2021 Baseball Picks, Fades, Info, Group Discussion

"A’s win 12th straight, the third-longest streak in Oakland franchise history

Oakland Athletics vs Baltimore Orioles: A's win 12 straight behind Cole Irvin gem, Ramón Laureano homer

...The 1988 A’s won 14 straight and, of course, the 2002 A’s broke an American League record with 20 straight. The Houston Astros are the last Major League Baseball team to win more than 11 straight, a streak during a hot June 2018 stretch.

https://www.marinij.com/2021/04/23/...-longest-streak-in-oakland-franchise-history/

MINNESOTA -1½ -105 over Pittsburgh

The Pittsburgh Pirates, projected to lose more than 100 games by just about every publication before the season, currently stand at 9-11. After a 1-6 start, they’ve now won series over the Cubs, and Brewers, and the Tigers, and split a four gamer with the Padres. And they’ve done it without their most promising player, Ke’Bryan Hayes, who just had a setback recovering from a wrist injury suffered in the season’s first week.

This isn’t one of those feel-good snapshots, don’t worry; the Pirates still sport the fourth-worst run differential (-18) in all of baseball. If anything, the flaws in the team’s roster proved even more ruinous than the computers could predict. Starting shortstop Kevin Newman has an OBP higher than his SLG, and said OBP is .215. The entire team’s production from center field prior to last night, when Bryan Reynolds moved over to fill in, was a typo-like .086/.197/.103. Right fielder Gregory Polanco is posting a .592 OPS, which actually qualifies as a bounceback given how bad things were last year. It’s those usual fun April mirages that have kept the team afloat, like Adam Frazier (139 OPS+, 123 DRC+), Colin Moran (156 OPS+, 92 DRC+) and JT Brubaker (45 ERA-, 66 DRA- … okay, Brubaker might actually be pretty promising).

Pittsburgh’s 9-11 record is more of a statement about 9-11 records in modern baseball. Glance through the team leaderboards and you’ll quickly discover that the Pirates look pretty average. On offense their walk, strikeout, and contact rates put them right around the middle; their fielding is generally fine, and their net offensive output by simple measures like OPS are, again, adequate. Similarly, again just looking at results rather than process, their bullpen has come in slightly above the middle by both ERA and xERA. The rotation is a shit-show, of course, but it’s hard to be average about everything.

Except they aren’t really average, even if they look average, in the standings or in the leaderboards. This is the modern game, where 10 teams are acting like there’s a super league and twenty are just relieved there’s no relegation. The lack of balance is pulling the mean away from the median, and the Pirates are here, helpfully, to draw attention to that fact. Three teams in the National League are above .500. Half the divisions in baseball have a lone team with a positive run differential; none of those teams are in first.

Yes, the preseason favorites for each AL division are currently in their respective basements. And yes, it’s only a 10th of the season. But what we’re seeing right now is a league with a bunch of superteams that haven’t, at least in terms of results, looked all that super. (And the Dodgers.) And in the vacuum created by that underperformance, instead of unexpected ascendance, you have the Pirates and the Mariners and just generalized chaos. Which is fine, but we all know a correction is coming and right now Pittsburgh has a better record than Minnesota. That cannot be and thus, it’s time to get in on the correction.

https://www.sportswagers.ca/mlb/picks.php?pid=25222

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
sides 5-2 +2.9 for .5 units play minn +185 using a different method that is doing well,but not a big enough sample to risk 1 unit yet.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Where in the hell did you find Minnesota +185? This must be a 2 1/2 run line?
Obvious mistake, have to get up early in vegas to work on baseball, when I make a mistake its always on the side. I'm focused with the price and wrote down the wrong side. Played it at westgate, they moved the line to +180 when everyone moved the line higher toward minn. I will never play and alt or lay runs in baseball so if it happens again look at the price not team to be the right play. Sorry. For grading purposes since the line doesn't match the team,no play.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Very nice call in that case. Since both Pitt and Minn -2.5 were around the same price I just wasn't sure what you meant.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Very nice call in that case. Since both Pitt and Minn -2.5 were around the same price I just wasn't sure what you meant.
Thats the one thing I don't like being out in Vegas(just moved almost 2 years ago) used to 1200 nfl vs 10 which means have to get up very early. Reason for no runlines or alt is higher juice.

Last edited:

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Buy tickets for Utah Jazz at Minnesota Timberwolves (Reduced Capacity, Social Distancing) at Target Center in Minneapolis, MN on Apr 26, 2021 at 7:00PM local time. All Minnesota Timberwolves tickets and schedule are available at TicketCity. Only 10 tickets left for this Apr 26 event.

After 4 games on the road, twolves will play their first homegame since the trial. They dedicated their road win vs sac by giving their game ball to the Floyd family. With the Floyd family more than likely in attendance, Donavan Mitchell still out, and Minn in a bad spot on Tues playing a back to back on the road, they should go all out. No D Rusell on Tues so allout Mon

TEX + 175

For the second time this week I can’t pass up the nice plus money price on Arihara. He’s only given up 2 er’s all year. Kopech has great raw stuff but still working On his pitchability. Arihara is deceptive and probably taking advantage of first time looks through the leagus

I had CWS priced at - 140 so taking advantage of 50 cents perceived value

Valuist

EOG Master
TEX + 175

For the second time this week I can’t pass up the nice plus money price on Arihara. He’s only given up 2 er’s all year. Kopech has great raw stuff but still working On his pitchability. Arihara is deceptive and probably taking advantage of first time looks through the leagus

I had CWS priced at - 140 so taking advantage of 50 cents perceived value

I like this play. I tweaked it a bit myself, taking Texas +165 F5. The Sox' bullpen is clearly superior so lets make it about the starters. And like you said, we don't know how far Kopech will go. He could basically be an opener. The White Sox lineup is deadly vs left handers and is very aggressive and wants to face fastballs. Arihara throws about 7 different pitches and they haven't seen him yet so this is NOT an ideal matchup for the Chisox. Chilly conditions and a cross wind that will hurt fly balls to LF should really work to the advantage of a pitch to contact guy with good control, like Arihara, and could hinder a guy who wants to strike everyone in the world out, but has had some issues with walks in his past (Kopech).

Valuist

EOG Master
Am I the only one tempted to take Baltimore F5 today? Yes, I'm aware of the Oakland streak but that streak isn't about F5. I like what I've seen from Means this year. Great tailing action away from RH hitters. I think the A's hitters will have their hands full, at least as long as Means is in the game.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Am I the only one tempted to take Baltimore F5 today? Yes, I'm aware of the Oakland streak but that streak isn't about F5. I like what I've seen from Means this year. Great tailing action away from RH hitters. I think the A's hitters will have their hands full, at least as long as Means is in the game.

No I played Balt +125....Means has been great and streaks tend to end Sundays. 1st 5 seems like a better play now that u mention it

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
So are we just parlaying Cubs and over vs. finesse pitchers and opponent and under vs. power/strikeout pitchers from now on?

Sheesh.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Please explain to me how Utah is 10 on the road,after 12' at home. This is Minn first home game since the Floyd verdict,and with them playing a game tomorrow on the road will go all out To factor in this much for Utah losing at home with a quick tournaround is suprising. I made the line 6' at most, no Donavan Mitchell for Utah.

Valuist

EOG Master
Please explain to me how Utah is 10 on the road,after 12' at home. This is Minn first home game since the Floyd verdict,and with them playing a game tomorrow on the road will go all out To factor in this much for Utah losing at home with a quick tournaround is suprising. I made the line 6' at most, no Donavan Mitchell for Utah.

Wrong thread but what were you anticipating the line? Can't imagine there will be much if any home court advantage for that shitty T-Wolves team. Hard to imagine that rag tag bunch rallying from any event.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
As explained
Wrong thread but what were you anticipating the line? Can't imagine there will be much if any home court advantage for that shitty T-Wolves team. Hard to imagine that rag tag bunch rallying from any event.
As mentioned earlier in this thread as stated, I know its a baseball thread but think the T wolves should be a great value bet the rest of the season. Due to covid and injuries their 3 best players,edwards,towns and russell have only played together 13 times this season going 7-6 vs the 10-38 without. Since getting Russell back last week they are 2-1 su 3-0 ats including beating Utah in salt lake. In that game they were a 12' pt dog, so there is only a 2' pt difference playing at home. Generally bad teams don't perform well even in the best of situations, but with their team finally back to full strength I don't see them as a bad team. Tommorrow their in a bad spot going back to the road, without Russell not wanting him to play back to back since he just came back from injury. Think they go all out.

Valuist

EOG Master
As explained
As mentioned earlier in this thread as stated, I know its a baseball thread but think the T wolves should be a great value bet the rest of the season. Due to covid and injuries their 3 best players,edwards,towns and russell have only played together 13 times this season going 7-6 vs the 10-38 without. Since getting Russell back last week they are 2-1 su 3-0 ats including beating Utah in salt lake. In that game they were a 12' pt dog, so there is only a 2' pt difference playing at home. Generally bad teams don't perform well even in the best of situations, but with their team finally back to full strength I don't see them as a bad team. Tommorrow their in a bad spot going back to the road, without Russell not wanting him to play back to back since he just came back from injury. Think they go all out.

Best of luck I have no play on that game. TBH, since the bubble last year, NBA has been bad for me. But I have a hard time imagining much of a defensive effort from Minnesota.

I like your side, but I get the line being here. Bettors will think the Jazz want quick revenge for the embarrassing home loss, that's like an auto reflex adjustment to the line. Howver I think you are right about the Wolves being a good value to run out the season with so many young guys and a lot of players looking for a job next year. Also I think a lot of top teams are playing like they really don't give a damn at the moment in terms of seeding. I read a lot of people here talking about motivation for seeding and home court, but I don't see it too often. Lots of teams are holding guys out in obvious ways, like the Sixers deciding they were going to basically forfeit the game to the Bucks a few days ago by sitting stars. Teams really don't care about the regular season so laying double digits even as we wind down the season should be buyer beware.