......

Show up on game day today and none of the 50 TV's in the bar even have the game 7's on unless you ask. And trust me you're the only one watching.

These days the game isn't 1/50th as popular as it used to be and for just a few of the reasons above.

Rant over, we move on........

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's even cooler when you do it after a made basket. Make the shot, then mean mug the officials all the way down the court for not giving you the and one.

I'd be here all week if I listed the things I can't stand about today's game.

Starts with the flopping, crying and flailing. Vlade used to be king flopper and stood out, now the entire league does it. From top superstar to role player.

I wish like the NHL they had an "embellishment" rule. You flop you pick up a foul even if there's wasn't one on the play. Or a tech.

Let's face it, all those flop shennigans make it harder on officials, if anyone even gets close the arms flail wildly and bodies hit the floor.

If you constantly flop we're going to give benefit of the doubt to the other player. Fuck you.

And crying, Brick popularized the stay behind and berate the official move, meanwhile your team is playing 4 against 5 on the other end.

It's worth it though, he might get an extra call or two later which will help his FG% and other personal stats. Who cares about the team?

And my favorite, you go down and don't get the call, instead of hustle back you stay down to illustrate even more to the ref he missed the call.

Another version of hanging the team out to dry when it suits you (and your stats).

Oh and then the dancing. 4th quarter stuff? No, 1Q in a tight game and Morant is doing a crip walk on the court. And I like the kid but it's ridiculous.

Can you see Magic or Michael dancing in the 1Q of a big game? Or laying back casually to cry about a call and hang his team out to dry?

No, me either.

And then there's the replay. Coaches cower to their stars and will challenge in the 1Q of a charge/block (which rarely gets overturned) to appease their players.

Refs are like everyone else, they aren't going to be quick to admit a mistake.....

If it's close, and most charge/blocks are, the call will stand but the move has to be made or you have a pouting player on the court.

I am an old white guy and all this might have some to do with age, has nothing to do with race though. That's a cop out, it's about RESPECT.

And don't tell me about ratings, I lived through the 70's/80's and so on, every bar in the world talked about the NBA playoffs and had the games on......

Show up on game day today and none of the 50 TV's in the bar even have the game 7's on unless you ask. And trust me you're the only one watching.

These days the game isn't 1/50th as popular as it used to be and for just a few of the reasons above.

Rant over, we move on........
You got it right on the sports bar part, I can go to a place with 50 TV's ,you're lucky if the NBA is on one channel, and that's usually by accident. Where i go people ask for golf, hockey, even baseball, no one asks for the NBA - even when our home team timberwolves are playing.

Valuist

EOG Master
I can't believe the Dallas/Phoenix game went over. 84 points in the first half...129 in the second half. 6 possessions in the final 45 seconds including 10 points? What happened to the end of game dribble out in a blowout game?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
"The Greek Freak" is long and strong

Can Do Everything, Except Shoot.

The shooting eye should improve over time.

Think Magic Johnson, Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, etc.

They all improved their outside shots over time.

About Giannis: NBA teams changed their defensive strategy on him the past year or so.

Initially, they thought they would lay off him defensively to dare him to shoot the 20-footer.

Now, they discovered it's better to guard him closely at all times, so he doesn't get that running head start to the basket.

Boston used two or three players to wall him off on his drives to the lane.

Mission accomplished.