2021 MLB thread

Valuist

EOG Master
Seattle is well within the wildcard hunt. On Monday, they stage an epic 8 run comeback against the division leading Astros. Great win, right? The next day, their GM elects to trade (arguably), their best reliever to that same Houston team. Want a point that marked the end? It likely was it. A terrible message to send your team...and why trade to the team leading your division? And Graveman isn't making much money. No need to dump a small salary. Isn't the idea to get good production at a low cost? DiPoto must have rocks in his head.

Last edited:

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
I wanted to fade Bumgarner in his next start but Texas the worst bats in baseball vs Lefties over the past month

Madbum not even hitting 90 last cple starts

Valuist

EOG Master
Tyler Anderson was thought to be traded from the Pirates to Philly but that fell thru. Now he's traded to Seattle. Pending medical.

Seattle is well within the wildcard hunt. On Monday, they stage an epic 8 run comeback against the division leading Astros. Great win, right? The next day, their GM elects to trade (arguably), their best reliever to that same Houston team. Want a point that marked the end? It likely was it. A terrible message to send your team...and why trade to the team leading your division? And Graveman isn't making much money. No need to dump a small salary. Isn't the idea to get good production at a low cost? DiPoto must have rocks in his head.
I kind of agree with the move though. A -51 run differential tells you this team isn't a real contender. The team in front of them, the A's, feels like a real contender and may pick up some assets. Its been a nice run in the summer but could easily start losing the close games and the corresponding losing streak will put them behind the Yankees and Jays too. They are getting close to contending, but need a little more time to get some guys up from the minors to see what they have before adding more in free agency. Could very well be in a better spot 2 years from now by making the right moves now.

Valuist

EOG Master
I kind of agree with the move though. A -51 run differential tells you this team isn't a real contender. The team in front of them, the A's, feels like a real contender and may pick up some assets. Its been a nice run in the summer but could easily start losing the close games and the corresponding losing streak will put them behind the Yankees and Jays too. They are getting close to contending, but need a little more time to get some guys up from the minors to see what they have before adding more in free agency. Could very well be in a better spot 2 years from now by making the right moves now.

But it wasn't like they got any big prospect in return. A 37 year old journeyman reliever in Joe Smith, and a lifetime .196 BA/ .642 OPS 3B. As long as you have a low salary guy like Graveman producing, why rock the boat? I can't help but wonder if there was some other issue we aren't aware of. Deal makes no sense, IMO.

Valuist

EOG Master
Not confirmed but Marte to Oakland for Luzardo.

Cessa and Wilson from Yanks to the Reds for a player to be named later.

Valuist

EOG Master
Interesting experiment today in KC. It's going to be 95 degrees, 55% humidity which translates to a brutal dew point of 76. About as miserable as it gets. The starter on KC appears to be a bum, but at 6'4" 175 lbs he may handle the intense heat better than the 250 lb Rodon. Rodon has been great all year, but did see a couple MPH drop in his last start.

kane

EOG master
No Rizzo or Bryant in today's SL, seems likely they both get dealt, can't be a coincidence

Heim

EOG Master
Dealing a '9' in Anaheim with Rendon, Trout and Walsh out is interesting. Sure Bundy hasn't been stellar but Halos offense is beyond anemic right now.

Tomorrow's 8.5 more representative.

Valuist

EOG Master
I see St Louis w/LeBlanc has taken some money vs the Twins. I can only imagine that is due to the fact Berrios may get traded before the game starts. LeBlanc and that horrific St Louis bullpen is gasoline for any fire.

Valuist

EOG Master
Interesting experiment today in KC. It's going to be 95 degrees, 55% humidity which translates to a brutal dew point of 76. About as miserable as it gets. The starter on KC appears to be a bum, but at 6'4" 175 lbs he may handle the intense heat better than the 250 lb Rodon. Rodon has been great all year, but did see a couple MPH drop in his last start.

Not shockingly, Rodon didn't handle the heat and humidity well. And now that's two starts with a drop in velocity from earlier. Rodon had been tremendous up until his last 2 starts. Dead arm?

Valuist

EOG Master
Cubs are barely able to field a roster for tonight's game:

outfield: Happ, Heyward, Ortega
infield: Wisdom, Duffy, Bote, Alcantara

no wiggle room for injuries.

And the bullpen down 3 relievers from a week ago, not to mention tonight's starting pitcher traded.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cubs are barely able to field a roster for tonight's game:

outfield: Happ, Heyward, Ortega
infield: Wisdom, Duffy, Bote, Alcantara

no wiggle room for injuries.

And the bullpen down 3 relievers from a week ago, not to mention tonight's starting pitcher traded.
And Wash just traded Lester. Ought to be some game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not shockingly, Rodon didn't handle the heat and humidity well. And now that's two starts with a drop in velocity from earlier. Rodon had been tremendous up until his last 2 starts. Dead arm?

Lance Lynn has been shaky his last couple of starts, too.

Hmmm...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The White Sox starting pitching has been solid over the first four months of the season.

I wonder if the new pitching coach (Ethan Katz) has some secret key to the staff's sudden success.

Old pitching coach Don Cooper was with the team for 18 seasons before getting the boot after last year's disappointing playoff series against the A's.

MrTop

EOG Master
ZenSports has secured more than $3.8 million in funding in the last year to help with the development of its peer-to-peer sports betting app. The company has agreements in place to operate in Nevada and Colorado through access agreements. In addition, it has filed for licenses in Tennessee and Virginia.

Heim

EOG Master
I guess the Halos finally got the hint that pitching matters

All 20 picks in the draft were pitchers, and every minor league player
they received in trades yesterday was a pitcher.

kane

EOG master
I guess the Halos finally got the hint that pitching matters

All 20 picks in the draft were pitchers, and every minor league player
they received in trades yesterday was a pitcher.
The Angels and Marlins were close on a deal that would have sent top pitching prospect Max Meyer (the 3rd pick in last years draft) to Anaheim in exchange for Brandon Marsh, but the Angels backed away from the deal, looked like a good trade for both teams. The Marlins are the opposite of the Angels, they have a lot of good young arms but no hitting, in the offseason it's expected they trade some of their pitching for offense, the two teams might engage in trade talks during the offseason

Heim

EOG Master
After Heaney, every top prospect from MIA worries me. With that said. Marsh has been very underwhelming.

kane

EOG master
After Heaney, every top prospect from MIA worries me. With that said. Marsh has been very underwhelming.
So you're judging all of Miami's pitching prospects based off one guy who never developed? Not to mention Heaney was drafted by the previous regime

4-0, 2-0, 1-0. The LAA & A's are really pathetic on offense. How much do you want to bet they go under again tomorrow.

Valuist

EOG Master
How's this for a prop? Alex Wood under 2 runs/hits/rbis only juiced to -125. Prop is up at Heritage.

Not surprisingly, got a message from Heritage that the wager was refunded and all hitting props on Alex Wood were cancelled as the prop was posted in error, and they do not offer hitting props for pitchers.

Really? I know I've seen hitting props for Ohtani on days he pitched.

And what if Wood somehow would've gone over 2 runs/hits/rbis? Would Heritage have refunded all losing under wagers? Or would they just freeroll everyone?

Not surprisingly, got a message from Heritage that the wager was refunded and all hitting props on Alex Wood were cancelled as the prop was posted in error, and they do not offer hitting props for pitchers.

Really? I know I've seen hitting props for Ohtani on days he pitched.

And what if Wood somehow would've gone over 2 runs/hits/rbis? Would Heritage have refunded all losing under wagers? Or would they just freeroll everyone?

Bet a little on the other side to keep them honest?