JAMMER's 2023 MARCH MADNESS CONTEST

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Selection Sunday 2023 is only two weeks away.

So we're back at it with the college hoop contest.

ComptrBob is gracious enough to grade the contest again this year.

Contest #1 - Pick one team from each seed line (1 through 16) that you think will go farthest in the tournament.

Like in the past contests, we will have
"weighted round values" as teams advance.

Top 3 posters who accumulate the most points after the final game will win $$.

Round of 64: 1 x seed
Round of 32: 2 x seed
Round of 16: 3 x seed
Round of 8: 4 x seed
Final 4 round: 6 x seed
Championship: 10 x seed

So it will look like this:

Seed #1- Team A
Seed #2- Team B
Seed #3- Team C
all the way down to 16

1st Place- $400
2nd Place- $250
3rd Place- $100

Contest #2 - Pick your Sweet 16 teams.

Contestant with most teams in the Sweet 16 wins $$.

Tiebreaker will be contestant who comes closest to the most combined points in the Final 4 games

So it would look like this:

Sweet 16:
East- 4 teams
West- 4 teams
South- 4 teams
Midwest- 4 teams

Sweet 16 Winner- $100

Contest #3 - Pick your Final 4 teams.

$25 bonus for correctly picking the Final 4

Contest #4 - Pick the poster who you think will win Contest #1.

$25 bonus for picking the poster who wins that contest.

Contest #5- POD contest based on standings from last year. Bomzee, Jimmy the Greek take place of where other 2 posters finished.
POD's consist of 1 poster who finished (1-6), 1 who finished (6-12), and 1 who finished (13-18).
Beat the other 2 posters in your POD and win $50!

****** ComptrBob will let everyone know the best way to post selections to make it easier for grading.

Any questions?

There is plenty of time to hash things out.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Here are the PODS for Contest #5. Beat the other two posters in your POD (final points standings) and win $50

Lou Carnesecca Pod- Viejo Dinasour, Railbird, Sharky99

Rollie Massimino Pod- Asportsguy, Bomzee, Kane

John Thompson Pod- JimmytheGreek, TonyMar, ComputerBob

Jim Boeheim Pod- Winkyduck, Cheapseats, NowshesmyRuca

P.J. Carlesimo Pod- Almost Alright, Woodrow Wilson, Trytrytry

Rick Pitino Pod- Murphy's Best, Dell Dude, Heim

Good Luck!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm rooting for JIMMYTHEGREEK to pull the March Madness upset.

He's in tough with TonyMar and ComptrBob in the same pod.

Of course, if JIMMY wins the overall title, it will mean he won his pod.

Last edited:

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Hope to see some side bets between posters on some of these contests, that always makes it more interesting.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Of JAMMER's six pods dedicated to college basketball coaches, four of the six are named for Italian-American head coaches (Carnesecca, Massimino, Pitino and Carlesimo).

JAMMER missed Izzo and Calipari.

I detect a bias.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Of JAMMER's six pods dedicated to college basketball coaches, four of the six are named for Italian-American head coaches (Carnesecca, Massimino, Pitino and Carlesimo).

I detect a bias.

I went with the Big East coaches from the 1985 season!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Here are the PODS for Contest #5. Beat the other two posters in your POD (final points standings) and win $50

Lou Carnesecca Pod- Viejo Dinasour, Railbird, Sharky99

Rollie Massimino Pod- Asportsguy, Bomzee, Kane

John Thompson Pod- JimmytheGreek, TonyMar, ComputerBob

Jim Boeheim Pod- Winkyduck, Cheapseats, NowshesmyRuca

P.J. Carlesimo Pod- Almost Alright, Woodrow Wilson, Trytrytry

Rick Pitino Pod- Murphy's Best, Dell Dude, Heim

Good Luck!

If I win do I get Boeheim's wife as the prize?

Glad not to be in the "Coach Mass is an Ass" POD. Hate that guy and his fat-ass assistant for an incident at Titan Gym almost 30 years ago to the day after we beat them by 1 on a basket with 1 second left.

Wouldn't have minded being in the Pitino POD - I know we would have eaten better than anyone else. That guy ooooozes charisma. I am on the set of SportsCenter one weekend morning when he is on the show. I talk to him after the show and just talking to him made me wanna take off my shirt and tie and suit up for him. One of the great master motivators out there. Also great at another kind of "Master" - best not discussed here.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
For convenience, I'll list the tournament teams/seeding after Selection Sunday, March 12, 2023 (Edited correction & deadline)

Please list picks, in following order (use full name and/or nickname):

Contest #1: Choose one team (that you think will go farthest in the tournament) from each seed in order (#1 thru 16)
Contest #2: Picks (4 each) for the Sweet 16 teams by region (E, M, S, W) + tiebreaker total points for the 2 Saturday (April 1) Final Four games.
Contest #3: Picks for the FINAL FOUR (must get all 4 correct for the bonus)
Contest #4: The EOG contestant you think will win Contest #1

(Contest #5: The POD winners are determined by Contest #1)

Play-in picks (the first 4 games) can be the pair of teams with the winner being used or you can wait for the results.

Deadline for posting picks is March 16, 2023, Thursday 9:10 AM PT i.e., before tipoff (9:15AM) of the first game of the Round of 64.

For those wishing to conceal their picks, you can DM them to JK (or me, if you trust me!). They will be published after the Thursday deadline.

Many thanks to Jammer and good luck all.

Last edited:

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I think that was Villanova's miracle run. Personal anecdote. When they beat Michigan to make it to the Sweet Sixten, they celebrated like they won the whole thing. That was my thoughts and tweets at the time. Maybe I remember it wrong. My bad memory is that they had a big celebration after every win.

railbird

EOG Master

I detect a bias.
where is the Geno Aurriema pod?

nut6

EOG Master
I think that was Villanova's miracle run. Personal anecdote. When they beat Michigan to make it to the Sweet Sixten, they celebrated like they won the whole thing. That was my thoughts and tweets at the time. Maybe I remember it wrong. My bad memory is that they had a big celebration after every win.
I remember the win against Maryland. Held Bias to 8 points. Ended his double figure scoring streak at 52. Maryland almost went scoreless for a ten minute stretch.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Entry fee?

No entry fee to JAMMER's contest.

By invitation only.

Sporty, you will be invited to participate in contests this spring funded by NOWSHESMYRUCA and RAY LUCA.

RUCA's contest will debut in two weeks.

LUCA's contest is scheduled to follow shortly thereafter.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master

By invitation only.

Sporty, you will be invited to participate in contests this spring funded by NOWSHESMYRUCA and RAY LUCA.

Understood
Thanks JK

Wade

EOG Master

By invitation only.

Mr. Kelly, may I be invited please?

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
For convenience, I'll list the tournament teams/seeding after Selection Sunday, March 12, 2023

Please list picks, in following order (use full name and/or nickname):

Contest #1: Choose one team (that you think will go farthest in the tournament) from each seed in order (#1 thru 16) + tiebreaker total points for all three Final Four games.
Contest #2: Picks (4 each) for the Sweet 16 teams by region (E, M, S, W)
Contest #3: Picks for the FINAL FOUR (must get all 4 correct for the bonus)
Contest #4: The EOG contestant you think will win Contest #1

(Contest #5: The POD winners are determined by Contest #1)

Play-in picks (the first 4 games) can be the pair of teams with the winner being used or you can wait for the results.

Deadline for posting picks is March 16, 2023, Thursday 8:00 AM PT i.e., before tipoff of the first game of the Round of 64.

For those wishing to conceal their picks, you can DM them to JK (or me, if you trust me!). They will be published after the Thursday deadline.

Many thanks to Jammer and good luck all.

The tie-breaker is for the sweet 16 contest, if there is a tie between posters. The tie-breaker is total points from the 2 Final Four games played on Saturday.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
As I understand it, all EOG contributors will be invited to contests funded by RUCA and LUCA.

JAMMER's event is invitation-only.

All who joined EOG before Feb 24, 2023, the date contest was disclosed and must have minimum 100 posts here

Avoids ghosts w multiple entries

(My suggestion)