2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

richsox24

EOG Master
Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

It could happen. Dumbrowski is gonna be in panic mode after the Yankees big move.

Red sox looking at Schwarber, JD Martinez or Eric Hosimer.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

What would the cubs even want from the Red Sox that they’d be willing to give up? Cubs don’t want Jackie Bradley Jr.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

What would the cubs even want from the Red Sox that they’d be willing to give up? Cubs don’t want Jackie Bradley Jr.

Wtf? As a red sox fan Id be beyond pissed at shwarber for Bradley. Bradley Jr. Is a beast of a defender and is clutch, has speed and his potential is terrific. He is a 25/85 guy who you can put anywhere in the lineup who hits 260 and this past year was the first time he ever had a injury which lingered and he still finished 2nd in gold glove voting. Is this a real trade talk? Or did you just use him as a example? Sox are going to need defense with no 4th or 5th starter and a padres middle relief more than KS.

Above poster is right I expect my sox to panic and spend far too much on someone. If they had any sense at all they would have gotten Morrow, boxberger and pursue Wade Davis/holland they have no middle pen at all. Team has a huge payroll and trots out junk innings 6-8 and then hopes Kimbrel can strike out the side after walking the bases loaded every other appearance.
Instead of bullpen theyll grab hosmer for a max deal or trade for miguel cabrera lol. If they sign JD martinez we are fucked.

I feel sad just thinking of what our middle pen looks like facing Judge/stanton/sanchez with a one run lead after sale goes 6 throwing 115 pitches of 2 hit ball.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

You'd take home runs and a bad defender over a gold glove in center? Warm me up to this idea in case its real. What do we get in Shwarber that makes him as valuable as a 26 year old Bradley who I know hasn't shown a great deal of huge stats outside of 2016 but played extremely hurt (wrist and ribs) last season but still was a premier defender and worked counts at a huge clip.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

You'd take home runs and a bad defender over a gold glove in center? Warm me up to this idea in case its real. What do we get in Shwarber that makes him as valuable as a 26 year old Bradley who I know hasn't shown a great deal of huge stats outside of 2016 but played extremely hurt (wrist and ribs) last season but still was a premier defender and worked counts at a huge clip.

Schwarber has fewer major league at bats, better offensive production, and is younger first off.

Second of all, Albert Almora Jr. is just as good as Bradley defensively and may end up a better hitter and might already be. So how does Schwarber for Bradley help the Cubs?

You telling me the Cubs would rather have a 26 year old posting low .700s OPS from center field than stick with a 23 year old posting high .700 OPS?

I can guarantee you the Cubs won’t be trading Schwarber for Bradley

kane

EOG master

Apparently some scout said he would be the next David Ortiz, so there's that

Valuist

EOG Master

Theo did draft Bradley back in 2011. Almora, Bradley and Heyward would be the best defensive outfield in years.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Theo did draft Bradley back in 2011. Almora, Bradley and Heyward would be the best defensive outfield in years.

Yeah I mean Bradley isn't useless, but it doesn't make any sense for the Cubs to trade Schwarber for Bradley. They already have Almora Jr. and Heyward, 2 of the best defensive outfielders in baseball.

Also, as stated before, Schwarber's value is currently lower than it should be due to his year last year. Missing a full year in his first full major league year is tough and April and May killed his numbers. So a team would have to give the Cubs his value acknowledging his high ceiling, and I don't think anyone will. If Schwarber has a bounce back year, and Theo is going after Bryce, you could see Schwarber moved at that point.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Sox have the best defensive outfield Ive seen while alive as a fan. Im sure theyll mess it up and throw Martinez or Shwarber in to keep up with Stanton Hr's:(

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Derek Jeter not at the winter meetings?

I'm a bit surprised to learn Jeter is a bitch... but I guess since the Yankees moved AROD from SS to 3rd in his prime when Jeter was a shitty SS should say all I need to know about what kind of person Jeter is.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Sox have the best defensive outfield Ive seen while alive as a fan. Im sure theyll mess it up and throw Martinez or Shwarber in to keep up with Stanton Hr's:(

Only 71 of Boston's 162 games went OVER the total last season.

Missing David Ortiz and Drink's note about Boston's outstanding outfield defense were two of the reasons why Boston was involved in so many UNDER games.

Valuist

EOG Master

Yeah I mean Bradley isn't useless, but it doesn't make any sense for the Cubs to trade Schwarber for Bradley. They already have Almora Jr. and Heyward, 2 of the best defensive outfielders in baseball.

Also, as stated before, Schwarber's value is currently lower than it should be due to his year last year. Missing a full year in his first full major league year is tough and April and May killed his numbers. So a team would have to give the Cubs his value acknowledging his high ceiling, and I don't think anyone will. If Schwarber has a bounce back year, and Theo is going after Bryce, you could see Schwarber moved at that point.

For Schwarber's own sake, going to the AL would be a positive. Wrigley is brutal on LH pull power, particularly in April and May. He could very well get off to another slow start if its a cold spring, which happens more often that not. What were the specifics of the Archer trade talks? Was that Schwarber going to Tampa or somebody (or somebodies) else?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Maybe If they want schwarber so bad, they will take Heyward also.

Valuist

EOG Master

Only 71 of Boston's 162 games went OVER the total last season.

Missing David Ortiz and Drink's note about Boston's outstanding outfield defense were two of the reasons why Boston was involved in so many UNDER games.

No Ortiz really hurt but Boston had a number of hitters whose production fell quite a bit from 2016: Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley & Pedroia.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I once spoke with Eric Karros, longtime Dodger and former Cub, and he mentioned the cold weather at Wrigley in April and May as a significant challenge for hitters who sometimes never recover from a slow start to the season.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I've always heard the Rays are most interested in Baez, maybe Happ. I don't think I'd trade a Baez package for Archer. I'd like to see Archer be 2013-2015 Archer again in the first half before I'd be willing to trade core pieces for him.

kane

EOG master

I once spoke with Eric Karros, longtime Dodger and former Cub, and he mentioned the cold weather at Wrigley in April and Mayas a significant challenge for hitters who sometimes never recover from a slow start to the season.

Especially if you're a tall black glider

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Heyward definitely doesn't like hitting at Wrigley

.687 OPS at home
.745 OPS on road

Valuist

EOG Master

I've always heard the Rays are most interested in Baez, maybe Happ. I don't think I'd trade a Baez package for Archer. I'd like to see Archer be 2013-2015 Archer again in the first half before I'd be willing to trade core pieces for him.

Agreed. Baez too valuable. Gold glove potential at multiple positions; very good power for middle infielder. While he still strikes out too much, he's cut down quite a bit from his 2014-2015 days. His defensive gems also seem to energize the team.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Agreed. Baez too valuable. Gold glove potential at multiple positions; very good power for middle infielder. While he still strikes out too much, he's cut down quite a bit from his 2014-2015 days. His defensive gems also seem to energize the team.

Yeah, Baez saved us the month or so Russell missed. I would probably trade Baez for ace Archer, but he's been 3/4 caliber starter Archer for 2 years in a row now.

Valuist

EOG Master

Heyward definitely doesn't like hitting at Wrigley

.687 OPS at home
.745 OPS on road

Even Rizzo has pretty big HR splits between home and road. Very few LHH on the Cubs have hit over 20 HRs between Billy Williams and Rizzo. Leon Durham did it a few times and Bobby Murcer once. Palmeiro never did (with the Cubs). Mark Grace never did. Kingman, Sandberg, Dawson, George Bell, Sosa, Ramirez, Derek Lee, Soriano all RHH.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Orioles want Matt Harvey? I guess Ubaldo is almost done and they want to make sure they have at least one or two 7 ERA guys in the rotation

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

JBJ might have the best arm I've ever seen from a CF'er

I cant find even a smidgen of bradley trade talks. I cant see it. He makes very little, is a gold glover and is entering his prime. I think Javy was just using him as a example. Wish the cubs were interested in pedroia or Holt.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I cant find even a smidgen of bradley trade talks. I cant see it. He makes very little, is a gold glover and is entering his prime. I think Javy was just using him as a example. Wish the cubs were interested in pedroia or Holt.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jackie-bradley-jr

nah Red Sox are very open to trying to trade him it sounds like.

Just saying I don't think the Cubs will want him.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jackie-bradley-jr

nah Red Sox are very open to trying to trade him it sounds like.

Just saying I don't think the Cubs will want him.

Just great. Now we can watch Chris Young even more.. fml.
The lack of power is so silly when discussing a team who had a mental case as a manager and still won the east. You also get a full year of Devers. Just ridiculous. Trading defensive runs saved for home runs and paying out the ass to do so. Might as well see if Chris Davis is available and trade jackie Bradley straight up:(

The more I think about it ,the more I think
the Yankees will regret taking on Stanton.

He costs a lot, long term contract, duplicates Judge, kind of overcrowds an already stuffed outfield....we've got Ellsbury at high pay , now like a fifth outfielder, good prospects like Frazier, and easy enough to sign another one via trade or whatever.

A quality starting pitcher in the 15-20 M range is more needed than Stanton, they now barely have enough money to sign CC for 8-10 M and remain under the luxury tax limit, forget about an ACE !

MrTop

EOG Master

phillies want jake.... wow

cubs have 2nd place locked up if they lose jake

A third team has reached out to the Mets and are interested in Matt Harvey.

The Chicago Cubs....... LOL.

Can't imagine him going anywhere with his value at an an time low. He wasn't even a number 5 after suffering his second major injury.

Jim Duquette reported on it and Andy Martino confirmed.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Getting traded from the Mets to the Cubs... sheesh, that'd be like going to bed married to Rosie O Donnell and waking up married to Liza Soberano

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

If you read through Theo's lines on Stanton trade, seems pretty clear he's dead set on going after Bryce.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Getting traded from the Mets to the Cubs... sheesh, that'd be like going to bed married to Rosie O Donnell and waking up married to Liza Soberano

Not really. However itll be hilarious watching you turn into a Matt Harvey fan after 1000 posts bashing him.
Arrietta to the phils would be pretty sick. That franchise is on the rise but I still think they don't have enough bats to convince me they arent a year or two away from contending.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Would be a big mistake....Phil’s don’t need 5 inning guys who walks more than their fair share...

Marlins are tanking the next decade... Braves just got their system gutted... Mets are a sideshow... Nationals missed their window... and yet the Phillies still aren't near contention.

Worst division in the history of major league baseball and still not competing after 6 years of rebuilding. Pathetic.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Not really. However itll be hilarious watching you turn into a Matt Harvey fan after 1000 posts bashing him.
Arrietta to the phils would be pretty sick. That franchise is on the rise but I still think they don't have enough bats to convince me they arent a year or two away from contending.

Matt Harvey is trash and I said this long before everyone else agreed it was reality. That must have been something you missed in your drug induced stupor.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

Santana has interest from the red sox. Id like that quite alot compared to Hosmer and a ten year contract whos never had the pressure of expectations and fans who will hate him after 1 0-4 day.