10 best and 5 worst college football coaches

Re: 10 best and 5 worst college football coaches

having bret bielema near the top 10 is laughable. he single handedly cost wisconsin 2 rose bowls with terrible coaching.

no other football scholarships in the state (division 1/2) made his recruiting job ridiculously easy.

Bigbill365

Banned

Eastern Michigan defintly sucks i may fade these guys every game i dont think i could lose

Art Briles is not top 10 imo. I think that may have been their "shock" pick or something.

Spurrier (just as an example) is a much better coach than Briles. Not sure who would disagree with this.

TOTALLY Agree with Ferentz on the bottom list...his teams have gotten worse and worse as years go on, plus he makes a fortune

frank beamer

he has turned that program around and its been a top 15 program year in and year out

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

Ferentz has little to work with year in and year out.Cant compare them to the big boys of The Big 10.

Iowa usually had a rock solid ats during regular season and bowls.He can coach my team any time,thats a tough place to recruit

djefferis

EOG Veteran

BB deserves to be right ahead of Beckman in the worst..no way he deserves a mention with the other 4 runners up...I could make serious arguments for any of the runners up for the #5 spot on this list -except for BB.

Petrino as a top 10 coach...no.

Ferentz always gets a pass on the "there is little top talent in state"...so what..last time I checked Idaho was worse than Iowa in talent...yet Boise has a team on top. Stanford is a much harder school academically, yet they are on top.

Iowa has more talent than those schools immediately available..and is on par with a state like South Carolina...yet the last 5 years, what have they done?

For the record..I dont agree Urban is #2. Id take Stoops as my second pick if my school had to hire a new coach.

djefferis

EOG Veteran

Seriously dont get how so many Big 10 schools suck at recruiting.

Iowa, Illinios, Indiana (until recently), Maryland, Michigan State and Nebraska all have winning traditions, a solid base of supporters (aka alumni who dont mind slipping a blue chip prospect keys to a new ride and a duffle bag of cash) and good facilites..yet kids want to go play 3rd string for a SEC school...why? Start for 3 years and be closer to home..why sit and hope a top player doesnt develop at your position in the next 3 years and walk in and take your spot starting?

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

Theres no way Iowa gets the top level recruits.Lots of times they are rejects and they played over their expectations.They cant sneak up on people any more and consequently they have suffered recently;theres not too many selling points to a top notch recruit

Seriously dont get how so many Big 10 schools suck at recruiting.

Iowa, Illinios, Indiana (until recently), Maryland, Michigan State and Nebraska all have winning traditions, a solid base of supporters (aka alumni who dont mind slipping a blue chip prospect keys to a new ride and a duffle bag of cash) and good facilites..yet kids want to go play 3rd string for a SEC school...why? Start for 3 years and be closer to home..why sit and hope a top player doesnt develop at your position in the next 3 years and walk in and take your spot starting?

scrawny people like me hate the cold. so it's easy for iowa and wisconsin to get 300 pound linemen to stay here, but the skill position players have no interest in freezing their balls off. they are going to be much faster and look better playing in warmer weather on ground that isn't cold and wet.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

The list is really meh. Here are my thoughts off the top of my head
Who has done more for their programs than Shaw and Strong in the past 3-5 seasons? Also why is there no mention of Richt at Georgia, I know he hasn't won the games vs Alabama but you can't tell me he hasn't done a remarkable job. Staying in the SEC James Franklin of Vandy who knew Vandy played football besides bettors until 2009?
ACC- Dabo has made quite a impact but Beemer is a legend. Bimbo can't be looked over as a bad hc while getting top recruiting classes and never winning much of anything. Spazziani of BC would def make my worst coaches of all time if he still had a job. You can mark my words that Fedora at NC will make that bad list sooner than later. Paul Johnson all he does is win playing 1940's style of football against teams knowing his gameplan ahead of time.

Conf USA- Ruffin Mcneil is really great but would never get much attention because of the conf and lack of tv banter. Geroge O'Leary at UCF btw is incredible imo but also would never get a nod on a list like this.

Big 12- Mack Brown is either senile or has just let the game pass him by but no one should discount the job he has done. Gundy at Ok state probably deserves the nod over stoops and Briles in this division alone. Paul Rhodes, Bill Snyder are incredible with what they do as far as talent scales. Bob Stoops doesn't belong anywhere near a top 10 vote imho. Art Briles only coaches one side of the ball and neglects every other aspect of defense and ST how the heck does he make the cut over Sumlin or others.
Pac 12- Kyle Whittingham is a shoe in for the worst coach here and he can blame the big division transition all he wants but he has had a lot of talent and done nothing to help their cause losing to Colorado and missing a bowl and the bnext season never scratching the surface. Kiffin is lol bad obv.
Big 10- For Kirk to make one list rightfully. D'Antonio deserves to be on the top of the other list for everything he acheived. He is a fascinating coach and gets his kids to buy into a style of play that is boring at best in todays game..
Bielema never outcoached this man and if they had the same talent Mich St would have never under any circumstance loses on a neutral field.
Nebraska better get 10 wins this year or their cruel boosters will be showing myother least favorite coach in the division the door. Jerry Kill is also a guy who can't call a game imo. However you can't make this list on this division without being floored by what Fitzgerald at NW has done and he will be in the NFL sooner than later.
Bronco Mendenhall is a really great coach but again probably not going to make the top 10 of a list like this.

With the coaching carousel that is todays game it's a pretty decent list but missing some very big names and replacing them with who wins tv games is bad but not for the market they are trying to reach.
Btw Beckham is not on my list of worst 5 surprisingly (mostly because of small sample size and lack of talent he is dealing with) but off the top of my head it'd go.

1. Lane Kiffin (worst ats in ncaff not even close)
2. Terry Bowden (He can never make his mind up)
3. Will Muschamp (He never has a offensive plan and usually after the 1st half he is just running around red in the face screaming at his kids who don't know the plays he is trying to call. He has had some success but he also inherited the best recruiting classes Florida ever had)
4. David Bailiff at Rice is really trying to get out of my worst list but this guy gets supreme talent at that program and I'm almost positive 2012 was his first winning season another what happens on defense that's successful is accidental.
5. troy Calhoun- Has never ever won a big game in his life. 0-6 in bowl games that are really lay down spots but even more fascinating he has never won a game that was a tv game. He got outcoached at home vs Hawaaii last season and seems to be lost when they are playing anyone outside of New Mexico or not at home.
Bobby Hauck was already mentioned but I'm unsure Hauck ever has any chance of winning despite his efforts as a coach. They recruited a 2 star this year and their beat writer applauded them for 5 paragraphs no one wants to play there.

Gary Pinkel stays in the Big 12 last year and win 8,9 games he might of made the list instead of Broyles etc.
Might of gotten carried away take care, MILK

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

I always liked Pat Hill at Fresno St.They were great as dogs(especially in bowls)against big name schools.

They would screw up against lesser teams but I still liked him.Would like to see him back in the game

BB deserves to be right ahead of Beckman in the worst..no way he deserves a mention with the other 4 runners up...I could make serious arguments for any of the runners up for the #5 spot on this list -except for BB.

Petrino as a top 10 coach...no.

Ferentz always gets a pass on the "there is little top talent in state"...so what..last time I checked Idaho was worse than Iowa in talent...yet Boise has a team on top. Stanford is a much harder school academically, yet they are on top.

Iowa has more talent than those schools immediately available..and is on par with a state like South Carolina...yet the last 5 years, what have they done?

For the record..I dont agree Urban is #2. Id take Stoops as my second pick if my school had to hire a new coach.

you're kidding, right?

the next big game stoops wins will be his first.

corysmom

EOG Enthusiast

Mack Brown @ Texas has done so little with so much

i'll be interested to see whether sonny dykes can turn around cal's program. his background makes him a very strange fit for berkeley, but he's definitely a coach on the rise.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

I think Brady Hoke is already a top 5 coach and everyone will have him on their list in 4 years. Hoke is proving to be every bit the recruiter Urban Meyer is.

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Brady Hoke

I think Brady Hoke is already a top 5 coach and everyone will have him on their list in 4 years. Hoke is proving to be every bit the recruiter Urban Meyer is.

1. Saban
2. Meyer
3. Brady Hoke

I think Bill O brien is up there somewhere. Look what he did with the mess at PSU.

papa 5

EOG Veteran

I always liked Pat Hill at Fresno St.They were great as dogs(especially in bowls)against big name schools.

They would screw up against lesser teams but I still liked him.Would like to see him back in the game
He was good. Remember he gave USC one hell of a scare in Bush era.

djefferis

EOG Veteran

I'd still take Stoops if I was starting a team - just getting to the big game means something when you've got an uphill battle talent wise. Again - we are talking career, not recent big game records. Oklahoma should be a top 25 school every few years based on talent base/location - yet they are always in the top 10 thanks to him.

Agree on Mack Brown - that school should be much stronger..of course, its not like he has no competition for recruits. Still, plenty of talent in Tx and should be getting a bigger share.

Brady Hoke as a top 5 - no. He has had a decent run so far, but thats more luck and the rest of the big 10 being down. If we are going to base rankings off of what someone has done in a 4 year period of a career - Bill Snyder is going to be the best coach ever, and Charlie Weiss wouldnt be at the bottom of the list. These list are OVERALL - good and bad. Urban is still a top 5 based on his career at Florida - if we were rating just his year at Ohio State - he isnt in the conversation.

Surprisingly, Beemer isn't on the list anywhere. Virginia Tech is usually pretty powerful year in and year out. He gets the most from his players for sure.

djefferis

EOG Veteran

Beemer is good...but, lets be honest.

Its not like Virginia is an unattractive place to recruit students to. Its got plenty of positives, its not the most difficult school academically and its in state competition is weak.

VaTech is no Florida State in attractiveness to recruits...but it blows away a school like Wisconsin or Tennessee. Both big time programs with geographic weakness. He does it year in and year out and that counts for something..but if you allowed in students on athletic ability ALONE you might look smarter than you really are. Its not like he is recruiting thugs and criminals..but thats only because he doesnt need to. He can pick the pro caliber kid who is not a top standardized test scorer and help them focus on football.

He would be in my 5-15 grouping...not quite top 5 active, but a couple of back to back top 5 finishes in BCS would put him there again.

djefferis

EOG Veteran

I think Bill O brien is up there somewhere. Look what he did with the mess at PSU.

Again..1 year playing Big 10 in a down year.

Did he get more out of the team than anyone expected..sure. But great coaches dont get beat by Ohio U.

Could he develop into the top Big 10 coach..sure. Fitzgerald might have to leave, Urban might have to retirr and Hoke might have to fail the next 3 years for him to do that..but its possible.

Really unfair to the guy as its a no win position...do well and your still on probation...lose because of inferior talent and your to blame. They still will get blue-chip kids because of who they are and where they are..but not all they normally would.

I mean - if you were a big prospect in NJ or EasternPa 10 years ago..which would you have picked..Rutgers or Penn State...think that choice has changed a decade later.

Take out the recruiting element..and he is better. Hard to recruit to happy valley these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if PINKEL is let go by Missouri following another difficult year, his teams seem to have peaked and his off the field stuff is a real embarrassment to the university. Not Jerry Sandusky bad, but not good either.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

I'd still take Stoops if I was starting a team - just getting to the big game means something when you've got an uphill battle talent wise. Again - we are talking career, not recent big game records. Oklahoma should be a top 25 school every few years based on talent base/location - yet they are always in the top 10 thanks to him.

Agree on Mack Brown - that school should be much stronger..of course, its not like he has no competition for recruits. Still, plenty of talent in Tx and should be getting a bigger share.

Brady Hoke as a top 5 - no. He has had a decent run so far, but thats more luck and the rest of the big 10 being down. If we are going to base rankings off of what someone has done in a 4 year period of a career - Bill Snyder is going to be the best coach ever, and Charlie Weiss wouldnt be at the bottom of the list. These list are OVERALL - good and bad. Urban is still a top 5 based on his career at Florida - if we were rating just his year at Ohio State - he isnt in the conversation.

2012 was his first full recruiting class.

2012 Michigan finished ranked #7 in recruiting
2013 Michigan finished ranked #5 in recruiting

And in 2014

[h=2]ESPN’s Top 5[/h]1. Leonard Fournette, RB: is considering Michigan and wants to visit this fall.
2. Jabrill Peppers, CB: The nation’s #2 ranked player has committed to Michigan.
3. Andrew Brown, DT: No Michigan interest, is committed to Virginia.
4. Da’Shawn Hand, DE: Has Michigan in his top 3 and will take an official visit this fall.
5. Adoree Jackson, CB: Has Michigan in his top 10 and hopes to visit this summer.

Recruiting is not about luck and that's what Michigan is getting right. Michigan is building a great foundation and will be returning to the top 5 pretty soon. One of the main reasons is Hoke and everyone will see this in the next 3 to 5 years.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Check out who Urban Meyer recruited out of Australia. OSU might be playing field position football in 2013.

Drnkyourmlkshk;n5742806 said:

The list is really meh. Here are my thoughts off the top of my head
Who has done more for their programs than Shaw and Strong in the past 3-5 seasons? Also why is there no mention of Richt at Georgia, I know he hasn't won the games vs Alabama but you can't tell me he hasn't done a remarkable job. Staying in the SEC James Franklin of Vandy who knew Vandy played football besides bettors until 2009?
ACC- Dabo has made quite a impact but Beemer is a legend. Bimbo can't be looked over as a bad hc while getting top recruiting classes and never winning much of anything. Spazziani of BC would def make my worst coaches of all time if he still had a job. You can mark my words that Fedora at NC will make that bad list sooner than later. Paul Johnson all he does is win playing 1940's style of football against teams knowing his gameplan ahead of time.

Conf USA- Ruffin Mcneil is really great but would never get much attention because of the conf and lack of tv banter. Geroge O'Leary at UCF btw is incredible imo but also would never get a nod on a list like this.

Big 12- Mack Brown is either senile or has just let the game pass him by but no one should discount the job he has done. Gundy at Ok state probably deserves the nod over stoops and Briles in this division alone. Paul Rhodes, Bill Snyder are incredible with what they do as far as talent scales. Bob Stoops doesn't belong anywhere near a top 10 vote imho. Art Briles only coaches one side of the ball and neglects every other aspect of defense and ST how the heck does he make the cut over Sumlin or others.
Pac 12- Kyle Whittingham is a shoe in for the worst coach here and he can blame the big division transition all he wants but he has had a lot of talent and done nothing to help their cause losing to Colorado and missing a bowl and the bnext season never scratching the surface. Kiffin is lol bad obv.
Big 10- For Kirk to make one list rightfully. D'Antonio deserves to be on the top of the other list for everything he acheived. He is a fascinating coach and gets his kids to buy into a style of play that is boring at best in todays game..
Bielema never outcoached this man and if they had the same talent Mich St would have never under any circumstance loses on a neutral field.
Nebraska better get 10 wins this year or their cruel boosters will be showing myother least favorite coach in the division the door. Jerry Kill is also a guy who can't call a game imo. However you can't make this list on this division without being floored by what Fitzgerald at NW has done and he will be in the NFL sooner than later.
Bronco Mendenhall is a really great coach but again probably not going to make the top 10 of a list like this.

With the coaching carousel that is todays game it's a pretty decent list but missing some very big names and replacing them with who wins tv games is bad but not for the market they are trying to reach.
Btw Beckham is not on my list of worst 5 surprisingly (mostly because of small sample size and lack of talent he is dealing with) but off the top of my head it'd go.

1. Lane Kiffin (worst ats in ncaff not even close)
2. Terry Bowden (He can never make his mind up)
3. Will Muschamp (He never has a offensive plan and usually after the 1st half he is just running around red in the face screaming at his kids who don't know the plays he is trying to call. He has had some success but he also inherited the best recruiting classes Florida ever had)
4. David Bailiff at Rice is really trying to get out of my worst list but this guy gets supreme talent at that program and I'm almost positive 2012 was his first winning season another what happens on defense that's successful is accidental.
5. troy Calhoun- Has never ever won a big game in his life. 0-6 in bowl games that are really lay down spots but even more fascinating he has never won a game that was a tv game. He got outcoached at home vs Hawaaii last season and seems to be lost when they are playing anyone outside of New Mexico or not at home.
Bobby Hauck was already mentioned but I'm unsure Hauck ever has any chance of winning despite his efforts as a coach. They recruited a 2 star this year and their beat writer applauded them for 5 paragraphs no one wants to play there.

Gary Pinkel stays in the Big 12 last year and win 8,9 games he might of made the list instead of Broyles etc.
Might of gotten carried away take care, MILK

Interesting post here Milker. Would be interesting to see how your opinions have changed.

Whittingham has done a decent good job imo. He has struggled against Pac-12 teams but has dominated out of conference. 27-1 su ooc since they entered the Pac-12.

I found this thread because I was searching for Mark Stoops. Amazing turnaround for this guy... from being absolutely terrible with his terrible brother at Arizona to going to work for Jimbo (and probably learning something)..... to this season.....
He still is not a good coach imo, but is having a home run season

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
One problem with these lists as other posters hit on is that the recruiting can be better or worse from year to year than coaching. Recruiting is often kept separate from the head coach because of situations in the past where recruiters were "gifting" the student or his parents.

railbird

EOG Master
Biff41;n7456906 said:
One problem with these lists as other posters hit on is that the recruiting can be better or worse from year to year than coaching. Recruiting is often kept separate from the head coach because of situations in the past where recruiters were "gifting" the student or his parents.

I see this in basketball, lots of guys don't even do the recruiting, their bagmen do all the work, and they get to be perceived as legends., these legends when faced vs equal talent and fair officiating usually get outcoached