Accelerate versus Justify

Heim

EOG Master
I really thought a Triple Crown feat more than wrapped up Horse of the Year. However Accelerate, if he wins out, might be more deserving.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Has a Triple Crown winner ever lost a Horse-of-the-Year award?

In 1935, a four-year-old named Discovery was retrospectively named Horse of the Year despite Omaha winning the Triple Crown win in the spring of 1935.

Valuist

EOG Master
Justify has it wrapped up. Not that Accelerate won't run much bigger figs. But a TC pretty much ensures it.

I was shocked Unbridled lost HoY in 1990 to some entity named Criminal Type despite winning the KY Derby and BC Classic that year (along with the Florida Derby and seconds in the Preakness and on the grass in the Secretariat). THAT was criminal. And East Coast bias.

Heim

EOG Master
Valuist;n7452872 said:
Justify has it wrapped up. Not that Accelerate won't run much bigger figs. But a TC pretty much ensures it.

I was shocked Unbridled lost HoY in 1990 to some entity named Criminal Type despite winning the KY Derby and BC Classic that year (along with the Florida Derby and seconds in the Preakness and on the grass in the Secretariat). THAT was criminal. And East Coast bias.

It will be interesting if Accelerate wins two more Grade 1's giving him 5 for the year including the Classic. I wonder if the writers downgrade Justify for a sudden retirement that had nothing to do with health?

Valuist

EOG Master
Heim;n7452899 said:
It will be interesting if Accelerate wins two more Grade 1's giving him 5 for the year including the Classic. I wonder if the writers downgrade Justify for a sudden retirement that had nothing to do with health?

I just can't see it happening. The crop of older horses is weak; he isn't beating any Arrogates or Gun Runners.