2021 MLB thread

Valuist

EOG Master
St Louis win streak at 14 games. How much longer can it go? The problem with an extended win streak in MLB is it wears on the strong part of your bullpen. The Indians won over 20 games in a row in Sept of 2017 and were knocked out of the playoffs in the opening round. Over the top, as racing handicappers would say. Gallegos has been one of the reasons for the big turnaround as the Cards bullpen was one of the worst in MLB in the first half of the season. Gallegos has pitched the L2 days and 5 of the last 7. Quite a few high profile relievers have pitched each of the last 2 days: Gallegos, Seewald (Sea), Joe Smith (Sea), Kenley Jansen and Treinen of the Dodgers, Melancon of SD, Hendricks, Kimbrel and Bummer of the White Sox and Cessa and Garrett of the Reds, I thought the over 139 1/2 salami was worth a play, with a number of taxed bullpens.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
St Louis win streak at 14 games. How much longer can it go? The problem with an extended win streak in MLB is it wears on the strong part of your bullpen. The Indians won over 20 games in a row in Sept of 2017 and were knocked out of the playoffs in the opening round. Over the top, as racing handicappers would say. Gallegos has been one of the reasons for the big turnaround as the Cards bullpen was one of the worst in MLB in the first half of the season. Gallegos has pitched the L2 days and 5 of the last 7. Quite a few high profile relievers have pitched each of the last 2 days: Gallegos, Seewald (Sea), Joe Smith (Sea), Kenley Jansen and Treinen of the Dodgers, Melancon of SD, Hendricks, Kimbrel and Bummer of the White Sox and Cessa and Garrett of the Reds, I thought the over 139 1/2 salami was worth a play, with a number of taxed bullpens.
Boy is Zach Davies bad. Too bad he only has one more start.

Valuist

EOG Master
Boy is Zach Davies bad. Too bad he only has one more start.

I'm shocked he has had as much success in his career as he has. One of the better career road ERAs in MLB.

FW, on a different topic, do teams playing Western Mich fly into Kalamazoo? Grand Rapids? Or do they have to fly into O'Hare or Midway and bus it? San Jose St is in the mother of all travel weeks. Fly from San Jose to Hawaii, play in 85 degree heat and humidity, fly back to San Jose (3 time zones) and now head 3 time zones east. I know WMU off the big upset, but this is a terrible setup for SJSU.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

How about LaD vs Cards one game
Max v Wainwright

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I'm shocked he has had as much success in his career as he has. One of the better career road ERAs in MLB.

FW, on a different topic, do teams playing Western Mich fly into Kalamazoo? Grand Rapids? Or do they have to fly into O'Hare or Midway and bus it? San Jose St is in the mother of all travel weeks. Fly from San Jose to Hawaii, play in 85 degree heat and humidity, fly back to San Jose (3 time zones) and now head 3 time zones east. I know WMU off the big upset, but this is a terrible setup for SJSU.
They can fly into K-Zoo, they have a big avaition school. They may fly into Chicago or Detroit, first.

I did play WM -2.5.

kane

EOG master
Does anyone know if there has been a manager fired yet this season? I can't recall anyone getting fired

kane

EOG master
wow .. nice call.. i don't think either.. and has this ever happened if not?
The reason I ask is, I played a future on who would be the first manager fired, if no one gets fired, I assume it goes as a no bet

kane

EOG master
I think after the season the guy in SD gets canned, someone needs to be the scapegoat for their disappointing season

Valuist

EOG Master
Awards time:

AL MVP: 1. Ohtani 2. Vlad Jr. Nobody else can really be considered
NL MVP- too early to call. Nominees are Tatis, Harper, Soto and even throwing Brendan Crawford into the mix.
AL Cy Young: 1. Robbie Ray 2. Cole
NL Cy Young: 1. Scherzer 2. Buehler- but its close
AL RoY: haven't really looked but some rookies from 2020 are still eligible, so Arozarena could win. Dalbeck late surge puts him in mix
NL RoY: 1. India 2. T Rogers 3. Schwindel 4. Wisdom

Last edited:
The last few games of the Cards streak great for tailing bettors, but really at this point kind of a waste. Time to rest starters, get the rotation and pen set up, and lose a few games to get past the post streak slump.

Valuist

EOG Master
The last few games of the Cards streak great for tailing bettors, but really at this point kind of a waste. Time to rest starters, get the rotation and pen set up, and lose a few games to get past the post streak slump.

And this streak may well end up being their undoing in the playoffs. The bullpen turnaround from the first half has been impressive, but I could see them wearing down.

kane

EOG master
Awards time:

AL MVP: 1. Ohtani 2. Vlad Jr. Nobody else can really be considered
NL MVP- too early to call. Nominees are Tatis, Harper, Soto and even throwing Brendan Crawford into the mix.
AL Cy Young: 1. Robbie Ray 2. Cole
NL Cy Young: 1. Scherzer 2. Buehler- but its close
AL RoY: haven't really looked but some rookies from 2020 are still eligible, so Arozarena could win. Dalbeck late surge puts him in mix
NL RoY: 1. India 2. T Rogers 3. Schwindel 4. Wisdom
I think Ohtani wins it, Vlad second and Sal Perez third

I think Harper wins it, the way the Padres have collapsed has to hurt Tatis, meanwhile Harper has been carrying the Phils the past two months. Personally I think Soto is the best player in the NL, I have a future on him to win the award, but it's gonna go to a player who's team makes the playoffs, I think

I agree with Ray

I think it's Scherzer, guys like Buehler, Urias, Gausman, and Burnes fill out the rest

Arozarena, maybe Mountcastle of the Orioles

My man India has to win the Award in the NL, if Rogers of the Marlins didn't get hurt he might have had a shot

Valuist

EOG Master
The streak is up to 16 games. I rode them vs the Padres and Brewers, and the first game in Wrigley when a resurgent Happ pitched. I've sat out their last 3. I think the streak comes to an end today. Let's take a look at what the Cardinals have done since last Thurday:

Sept 26- trail 2-1 after 7 innings only to come back and win vs Cubs
Sept 25- trail 4-2 after 6 innings only to come back
Sept 24- won both ends of DH in wire to wire fashion
Sept 23- trail Milwaukee 5-1 after 6 innings only to come back and win.

That's a lot of energy to expend. Why today? Why vs a team they just swept in Milw? We already talked about the heavy toll on the Cardinal pen the last 2 weeks. And one can't keep spotting an opponent leads late in the game. Vs Milwaukee, while they did face Woodruff and Freddy Peralta, they missed Burnes. So they faced Brett Anderson and Houser. The Brewers had wrapped up the Central and were just idling. I think they are starting to refocus and probably didn't like the fact the Cardinals swept them in Milwaukee.

Then there's the Wainwright factor. He was on a tremedous run from July 21, going 10-1. But there's signs he's over the top. The Brewers roughed him up last Thurdsay (4 innings 5 earned runs 1 strikeout game score of 25). Now 5 straight starts of 4 or less strikeouts. He just topped the 200 inning mark for the first time since 2014 and he turned 40 about a month ago.

I will step in front of the train and take the Brewers.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Player prop I bet today

Kyle Tucker hits under 0.5 +180, DK

Has slumped badly in last week or so. But still takes pitches and will take a walk.

Wacha absolutely dominant vs lefties in last 4 starts. 2-27 with 33% K rate.

Small sample sizes for both but I like to go with recent form and getting close to +200 for these no hit props, especially guys that are not free swngers

Valuist

EOG Master
Player prop I bet today

Has slumped badly in last week or so. But still takes pitches and will take a walk.

Small sample sizes for both but I like to go with recent form and getting close to +200 for these no hit props, especially guys that are not free swngers

Are you on Tampa with the underdog price? Any decent outing by Wacha and you have a chance as that pen is so deep.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Are you on Tampa with the underdog price? Any decent outing by Wacha and you have a chance as that pen is so deep.
I'm not, but agree looks like a decent play. Astros rake righties at home. Curious to see Rays lineup. Urquidity reverse splits.

I could see the Rays and Astros both holding back in this series. The media loves to tout potential playoff preview, but the teams and their managers would rather preview absolutely nothing. Since both teams are pretty good pitching and defensive-oriented teams, that makes me lean to the overs because batters if they get to the plate aren't holding back, but the pitchers might.

Valuist

EOG Master
Take a look at Walker Bhueler and his September #'s. He's hit the wall again. Yu Darvish looks inviting.

It is interesting. Buehler in Sept: 20 innings, 16 earned runs. Two very poor starts; one vs the Giants but in his last start, he was at Coors. IMO, any poor start at Coors is a legitimate excuse. Were you looking at F5? I would want no part of the Padres bullpen right now.

I'm down in baseball this year but I took Over 7.5 In that game. If neither Darvish or Buehler blowup you always have the Pads bullpen to help out. .

MrTop

EOG Master
is Otani first in any category ?

Vlad is 1st in many... i would not rule him out if the BJ get in the playoffs

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Player prop I bet today

That didn't work out he got one vs bullpen

kane

EOG master
After the Brewers clinched the division, reliever Devin Williams decided to celebrate by getting drunk and punching a wall, the moron is now out for the playoffs with a fractured hand

MrTop

EOG Master
I took a long shot on the mariners to win the W.S.

this team cannot win the W.S but I think in the next few days we will see if they make the W.C.

I like their chances now to make the W.C.

i took this early september ...a crazy bet to hedge