2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Hearing a possible suitor for Jason Hayward - SF, but it’s a steep price. Cubs would get Samardija and Melancon in return. Sounds like a junk bond deal.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

The Nats hired Dave Martinez as their 18th manager in franchise history.

The list of failed Washington managers seems endless: Felipe Alou, Jeff Torborg, Frank Robinson, Manny Acta, Jim Riggleman, an old Davey Johnson, Matt Williams and of course Dusty Baker.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Hearing a possible suitor for Jason Hayward - SF, but it’s a steep price. Cubs would get Samardija and Melancon in return. Sounds like a junk bond deal.

What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.

What percentage of the Heyward deal would cubs eat? I’d eat 60 percent to get rid of him. Samardzja would look good as a 5th starter next year in Chicago.

You finally realizing that rain delay speeches and being a good clubhouse guy don't help you win baseball games?

kane

EOG master

The Marlins are about to hold yet another fire sale. Stanton, Prado, and Gordon are all available. Right now they plan on hanging onto Ozuna and Yelich, but anything is possible with them

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Bruce Levine was talking about it on the Score 670today, so it’s a creditable source. He made it sound like a trade of taking on up-front money vs long-term. I’m guessing this came from SF.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Junk for Junk....

Samardzija's 3.61 FIP last year suggests he would benefit greatly from going back to pitching in front of a competent defense. In fact... rebuilding Cubs, A's, White Sox, tanking Giants by accident, it's arguable he's never pitched in front of a competent defense.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

The Marlins are about to hold yet another fire sale. Stanton, Prado, and Gordon are all available. Right now they plan on hanging onto Ozuna and Yelich, but anything is possible with them
Mind boggling that they would trade Stanton.

lap18

EOG Dedicated

good to see Javy finally accepts what everybody has known for a very long time.....Heyward contract was terrible.
Javy knows baseball, no doubt about that.
cant imagine what the Giants see there unless the Cubs eat a ton of that big salary.

kane

EOG master

Mind boggling that they would trade Stanton.

During Jeter's first press conference he announced they were cutting payroll, going from 140M to 90M, the only way to accomplish that is by moving Stanton. It's bad enough they'll trade him, but now that other teams know the Marlins want to cut payroll, they won't even get back equal value, not that they would anyway, but other teams will now low ball them knowing Stanton has to be moved. And the shit show continues with them, at some point in the future I expect Yelich and Ozuna to be gone as well, I imagine there would be a lot of interest in either of those two guys. Throw Stanton in a lineup with Turner, Seager and Bellnger, wow. Another team to maybe watch for would be the Cubs, I don't know what Theo is thinking, and I know they need pitching more than hitting, but the Cubs have the type of cheap young talent that the Marlins would be looking for (Schwarber, Happ, etc). Stanton, Rizzo, Bryant is pretty impressive. So much fun being a Marlins fan, first they gave away Miggy for nothing, now it will be Stanton, I can only hope whatever they get in return works out, but knowing them, it won't

kane

EOG master

Could see the Cubs going for him...

I know the Phillies are in love with Yelich, I don't think he's on the block right now, and I don't know if Miami would trade within the division, but at some point if Yelich ends up in Philly, remember where you heard it first

Valuist

EOG Master

Samardzija's 3.61 FIP last year suggests he would benefit greatly from going back to pitching in front of a competent defense. In fact... rebuilding Cubs, A's, White Sox, tanking Giants by accident, it's arguable he's never pitched in front of a competent defense.

Samardzija had one of the best strikeout/walk ratios in MLB last year. But he also can get too much of the plate. But I'd still make that trade. Melancon off one bad year could be worth a roll of the dice. If Heyward was off just one bad year, it would be one thing. But a corner OF has to hit better than that. SF is desperate for offense so hard to understand why they would target Heyward. Only rationale is RF in AT & T is really big and he can cover a lot more ground than Pence (when Pence actually plays).

Heim

EOG Master

Benintendi as a Cub? Got a feeling Theo will make it happen.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

There's almost no shot Boston trades him.

Red Sox have no power and Schwarber is probably a 40 HR guy in that park, so I wouldn't say no shot.

I'm not crazy about the trade anyway, Schwarber had a joke of a year bc of his first 2 months and still out OPS'd Benintendi.

Red Sox have no power and Schwarber is probably a 40 HR guy in that park, so I wouldn't say no shot.

I'm not crazy about the trade anyway, Schwarber had a joke of a year bc of his first 2 months and still out OPS'd Benintendi.

I guess if you take away that:

Schwarber is liability in the field while Benintendi is a good glove

Schwarber carries a plow with him on the bases while Benintendi is an excellent base runner

Schwarber had almost 200 fewer PA's because he essentially became a platoon player

Than yeah I guess your argument works.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I guess if you take away that:

Schwarber is liability in the field while Benintendi is a good glove

Schwarber carries a plow with him on the bases while Benintendi is an excellent base runner

Schwarber had almost 200 fewer PA's because he essentially became a platoon player

Than yeah I guess your argument works.

Schwarber’s numbers in the outfield are nowhere near as bad as you think, so you’re mostly basing this off the fact he’s chunky and made a few errors in the playoffs. Not good evaluation.

And Schwarber was a .900 OPS guy in the second half. That’s valuable. He also hit lefties decently when given a shot in the second half.

Benitendi needs to hit with more power. A corner outfield that is below .800 OPS in this juiced era isn’t going to cut it.

That said, I have a pretty good read on these deals. Called Lester to Cubs, called Theo to cubs, called Maddon to Cubs, all years in advance. I’ll put my baseball knowledge up against anyone, especially you, good lad.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

If Theo plans on offering Bryce a mega deal next year then he absolutely will move Schwarber for someone like Benitendi since there would be no shortage of power with Harper and Bryant and Rizzo.

Schwarber’s numbers in the outfield are nowhere near as bad as you think, so you’re mostly basing this off the fact he’s chunky and made a few errors in the playoffs. Not good evaluation.

And Schwarber was a .900 OPS guy in the second half. That’s valuable. He also hit lefties decently when given a shot in the second half.

Benitendi needs to hit with more power. A corner outfield that is below .800 OPS in this juiced era isn’t going to cut it.

That said, I have a pretty good read on these deals. Called Lester to Cubs, called Theo to cubs, called Maddon to Cubs, all years in advance. I’ll put my baseball knowledge up against anyone, especially you, good lad.

Your baseball knowledge consists entirely of being a cubbies fanboy

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Your baseball knowledge consists entirely of being a cubbies fanboy

wrong, in 2014 I said they were poised to be the best team in baseball

from 2015-2017, they won more games than any other major league club and played in 3 NLCS's and won a world series... someone isn't a homer for being right little lady. I know you're a moron, but you're not too dumb to understand the concept of being right and wrong.

owned

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

400+ million dollars. Seems you haven't paid attention to how mega contracts have worked out as a whole.

lol yeah I'm sure there's no difference between signing a 26 year old Bryce Harper and a 34 year old Albert Pujols or Miguel Cabrera

do you even think before you speak

How's Kershaw's deal looking for example?

kane

EOG master

The thought that the Red Sox would trade Benintendi for Schwarber is too dumb to even discuss, Dombrowski isn't that stupid

lol yeah I'm sure there's no difference between signing a 26 year old Bryce Harper and a 34 year old Albert Pujols or Miguel Cabrera

do you even think before you speak

How's Kershaw's deal looking for example?

Funny arguing with you on baseball contracts considering we both were on opposite ends of the Heyward signing at the time they made the deal. You wouldn't listen. LOL

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Funny arguing with you on baseball contracts considering we both were on opposite ends of the Heyward signing at the time they made the deal. You wouldn't listen. LOL

Wrong again, I wanted another player over Heyward (who didn’t even work out)

But if lying to yourself to feel better is all you have, enjoy it. Pretty pathetic

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

how could you not
Signing megacontracts never really works out. Are the Cubs going to sign Bryant, Rizzo, and Harper to megadeals? What about the others when it’s time to get paid? There is a lot of protection in the Nats order and his numbers are good, not great. What about egos?

wrong, in 2014 I said they were poised to be the best team in baseball

from 2015-2017, they won more games than any other major league club and played in 3 NLCS's and won a world series... someone isn't a homer for being right little lady. I know you're a moron, but you're not too dumb to understand the concept of being right and wrong.

owned

This is the first I'm hearing of this.

No wait a minute it's probably the 100th or more.

JavyBaez9

Timely is my bitchJoin DateAug 24, 2014Posts16,800

[h=2] Re: Jason Heyward v. Yoenis Cespedes[/h]

Originally Posted by Ronaldo
I don't disagree. But I do think most reasonable Cub fans would agree Theo's track record with big FA contracts is questionable. His other areas of franchise development have been very good.

A contract should be measured at the time of the deal. You could sign a good deal that becomes a bad one due to no fault of your own.

The Heyward deal was a good one. Not many educated baseball opinions would disagree.​

MrTop

EOG Master

someone said it earlier...swarber to the redsox...... I could see it happening ....redsox zero power.