AEW vs WWE - The Wrestling Wars 2 Months In

TheOddsGuy

Administrator
All Elite Wrestling has been airing their Wednesday night show for a little less than 2 months and this past weekend saw them conclude their FULL GEAR PPV.

The sport books present odds for the established WWE's big PPV events but I saw no signs of odds for FULL GEAR. If anyone caught odds out there please let me know. It will be a good sign AEW is growin if the books start to put the odds up. Don't get too excited, like WWE they will be capped at $50 or $100.

As far as AEW vs WWE, the Wednesday night TV programming has seen AEW's DYNAMITE show airing on TnT while the WWE has there NxT brand on the USA network. Head to head, AEW's show has drawn more viewers than WWE every week, though both companies have seen the ratings slowly trend downward.

The FULL GEAR pay-per-view line-up featured fights in all. Did you watch the PPV? Overall give the show a rating and remember, it is the company's first PPV with television backing so talk about the story lines and in-ring work equally. Comments welcome below.

aew-fullgear.jpg

Last edited:

TheOddsGuy

Administrator
Overall FULL GEAR grade - B / B+

It was a solid PPV overall and it will be interesting to see what the company does in terms a PPV buys. That weekend there was no high leel boxing and th UFC was in Moscow running at odd hours, so they had little competition on the schedule.

The main match saw Cody Rhodes facing Chris Jericho for the AEW title. Cody was betrayed in the end when his "friend" Maxwell Jacob Freidman threw in the towel and then assualted him.

Obviously this was bound to happen, and MJF is getting rave reviews as a heel so his relationship with Cody was tailor made for a "betrayal." It is the 21st century and MJF is always described as "fast rising" but this felt a little rushed.

Cody is everywhere on the AEW shows and a lot of the hype was MJF talking about Cody and Cody dedicating very little timme to talking about MJF.

I felt strongly Cody would not win the belt over Jericho. Part of his father's appeal was that he was denied the belt and long title reigns and never became a Flair or Cena type with the 197 title reigns. Cody understands this so leavingthe belt with Jericho for awhile longer right now makes sense. Jericho by the way is still awesome, but he is starting to look worn around the edges so he doesnt have 8 years left or anything like that.

It would have been my choice to have Cody and MJF tag team after Cody's loss. A run of a year fighting together, maybe even a brief title run. Against Jeriho, MJF actually being helpful would have been a huge surprise. I would have kept that going for 9-12 months and then do the betrayal after a tag teamm run.

Another rush job came up in the Britt Baker v Bea Priestly match. Wrestling's most dangerous finishers are something tha canbe do dramatic. Witt this lockjaw, the tap and the reef stoppage are coming almost before the submission is applied. They could sell this submission much more, make it dramatic. Instead, it just looks awful.

I have to admit another Young Bucks loss was expected as I figured PnP would be getting a push. But there is something sort of corny and repetitive about what they have shown so far that makes me wonder. I may be on Jim Cornette's side on this one.

Thoughts and comments appreciated - rate the event yourself below!

Last edited:

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Both Wednesday shows have been outstanding just about every week. Far superior to Raw and Smackdown(with the exception off the Organic NXT Invasion on Smackdown).
One thing AEW must do, but I'm sure they won't. Have Cody live up to the stip, and NEVER EVERRRRR get an AEW title shot.
It was fascinating watching the buildup to the MJF turn that everyone knew was coming. Yes, it was too rushed, but I was focusing on MJF every week "rescuing" Cody but being a dick to everyone else rescuing him. MJF does all the little stuff so well. I can't wait for his coming rocketship.

TheOddsGuy

Administrator
Both Wednesday shows have been outstanding just about every week. Far superior to Raw and Smackdown(with the exception off the Organic NXT Invasion on Smackdown).
One thing AEW must do, but I'm sure they won't. Have Cody live up to the stip, and NEVER EVERRRRR get an AEW title shot.
It was fascinating watching the buildup to the MJF turn that everyone knew was coming. Yes, it was too rushed, but I was focusing on MJF every week "rescuing" Cody but being a dick to everyone else rescuing him. MJF does all the little stuff so well. I can't wait for his coming rocketship.

Yep a lot of people have been saying NxT is better than the 'main" shows for a while now.

NEVER, is a long time, especially in pro wrestling. I'm with you that they better make it meaningful, ie it has to be at least a few years. His return at some point is inevitable, but if it is in 2020 that would just be silly. I like the old Midnight Rider segment his dad had where he won the title wearing a mask and had to give it up, etc. We will see how they do it, but i'm with you - they could botch that Cody/title stipulation thing.

Also agree MJF has got that "it" factor. I saw it when he stomped a mudhole in the legless guy during the battle royal, lol. You are right his participation in some of the save Cody segments was lukewarm so maybe now he is in his true spot to shine.

The whole buzz around the AEW shows remains strong. The crowd at times reminds me of a "Rocky Horror Picture Show"type of feel in that the chants and stuff are participatory and kinda fun. WWE chants are usually bitching about something or the generic CM Punk chant.

I got to work with Shanya Bazler during her MMA career, I traveled with her during her first trip to Japan, and I must say Im very happy for what she has become. NxT seems to have a good thing going, but there is that Triple H infusion that makes the roster seem tense for some reason. I'm with you, I still watch both.