2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove thread

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mlb-free-agency-broken-desperately-needs-fixed-030230690.html

I find myself agreeing with most of this article.

An interesting prop bet:

Will there be an MLB World Series in 2022?

Yes -200
No +160

EDIT: To my knowledge, this is not a prop that is actually posted anywhere.
Is it collusion that teams don’t want to give Bryce Harper a 10-year deal? Most of those teams wisened up and don’t want to be on the hook for huge money long safer the glow is gone. The Cubs couldn’t pay Heyward to leave.

Heim

EOG Master
Gray is not a bad pick up for Reds.....he's reunited with his pitching coach from Vandy. For the Reds sake
they better hope his GB tendencies continue at Great American or it could be a long year.

Gray is not a bad pick up for Reds.....he's reunited with his pitching coach from Vandy. For the Reds sake
they better hope his GB tendencies continue at Great American or it could be a long year.

I'm not sure anything can help Gray except a new arm. A new pitching coach for him at this point is akin to putting an extra quart of oil into a car with 150,000 miles.

kane

EOG master
Hopefully you guys are wrong on Gray, for whatever reason the Reds are really high on him, he was set to become a FA after this season, and from what I heard the Reds wouldn't agree to the deal unless Gray agreed to an extension, which he did, 3 years 30M

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Hard to believe Homer has thrown not one, but two no hitters, it makes you wonder what kind of career he might have had if not for all the injuries.
Yeah. I can see him getting picked up off the scrap heap by a small market team and eat some innings.

Hopefully you guys are wrong on Gray, for whatever reason the Reds are really high on him, he was set to become a FA after this season, and from what I heard the Reds wouldn't agree to the deal unless Gray agreed to an extension, which he did, 3 years 30M

It definitely wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been dead wrong on a player. Ive always been down on signing pitchers who start showing serious wear because it’s usually an irreversible trend. My biggest complaint with trading for or signing veterans in MLB is teams always pay players for their past performance and hardly ever get close to a valued performance. The NFL has been a lot smarter to avoid this trap in my opinion

kane

EOG master
It definitely wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been dead wrong on a player. Ive always been down on signing pitchers who start showing serious wear because it’s usually an irreversible trend. My biggest complaint with trading for or signing veterans in MLB is teams always pay players for their past performance and hardly ever get close to a valued performance. The NFL has been a lot smarter to avoid this trap in my opinion

At least they didn't give him big money, if he doesn't pitch well, you can live with 3/30, but if his career gets resurrected and he's anything close to what he was his first few years in Oakland, then 3/30 looks like a bargain. Also, you have to consider how bad the Reds rotation has been the past several years, and they don't have the type of money to sign a big name FA, so they're taking a chance on Gray, they also signed Tanner Roark, not that he'll contend for the CY, but they're desperately trying to upgrade a rotation that's been among baseball's worst for a while now.

kane

EOG master
This has nothing to do with today, but I just came across something that made me throw up in my mouth a little. In 1995 the Reds were looking to trade SP David Wells, Reds GM Jim Bowden had two offers on the table, one from the Orioles, the other from the Yankees. He decided Baltimore's offer was the better of the two, so Wells was traded to Baltimore for Curtis Goodwin and Trovin Valdez. The deal he turned down from the Yankees was Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada.

This has nothing to do with today, but I just came across something that made me throw up in my mouth a little. In 1995 the Reds were looking to trade SP David Wells, Reds GM Jim Bowden had two offers on the table, one from the Orioles, the other from the Yankees. He decided Baltimore's offer was the better of the two, so Wells was traded to Baltimore for Curtis Goodwin and Trovin Valdez. The deal he turned down from the Yankees was Mariano Rivera and Jorge Posada.

Wow-never knew that-Great find Kane

kane

EOG master
It gets worse Heisey, in the 1992 draft the Reds were considering two players to take with the fifth pick, they guy they took was Chad Mottola, they guy they passed on was Derek Jeter, who the Yankees took at number six

It gets worse Heisey, in the 1992 draft the Reds were considering two players to take with the fifth pick, they guy they took was Chad Mottola, they guy they passed on was Derek Jeter, who the Yankees took at number six

Yep-the Astros had the # 1 pick that year and one of their head scouts was adamant they take Jeter with that pick instead of Phil Nevin. I forgot the scouts name but he was so pissed over the selection he quit his job.

I have to give the Yankees credit for their foresight on Jeter. They were confident enough in his greatness that they gave him a single digit uniform number and we all know how sacred they hold that honor.

kane

EOG master
Dodgers reach a deal with AJ Pollack, and apparently they're trying to get JT Realmuto from the Marlins, the names I heard going back to Miami include Joc Pederson and a catching prospect named Keibert Ruiz, It makes sense since the Marlins are looking for a left handed bat, and obviously they would need to replace Realmuto at some point

Dodgers reach a deal with AJ Pollack, and apparently they're trying to get JT Realmuto from the Marlins, the names I heard going back to Miami include Joc Pederson and a catching prospect named Keibert Ruiz, It makes sense since the Marlins are looking for a left handed bat, and obviously they would need to replace Realmuto at some point

I’ve heard those rumors as well. I think they should hold out for a deal with the Astros instead which have some pretty nice prospects to offer.

Valuist

EOG Master

Bowden has a mighty high opinion of himself. Funny how he managed to keep this quiet.