EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (JIMMYTHEGREEK is our June contestant)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rules:

1. Contestant will post 30 plays in 30 days (one play per day) starting the first of the month.
  2. Games must be played by month's end.
  3. Major North American team sports only: NFL, CFL, NCAAF, NBA, WNBA, NCAAB, NHL, MLB and MLS.
  4. Full-game sides and totals -110 or LOWER.
  5. Contestants are graded against Pinnacle numbers at the time of post.
  6. Must hit 60% or better to be declared a winner of the $1,000 prize.
  7. Cannot play both sides of the same game.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Nice timing on the thread, sir John. Late to bed, early to rise.

Thanks to eog, pinnacle, and JK for the opportunity.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

514 Denver -9 -104

To open the contest, and given the skin pickens in bases without favorable lines, I get why most might not agree with me as this being a popular play as well as given the reputation for liking favorites. However, I don't stand as confident as I normally would with this play, and as I mentioned previously the quality with just 7 games in baseball limits my choices.

11 days off for Denver since sweeping the Lakers means that some might expect the rust factor to doom Denver. At the same time Miami's confidence is rolling with momentum bring the second 8 seed to play for an NBA title. Being the smaller team and not one to click as soundly as Denver's offense, Jimmy B and Bam face a much tougher task this time around against the likes of 2 time MVP in Nikoka Jokic, the most versatile player in the NBA. and Janal Murray, who proved quite the sharpshooter in quick flurries. Jokic is putting up triple doubles like consuming hot cakes, and is a dominating and intriguing defensive presence. The latter on defense may not be said for Murray, but he is quite the benefit and recipient when he's hitting his shot and when he plays the 2 man game with the 7 foot Jokic. The nucleus with defense comes from Porter Jr, Gordon, and given the opportunity, Ben Brown who can also score the ball, rebound, and possess a post and perimeter presence as alternatives.

Butler, Adebayo, and the likes of Martin and Vincent are going to have to hit their open shots and face the inside presence of Jokic attacking the basket. Miami doesn't prefer to be sped up, but they will be forced to given Denver's tempo. Spolstera will look to play more half court, but Malone will have his guys maintain the game plan to run in transition and fire away if open on the perimeter. Jokic can burn you from outside as well as penetration to the basket, as well as get bunches of chances at the charity stripe. Murray can do the same easily when his jumper is falling. Denver hadn't had to play from behind much, so if they get the advantage early, they become that much more difficult to beat. Murray's defense however is fairly subpar, so if the Heat can take advantage with their guys hitting their shots free of Jokic, they will hang around the large number. However, Denver has so many weapons especially if they can get out to a big lead.

Miami has to be gassed given all the effort it took to out Boston, who refused to lay down down 0-3. The Heat finished second in the league in defense allowing 'only' 107 4 ppg, but face an even more potent offense in Denver. Jokic averaged a triple double and Murray scored nearly 33 ppg against the Lakers, quite the feat. My original prediction this series was Denver in 6, and maybe even 5 if Miami runs out of steam. Not to say Miami wouldn't be competitive, but will face a much more tougher challenge taking out the Nuggets tonight and their intangibles in the starting lineup and off the bench. Laying 9 is tough, but Denver gets it done with their tenacious offense in the high altitude.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

Let's see. Dude wanted writeups. Dude still mocking me before I even nae a pick, laughing at my posts, and saying I won't be winning anyway. Dude gets no more writeups.

Dude will not recover from DPD -250

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

975 Colorado +115

Oh Jordan, oh Jordan. Why have you not been sent down yet or released? Or at this point, both?

I hope you be the first to taste double digits tonight, with a goose egg.

I know the Rockies are bad, but let's face it, they ain't no Oakland. With crawlers and critters walking and roaming around through the walls or in other parts of Alameda.

KC not as bad as Oakland, but worse than the Rockies, though Kauffman is a much prettier venue than the Alameda moselieum.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

His non-posted picks are winning.
Yeah but I'm just not a fan of posting repetitive picks in the best bet and contest thread. Sometimes I feel the double jinx factor. I'm still posting them before first pitch.

Wait for it ..3..2..1.. (Yeah)

jimmythegreek

Was hoping this play would have gotten there yesterday after being tied up 3-3 early, but needed at 9.5, more runs in extras. Each starter not impressive especially over their last few starts. Hopefully the trend continues and the bullpens need to settle this one.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Let's see. Dude wanted writeups. Dude still mocking me before I even nae a pick, laughing at my posts, and saying I won't be winning anyway. Dude gets no more writeups.

Dude will not recover from DPD -250

Skip the write-ups Jimmy. You could be 25-5 or better with this and somebody still will find things to criticize.

Didn't consistently beat closers, too much chalk, only home teams, wrong-side winners, small sample size. It won't ever be good enough for gamblers, and especially here at EOG...a roost of negative nelly folks.

Good luck and I hope you win the dime.

jimmythegreek

Skip the write-ups Jimmy. You could be 25-5 or better with this and somebody still will find things to criticize.

Didn't consistently beat closers, too much chalk, only home teams, wrong-side winners, small sample size. It won't ever be good enough for gamblers, and especially here at EOG...a roost of negative nelly folks.

Good luck and I hope you win the dime.
Really couldn't find a low side or live dog on the baseball board that sat well with me today double dubs. So I went with a total that wasn't juicy at all.

It's not the criticism negatively that bothers me, but much rather the mocking of my best bet record by some, where it's not necessary.

Am I proud of it? Of course not.But other than banter or questions about why I played a game, I can respect it and take it, especially if it's obvious and kind of senseless on my part. I realize it's a playful forum and I'm going to absorb my boo birds when deserved. However I don't mock someone for their history outside of the best bet thread as this challenge to conquer is no joke.

I don't mind at all a passage supporting my pick decisions, but when the immature roast me for my overall record or constantly mock, that's where I draw the line. I hit another winner last night and I still get made fun of for my best bet record to where this contest is totally unrelated in another thread. Where's Rodney Dangerfield when you really need him?

Some moderators seem to take a permanent vacation when it comes to defending their cappers, not to mention return their calls or pms when they have questions. Thanks Woodrow for chiming in on your take and the well wishes.

Last edited: