Anyone else think Crisp had a lot of fun fighting. It is costing him 7 games though.

Crisp (seven games), Shields (six) draw largest suspensions

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: June 6, 2008, 8:38 PM ET
<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- A day after the Boston Red Sox and Tampa Bay Rays tangled, Major League Baseball struck back: Eight suspensions totaling 38 games.
<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
Shields

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) --><!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) --> Crisp

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) -->Boston outfielder Coco Crisp and Tampa Bay pitcher James Shields were the hardest hit Friday, the result of their fight turning into a wild, bench-clearing brawl at Fenway Park.
Three Red Sox were suspended: Crisp for seven games, pitcher Jon Lester for five games and first baseman Sean Casey for three games.
Five Rays were penalized by MLB disciplinarian Bob Watson: Shields for six games, DH-outfielder Jonny Gomes and pitcher Edwin Jackson for five games each, outfielder Carl Crawford for four games and second baseman Akinori Iwamura for three games.
All eight players also were fined undisclosed amounts. The Red Sox and Rays have often clashed in the past, and their latest outburst came during Boston's 7-1 win Thursday night.
"I want to be very clear: I defend everything our guys did," Rays manager Joe Maddon said before Friday night's game at Texas. "I feel actually proud of the way we handled the situation that was presented."
The starting dates of the suspensions were staggered, so as to not leave either team short-handed.
Crisp, Shields and Gomes all appealed their penalties, which were set to start Friday night. They can play until the appeal process is complete.
Lester, suspended for throwing a pitch at a Tampa Bay hitter after a warning had been issued, did not appeal.
Crawford was set to start serving his suspension Wednesday, Jackson on June 13, Casey on June 14 and Iwamura on June 17.
"Obviously, we want to balance the days out. They've done that, but we want to see if we can set it up a little different," Maddon said.
"We'd like to see a few more of their guys suspended. They started it, but we had more guys thrown out," he said. "The perpetrator's crime is way too close to us."
The Red Sox were home against Seattle on Friday night. The Boston clubhouse had already closed when the suspensions were announced.
Major baseball brawls in recent years have resulted in multiple suspensions.
? In August 2006, eight suspensions were handed out after Texas and the Angels tangled. Managers Buck Showalter and Mike Scioscia, five players and a coach were penalized.
? In May 2000, 19 members of the Dodgers -- 17 players and two coaches -- were suspended after they climbed into the stands at Wrigley Field after a fan allegedly stole catcher Chad Kreuter's hat.
? In April 2000, 13 players were suspended after Detroit and the Chicago White Sox got into a pair of bench-clearing brawls. In addition, managers Jerry Manuel and Phil Garner and a coach were penalized.
With first place in the AL East on the line, tempers started to flare again between the Rays and Red Sox on Wednesday night after Crisp made a hard slide into Iwamura.
Then on Thursday night, Crisp was hit in the right hip by Shields in the second inning. Crisp rushed the mound, ducked a wild right by Shields and mayhem ensued.
"I don't regret anything," Shields said.
Gomes charged from the dugout, throwing punches at Crisp.
"My suspension, five games, I guess is deserved," Gomes said. "You leave the dugout and try to inflict punishment by punching someone, you're going to get fined."
Gomes served a one-game suspension this year for running in from right field to tackle the Yankees' Shelley Duncan during a brawl in spring training.
"It's definitely not the way I want to leave my mark as a player. It's my second offense. I'm sure that had something to do with it," Gomes said.
Crisp, left with a scratch on his forehead and right cheek, said Crawford tried to pull his hair during the pileup. After the game, Crawford didn't deny he might've done it. Crisp, Shields and Gomes were ejected.
"More of our guys participated. Or our guys got caught on tape," Crawford said.
Said Jackson: "It's nothing to be proud of. It's not some big accomplishment."
"The only way to explain it is instincts and reaction," he said. "It wasn't as if I was out there doing something dirty."
Often eliminated early, Tampa Bay is fighting with Boston and New York this year -- on and off the field.
"With the Red Sox it was more caused by dirty play during the game. With the Yankees, I don't know," Crawford said.

pensfan

EOG Member
Re: Anyone else think Crisp had a lot of fun fighting. It is costing him 7 games though.

coco is a punk

Re: Anyone else think Crisp had a lot of fun fighting. It is costing him 7 games though.

Thug---looks and acts like Pac-Man. Got what he deserved. Those guys know it all and know nothing. Thug

roseman

EOG Dedicated

he is a thug and I wish they would trade him. Not now with the injuries, but everyone knew he was going to get hit, the guy hit him in the leg. dumbass

how is he a thug....because he wears cornrows?? you guys don't know shit!!! 7 games is fucken crazy!!!

Talk about a thug....that fricken Jonny Gomes is a thug, always starting shit!! Mr Tough guy. always running his trap....throwing sucker punches at a guy on the bottom of a pile...that dick should have gotten 7 days too!!:devil:

COCO rarely says anything....thug my ass!!!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

actually it will cost him about 5 - what he gets after the appeal

actually it will cost him about 5 - what he gets after the appeal

IT'S 3 DAY...MAX, BUT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE AN EXAMPLE HERE....

COCO was right...the second baseman blocked the bag with his knee the night before when COCO went in head first...the next time down COCO goes in hard .....and this is being a thug?

Then the first at bat the next night...they hit him...

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: Anyone else think Crisp had a lot of fun fighting. It is costing him 7 games thou

Re: Anyone else think Crisp had a lot of fun fighting. It is costing him 7 games thou

how is he a thug....because he wears cornrows?? you guys don't know shit!!! 7 games is fucken crazy!!!

Talk about a thug....that fricken Jonny Gomes is a thug, always starting shit!! Mr Tough guy. always running his trap....throwing sucker punches at a guy on the bottom of a pile...that dick should have gotten 7 days too!!:devil:

COCO rarely says anything....thug my ass!!!
Montana, you have to admit he didn't gain any points with his interview explaining the fight like a 6 year old kid would.

he sounded like a baseball player...they aren't real smart for the most part..

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

he sounded like a baseball player...they aren't real smart for the most part..
touche

Outfielder Coco Crisp of the Boston Red Sox, right, takes a swing at Tampa Bay Rays pitcher James Shields after Crisp was hit by a pitch on June 5 in Fenway Park.
AMERICAN LEAGUE FYI

Will Rays and Red Sox play nice?

Tampa Bay and Boston scuffled on the field this season, and Red Sox players say those emotions could surface again in the American League championship series.
By Mike DiGiovanna
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 9, 2008

BOSTON -- It will take a few more decades of animosity for Tampa Bay-Boston to approach the heated baseball rivalry that is Boston-New York, but considering the contempt the teams have shown for each other, it's not a bad undercard.

The Red Sox will open the American League Championship Series on Friday night against the Rays at Tropicana Field, and the guy staring in from the mound for Tampa Bay -- right-hander James Shields -- is sure to stir emotions for the Red Sox.

Shields hit Boston outfielder Coco Crisp in the hip with a pitch on June 5 in Fenway Park, triggering a benches-clearing brawl that was a culmination of hostilities that began the night before, when Rays Manager Joe Maddon accused Crisp of "intentionally" trying to hurt second baseman Akinori Iwamura with a hard slide.

Crisp's slide came two innings after he felt Tampa Bay shortstop Jason Bartlett blocked the bag with his leg on a stolen base attempt, causing Crisp to injure his thumb.

Shields retaliated the next night, and video of the ensuing brawl, in which Crisp charged the mound and avoided Shields' round-house right with a lean-back move straight out of "The Matrix," will probably be replayed endlessly in the lead-up to the series.

"This isn't over," Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon said after the incident. The right-hander was asked before Wednesday's workout in Fenway Park if it was over between the Red Sox and Rays.

"I don't know," Papelbon said. "There could be something that stirs it right back up. You know how these things linger all year long."

Have the issues between the teams been resolved?

"I don't know, anything can happen with any team," Crisp said.

"We had an altercation with the Rays, and the playoffs are a little more intense, so if something were to happen, maybe somebody would take something wrong, but I doubt it."

Crisp said he doesn't hold grudges.

"I've gotten into arguments, altercations, with my close friends, and we're still close friends," he said. "It just so happens this one was televised."

Dome sweet dome

The Rays won the season series against the Red Sox, 10-8, and went 8-1 against Boston at home, so the fact they have home-field advantage in this series could be important. Tampa Bay went 2-7 at Fenway.

Tropicana Field wasn't the only domed stadium in which Boston struggled. The Red Sox went 1-3 at Minnesota and 4-5 at Toronto for a 6-16 record on artificial turf.

"I used to think it was fairly obvious," Manager Terry Francona said, when asked why Boston has had difficulty in domes. "When we were slower and we would get on turf against teams that could run, and we couldn't, we were at a disadvantage.

"I don't feel that way anymore. We're built differently, but our record is not very good. I'm hoping that's going to change."

I HOPE DICE-K SEEDS KNOCASINGLE IN THE BACK FIRST PITCH....SET THE TONE NINJA STILE.....:+excited-