2021 Baseball Picks, Fades, Info, Group Discussion

Valuist

EOG Master
The league is batting .232, 12% of SP's pitch into the 7th, but the games are 3:08 now. Something has to chance, shortening the games to 7 innings isn't the solution.

Strikeouts, walks, foul balls, and the occasional HR. Analytics are destroying the game with the obsession for 3 outcomes. A monkey can be taught to get walks. A monkey can't learn to hit to the opposite field. Maddux never threw 99, but would he get much of a look today (I realize he threw harder when he came up with the Cubs, but you get my point). The obsession with exit velocity. I would bet Rod Carew was never in the top 5 in exit velo, yet one of the great hitters in my lifetime.

MrTop

EOG Master
If they move the mound back it would provide more hits. The question is what type of hits will come ? They will try it out in the minors for a year first.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Strikeouts, walks, foul balls, and the occasional HR. Analytics are destroying the game with the obsession for 3 outcomes. A monkey can be taught to get walks. A monkey can't learn to hit to the opposite field. Maddux never threw 99, but would he get much of a look today (I realize he threw harder when he came up with the Cubs, but you get my point). The obsession with exit velocity. I would bet Rod Carew was never in the top 5 in exit velo, yet one of the great hitters in my lifetime.

What about when the shift is on
drop some bunts
Guess what
Shift goes away

What about when the shift is on
drop some bunts
Guess what
Shift goes away
True but if a team gets a slugger to settle for a bunt single they consider that a win

Anytime a team is able to get into a batters head and eliminate what they do best it’s a victory to them regardless of outcome

Valuist

EOG Master
True but if a team gets a slugger to settle for a bunt single they consider that a win

Anytime a team is able to get into a batters head and eliminate what they do best it’s a victory to them regardless of outcome

These guys need to learn to hit. Not play softball on steroids. Great hitters use the whole field.

Valuist

EOG Master
If you all were MLB position players and could choose to be one of the 2 players below, which would you choose?

Player A: 42 home runs 105 RBI .237 BA 24 doubles 0 triples 1 stolen base 84 runs .525 slugging pct
Player B: 23 home runs 90 RBI .315 BA 32 doubles 6 triples 15 stolen bases 112 runs .502 SP

I would rather be Player B.

This environment screams out opportunities for teams that stop thinking like the others. The A's surely will be part of a new way of thinking, whether that's ways to beat the shift or different ways to approach the game. If every team is trying to chase down the same types of players generating the same outcomes, surely there is talent out there that can be picked up cheaply that can beat this boring version that exists today. As far as the umps go, calling balls and strikes is clearly about to be out. AI can do it so much better and umps can spend the game focused on other things.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

The problem is the big shot players take a bunt sign from the skipper as a sign of disrespect. Its a team sport and players should be willing to do anything in order to win. Wish I could manage!

Valuist

EOG Master
This environment screams out opportunities for teams that stop thinking like the others. The A's surely will be part of a new way of thinking, whether that's ways to beat the shift or different ways to approach the game. If every team is trying to chase down the same types of players generating the same outcomes, surely there is talent out there that can be picked up cheaply that can beat this boring version that exists today. As far as the umps go, calling balls and strikes is clearly about to be out. AI can do it so much better and umps can spend the game focused on other things.

This is true. What made the Moneyball era A's so good was hardly anyone else was using analytics. The administration of sports teams seems pretty pathetic. In the NFL, when one thing works, numerous copy cats jump in. We've also seen it in MLB and the NBA. Take every single shot a 3 pointer. Swing for your heels every pitch but make sure you get over 3.0 walks per game.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
record sides 7.5-2 +6.18 totals 8-6 +1.42 playing sd-145 half play played for .85 of the half unit. and ny mets half play -245 played for 145/2 = 72.5 +1=1.725/245=.7 of the half play unit. So for record keeping will add the 2 half unit plays to the wl record and either add or subtract .43 and .35 respectively. This simple formula allows you risk less when these big fav lose. Yes you don't win as much but your still playing an amount close to the real price.

Not my idea..it was Theo's ..most of the players are the batters... they would like it. Did you think the other silly rules would pass in the last 2 years ?
With the deep pens teams are carrying these days more than half of team rosters are pitchers

MrTop

EOG Master
With the deep pens teams are carrying these days more than half of team rosters are pitchers

yes you are right... but if the commish wants it to add more hits i think it will make it. Everyday players have lost a lot to pitchers and shift. everyday Players just are horrible hitters overall

ouch

EOG Dedicated
This is true. What made the Moneyball era A's so good was hardly anyone else was using analytics. The administration of sports teams seems pretty pathetic. In the NFL, when one thing works, numerous copy cats jump in. We've also seen it in MLB and the NBA. Take every single shot a 3 pointer. Swing for your heels every pitch but make sure you get over 3.0 walks per game.

What made the Moneyball era A's so good was great pitching.....Hudson, Zito, Mulder, and Billy Koch out of the bullpen. While the movie was great entertainment, it didn't even mention that. That's just a little disingenuous to put it mildly.

Yeah, Scott Hatteberg and David Justice got on base a lot, but you don't need analytics to prove that if you make the opposing pitcher throw a lot of pitches, you'll do better in the long run. The Yankees of the late 1990's built a dynasty on that principle (and oh yeah, great starting pitching like the A's had).

What made the Moneyball era A's so good was great pitching.....Hudson, Zito, Mulder, and Billy Koch out of the bullpen. While the movie was great entertainment, it didn't even mention that. That's just a little disingenuous to put it mildly.

Yeah, Scott Hatteberg and David Justice got on base a lot, but you don't need analytics to prove that if you make the opposing pitcher throw a lot of pitches, you'll do better in the long run. The Yankees of the late 1990's built a dynasty on that principle (and oh yeah, great starting pitching like the A's had).
The book moneyball devotes two chapters to the draft and Beanes overhaul of scouting talent and his draft process. Beane started putting an emphasis on College pitchers and those 3 SP’s were considered reaches at the time of the draft. Beane traded for Koch from Toronto for pennies on the dollar

MrTop

EOG Master
Cubs pitcher Alzolay.. pitched 3 times this year against the same team & pitcher ( brewers ) & pitcher Peralta ....cubs lost all 3 times... we are not even out of april

Re yesterday's Milwaukee 2-1 over the LAD:

"Eric Lauer is pitching for Milwaukee tonight, his first start of the year. Lauer is 14-19, 4.75 in 57 career games (54 starts), but he is 5-0, 2.11 in seven starts against the Dodgers, which makes no sense."