2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

JavyBaez9

EOG Master
Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

$20 million per for a .818 OPS 1st baseman who will be 32 when the season begins. This is the kind of bad deal a team one player away might make and then still regret.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Baseball historians would be interested in this. A friend of the Yankees' owner back in 1954 bought the Philly A's and then moved the team to Kansas City and sent all of his good players to the Yankees in lopsided deals. Personally I think this tarnishes the entire Yankees legacy as a franchise.

And round 2 is just beginning. :lol

kane

EOG master

Zack Cozart to the Angels, they've had a busy off season so far

Zack Cozart to the Angels, they've had a busy off season so far

Bad move for Angels. Cozart is a mediocre hitter who finally put it together for 2017. What makes his career #'s more alarming is that he's played his entire career in one of the best hitters parks there is. Excluding 2017 he barely had enough bat to justify playing everyday at SS. Cozart will now move to 3B and he surely doesn't have the bat to justify playing there.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Bad move for Angels. Cozart is a mediocre hitter who finally put it together for 2017. What makes his career #'s more alarming is that he's played his entire career in one of the best hitters parks there is. Excluding 2017 he barely had enough bat to justify playing everyday at SS. Cozart will now move to 3B and he surely doesn't have the bat to justify playing there.

Also spent a bunch of time on the DL...

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I've heard talks of Addison Russell for Manny Machado.

No. I don't get the fascination with Manny Machado. He's talked about as a cornerstone player, yet his offensive numbers have always been good but not great and now he is demanding he gets a shot at SS despite the fact he's probably not going to be a good defensive shortstop. No thanks, low character guy, clubhouse problems.

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cu...on-russell-for-manny-machado-blockbuster-deal

Heim

EOG Master

Dodgers reacquired outfielder Matt Kemp from Atlanta in exchange for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, pitcher Brandon McCarthy, pitcher Scott Kazmir and infielder Charlie Culberson.

Can he stay healthy?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

this move was just to relieve Dodgers of the luxury tax penalty and reset them for next year

honestly, dodgers are the least efficient team in all of sports maybe besides maybe the Tigers... can't believe some here believe they are huge on sabermetrics, the only point of sabermetrics is to be efficient, and not one thing they do is to be efficient... they make dog shit deals every single deal b/c they can

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Dodgers reacquired outfielder Matt Kemp from Atlanta in exchange for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, pitcher Brandon McCarthy, pitcher Scott Kazmir and infielder Charlie Culberson.

Can he stay healthy?

You think Kemp even is on the Dodger roster on opening day?

MrTop

EOG Master

I've heard talks of Addison Russell for Manny Machado.

No. I don't get the fascination with Manny Machado. He's talked about as a cornerstone player, yet his offensive numbers have always been good but not great and now he is demanding he gets a shot at SS despite the fact he's probably not going to be a good defensive shortstop. No thanks, low character guy, clubhouse problems.

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cu...on-russell-for-manny-machado-blockbuster-deal

good deal for cubs if they could sign him & losing russell at short hurts baez cannot be your guy on a championship club at short.....awsome fill in though.... put machado in left......get rid of the k machine swarber....happ... and get a SS.

russell at short is a very good defender but not the kid with the california angels dats 4 sure.....plus can the cubs afford manny ( troublemaker) mercado along with what is ahead down the road ? rizzo, bryant, pitching staff ...possible harper?

theo call amazon for new adding machine....with the paper roll.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Baseball historians would be interested in this. A friend of the Yankees' owner back in 1954 bought the Philly A's and then moved the team to Kansas City and sent all of his good players to the Yankees in lopsided deals. Personally I think this tarnishes the entire Yankees legacy as a franchise.

And round 2 is just beginning. :lol
The running joke for years was that the Philly A’s were the Yankees AAA team.

blueline

EOG Master

The Cubs’ pursuit of a top-line starter took President Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer to Dallas on Monday to meet with free agent Yu Darvish, according to multiple reports.Darvish, 31, is considered one of the top two starters on the market, along with Jake Arrieta, and is likely to command one of the biggest deals of the offseason.
The Cubs were interested in Darvish when he came over from Japan in 2012 but were outbid by the Rangers.
Darvish went 10-12 with a 3.86 ERA in 31 starts in 2017with the Rangers and Dodgers but suffered through a dismal World Series in which he went 0-2 with a 21.60 ERA in two starts.
The Cubs are looking at several starting options, including free agent Alex Cobb, who worked with new pitching coach Jim Hickey in Tampa. Arrieta remains a long shot as his price tag may still be too high for the Cubs. There has been little movement in the market for the top free agents, though the Cubs’ trip to see Darvish suggests the pace is picking up.
psullivan@chicagotribune.com
Twitter @PWSullivan

kane

EOG master

If Darvish is smart he'll sign with the Cubs, if he signs with any other team that means he's scared

MrTop

EOG Master

cubs should grab him......much needed starter.. take away good innings from dodgers.

If Darvish is smart he'll sign with the Cubs, if he signs with any other team that means he's scared

LoL that's correct. Nothing to worry about with him either. He was tipping his pitches.

Piss poor excuse. How could any team in mlb be comfortbale putting him on the mound in the playoffs?

kane

EOG master

If Juicin Jake is smart he'll re-sign with the Cubs, if he signs elsewhere, he's just scared

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

LoL that's correct. Nothing to worry about with him either. He was tipping his pitches.

Piss poor excuse. How could any team in mlb be comfortbale putting him on the mound in the playoffs?

I'd rather have Arrieta back than Darvish. I feel pretty comfortable with that assessment.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Those super efficient and sabermetric conscience dodgers just got hit with a 36.2 million luxury tax

:LMAO

I've never been for a salary cap in baseball, usually shitty spending is punished properly by the free market in the years to come, but maybe it's time to change the rules solely for the Dodgers. Time to start stripping teams of any international free agent money if they go over the luxury tax.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Player A: .273/.317/.480/.796

Player B: .259/.310/.471/.782

Orioles want to dangle player B as a one year rental and get back player A? haha. Oh, you.

A: Baez
B: Machado

Britton out for 6 months apparently, there goes a big trade chip to throw in with Machado.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

But you're a Marlins fan, so I can see why you wouldn't understand the difference between player comparisons on the field and player comparisons financially.

kane

EOG master

Javy Baez under team control to 2021 > Machado FA after 2018 season

I'm not talking about who's under team control or not, I'm simply saying Machado is a better player than Baez, I don't think I'm in the minority with my thinking

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I'm not talking about who's under team control or not, I'm simply saying Machado is a better player than Baez, I don't think I'm in the minority with my thinking

I know you're incredibly dumb, but I was referring to a report that the Orioles wanted Baez for Machado. Who is the better player is only half the analysis, so I made sure to add the relevant details to why the Cubs would not even consider that deal.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Giants trade for Evan Longoria

.737 OPS and another year older in that park, I'm sure that'll solve their power outage.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

No idea what some of these teams are thinking.
Phillies offseason makes no sense to me. Get rid of Galvis, and then trade for a 1st baseman and the 1 position where there's a backlog of talent. If moving Hoskins to the OF you've got Tommy Joseph who's the same player as Sanchez, 5 years younger, and $58.5 Million dollars less for the next 3 years.

Valuist

EOG Master

How long a player is under team control cannot be underestimated. Yes, Machado is an elite player, but he can walk after next season. Have to think years under control was the big reason the Cubs went after Quintana.

As for the Giants, its a step but they really need to add power in the outfield. Pence appears to just about be finished now, and Span isn't going to provide much power. Left field is still a ghost town.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Span was traded to Tampa Bay

Ironically, Span outslugged Longoria last year.

When you consider Longoria is getting paid until 2022, this deal is pretty silly for the Giants

Valuist

EOG Master

Span was traded to Tampa Bay

Ironically, Span outslugged Longoria last year.

When you consider Longoria is getting paid until 2022, this deal is pretty silly for the Giants

Longoria may have been outslugged by Span last year, but he had more hits, HRS, and RBIs than Donaldson last year, which cost me what I thought was a gimme bet. I'm sticking to team RSW totals. My player prop bets didn't do great. Kyle Seager beating Cory Seager at -110 odds? Who saw that coming?

I don't know what the Giants are doing. They are in denial, and need a complete rebuild. I don't think they get out of last place next year.

I just saw that. So Tampa was willing to let Longoria go, and is taking back what will likely be a 4th outfielder in return? Had to be all about a salary dump.

Nope...they gave up their top prospect as well.

Makes zero sense.

So many bad deals are made because many GM's are just trying to save their jobs and end up making senseless deals for their franchises to win that single season. Makes much more sense to always make a deal based on long term success unless a team is ready made to make a post season run.

The biggest mistake made on this front is giving pitchers with heavy arm mileage overinflated contracts.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

So many bad deals are made because many GM's are just trying to save their jobs and end up making senseless deals for their franchises to win that single season. Makes much more sense to always make a deal based on long term success unless a team is ready made to make a post season run.

The biggest mistake made on this front is giving pitchers with heavy arm mileage overinflated contracts.

Cubs are still feeling Jim Hendry’s last attempt to save his job, sending Archer out to TB for that clown Garza. And considering not having Archer necessitated the Quintana move, losing Jimenez is in hendry’s hands as well.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Cubs are still feeling Jim Hendry’s last attempt to save his job, sending Archer out to TB for that clown Garza. And considering not having Archer necessitated the Quintana move, losing Jimenez is in hendry’s hands as well.
That could have been ordered from Sam Zell, like the Soriano signing was. Zell was more committed to making the team attractive to sell than winning the correct way.

Valuist

EOG Master

The whole haul was Archer, Brandon Guyer, Robinson Chirinos, and Sam Fuld for an at best 10-12 win 4.00 ERA Garza, and that was a best case scenario. Right now, the Brewers couldn't trade Garza for Chirinos even up.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

The whole haul was Archer, Brandon Guyer, Robinson Chirinos, and Sam Fuld for an at best 10-12 win 4.00 ERA Garza, and that was a best case scenario. Right now, the Brewers couldn't trade Garza for Chirinos even up.

Garza reminded me of Rich Harden, could never stay healthy.