The key to last-play laterals

railbird

EOG Master
1. never tuck the ball, always have it in ready position to re lateral it, the 2nd receiver could have made a 2nd pitch to wentz who was streaking, but had back turned to him. most wrs are terrible ball handlers, find the ex hs qbs on the team and put them in game

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I want to see the "lateral play" attempted two or three times in the final minute, not only on the final play of the game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd also like to see more Hail Mary passes on unusual down-and-distance situations.

#ElementOfSurprise

common guy

EOG Senior Member
The huge problem with eagles end game was not taking two more 12 yard outs the cowboys were giving them. Those only take 4 seconds. They would have got to the 10 with ten seconds left and if Wentz doesnt screw that up its three shots into the end zone.. Throwing down the middle involves getting 10 tired guys to line up-or worse-non ball handles fritzing around with laterals. With all that said Foles is the better man for the job.

Valuist

EOG Master
I had forgotten about that play. And only two laterals on this play. Seems like the more the laterals, the more problems. So 1 for 86 since the Music City Miracle.

Valuist

EOG Master
The point is, Hail Mary type passes seem to have a considerably higher success rate. And in the Music City Miracle, that was on a kickoff. It wasn't a play from scrimmage.

I'm still bitter about losing a bet last year because the team tried lateralling, the ball ended up on the ground and was returned for a TD. Think it was Washington/KC maybe? It turned a spread cover into a loss. Think it pushed the game over, as well.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
The point is, Hail Mary type passes seem to have a considerably higher success rate. And in the Music City Miracle, that was on a kickoff. It wasn't a play from scrimmage.

I'm still bitter about losing a bet last year because the team tried lateralling, the ball ended up on the ground and was returned for a TD. Think it was Washington/KC maybe? It turned a spread cover into a loss. Think it pushed the game over, as well.

Yep, I remember the game as I lost because of the lateraling as well. I've lost several games like that, the first one I can remember was a few years ago Ohio St at NW, I had NW and they were covering with only time enough for a kickoff, sure enough they start the lateral bullshit, the ball ends up loose in their own end zone, some guy for OSU falls on it for a TD and I'm left with a brutal beat. If you ever watch SVP's segment on bad beats, it's one of the highlights they show at the beginning.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If I were a college football coach, I would dress the school's rugby team for a play or two in each half.

Maybe that's why I'm an EOG contributor.