BetonSports Founder Gary Kaplan Denied Bail

June 14, 2007

The founder of BetonSports, Gary Kaplan, has had his bid for bail thrown out by a St Louis federal court, where he faces racketeering and fraud charges.

The online gambling company pleaded guilty on 24 May to a single charge of racketeering conspiracy and is cooperating with prosecutors by providing evidence against Kaplan and 10 co-defendants.

Former chief executive David Carruthers, arrested nearly a year ago by US federal agents in transit at Dallas airport, denies similar charges and is under house arrest awaiting trial.

US magistrate Mary Ann Medler said there was a risk Kaplan would flee if freed. 'The defendant and his family have no real ties to anywhere or to any community,' Medler said.

Kaplan, 48, was arrested in a Dominican Republic hotel in March. He first appeared in court last month and pleaded not guilty.

Online gaming firms, most of them British, have been hit hard by a US campaign that claims the internet gambling industry, worth ?6bn in the US alone, violates federal laws against using a telephone or other electronic means to place bets across state borders.

A US law passed by Congress last year bars credit-card companies from collecting payments for such transactions, but lawyers for BetonSports, Carruthers and Kaplan say the law doesn't make the acceptance of US bets illegal.

BetonSports is insolvent and has filed for liquidation in the UK. However, there are now signs that the US may rethink its total ban. British firms 888 and PartyGaming say they are in talks with US authorities over an amnesty for past activities.

The move against the UK firms was seen largely as a bid by influential Las Vegas and state horse-racing interests to squeeze out competition.

The law was sponsored by an uneasy coalition of anti-gambling conservatives and Las Vegas firms, but the ban has simply driven online gambling towards less transparent companies than those, such as BetonSports, controlled by British law.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: BetonSports Founder Gary Kaplan Denied Bail

good move in that you gotta think he was a major flight risk

bad move in that it is bullshit the Govt has these charges

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

The G only wants his money anyhow.......why not make his bail like super high?????????????????

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Just my opinion but BOS was an OK place for me to play and I think most posters here as well. During a 4 yr period of handling disputes and sports book complaints, I did not receive many on the company. Maybe other people/places did. I am speaking for me. Other than the debate over BW's money that they are accused of stealing, I really thought the book was built for squares and that was good enough for my play. I was in there when David was arrested so I did lose some, but I know and I am fully aware my chances of loss EVERYDAY when I get out of bed.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
THIS IS AN OLDER THREAD......................................

THIS IS AN OLDER THREAD......................................

June 14, 2007

The founder of BetonSports, Gary Kaplan, has had his bid for bail thrown out by a St Louis federal court, where he faces racketeering and fraud charges.

The online gambling company pleaded guilty on 24 May to a single charge of racketeering conspiracy and is cooperating with prosecutors by providing evidence against Kaplan and 10 co-defendants.

Former chief executive David Carruthers, arrested nearly a year ago by US federal agents in transit at Dallas airport, denies similar charges and is under house arrest awaiting trial.

US magistrate Mary Ann Medler said there was a risk Kaplan would flee if freed. 'The defendant and his family have no real ties to anywhere or to any community,' Medler said.

Kaplan, 48, was arrested in a Dominican Republic hotel in March. He first appeared in court last month and pleaded not guilty.

Online gaming firms, most of them British, have been hit hard by a US campaign that claims the internet gambling industry, worth ?6bn in the US alone, violates federal laws against using a telephone or other electronic means to place bets across state borders.

A US law passed by Congress last year bars credit-card companies from collecting payments for such transactions, but lawyers for BetonSports, Carruthers and Kaplan say the law doesn't make the acceptance of US bets illegal.

BetonSports is insolvent and has filed for liquidation in the UK. However, there are now signs that the US may rethink its total ban. British firms 888 and PartyGaming say they are in talks with US authorities over an amnesty for past activities.

The move against the UK firms was seen largely as a bid by influential Las Vegas and state horse-racing interests to squeeze out competition.

The law was sponsored by an uneasy coalition of anti-gambling conservatives and Las Vegas firms, but the ban has simply driven online gambling towards less transparent companies than those, such as BetonSports, controlled by British law.

Speaking of 888...

Online gambling company 888.com has revealed it has great optimism for 2008 after an encouraging start from its new sports betting and bingo offerings.

888 has recovered strongly after pulling out from the US after the introduction of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) in October 2006.

Chief executive Gigi Levy told Reuters that 888 are operating at a pace of 20 per cent overall revenue growth for the year, but is hopeful of achieving more come the year end.

"Current run rate indicates 20 percent (overall revenue growth), and we are bullish on pushing this. Do I think 30 percent is too much? No, I don't think 30 is too much," Levy said.

Levy also revealed 888ladies.com (bingo) is exceeding all expectations and sport.888.com (sportsbetting) is also performing well.

"Bingo is doing dramatically above anything we expected. The run rate is currently where we expected to get to by the end of the year, it's that good. Sports was only launched a few weeks ago, and already last week we had hundreds of new sign-ups every day."

Total operating income rose by 38% to ?217 million for 2007, with profits more than doubling from ?22.2 million to ?45.8 million.

Editor, Jackpot.co.uk - 2008-04-09 11:07:24

888.com performing well

So if they beat thsi thing, since the US ban is very vague, will they sue the US. I realize he has pled guilty to 1 count of racketeering and the US Attorney allowed this because he doesn't care if he jails them, just wants conviction and $$$$$$$$$$. What about Caruthers and others? Do they have a case against the US?

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

No more entourages around San Jose. House of Kap came crumbling down. He was high vis target #2. High vis target #1 still roams around free. But you can bet feds are looking for a guy whose name rhymes with Alvin. Might even see his photo on a Nationally known magazine thumbing his nose at the gubment. These two sure helped a lot of bad things happen to the offshore industry.

Frog's rule #1. When you are rolling along in a gray area, turning on a bright limelight on yourself is not prudent.

Next.

Best Wishes...OF :hung

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

So if they beat thsi thing, since the US ban is very vague, will they sue the US. I realize he has pled guilty to 1 count of racketeering and the US Attorney allowed this because he doesn't care if he jails them, just wants conviction and $$$$$$$$$$. What about Caruthers and others? Do they have a case against the US?

If they beat this thing? They have already lost. Just like Jay C., just like Neteller cofounders, just like anyone else that gets dragged into gubment's hippity hop kangaroo court. The deal is sealed before it ever starts. The gubment does not play like they did in the old days when they hauled in BW. Now they rig the game before they start.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

I'm beginning to think some of this gambling is not above board.

vikingboy13

EOG Senior Member

Anybody here of any reimbursements being made to clients, or are we still screwed out of our monies? Thanks

Polar

EOG Member

This human garbage was the worst thing to ever happen to the offshore sports books. He was out for himself and UNLIKE others who laid back a little HE went way too far in trying to get SQUARE CUSTOMERS and made everything much worse for the rest of us who were happy with a good sized book.

FU(K HIM!

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

This human garbage was the worst thing to ever happen to the offshore sports books. He was out for himself and UNLIKE others who laid back a little HE went way too far in trying to get SQUARE CUSTOMERS and made everything much worse for the rest of us who were happy with a good sized book.

FU(K HIM!

Yes, he and the guy who's name rhymes with Alvin did no one any favors as far as the offshore books go. His sister and her entourage won't be missed either from what I gather.

Best Wishes...OF :+clueless

sl55

EOG Veteran

FU(K HIM!
Spot on,the fucker not only stole our money,but he brought attention to the straight up guys.Hope his nickname is manhole cover when he gets out,since if if he gets a dick up his ass for every dollar he stole,that would be appropriate.Fuck GK and the rest of his tribe:hung

The Devil

EOG Master

Anybody here of any reimbursements being made to clients, or are we still screwed out of our monies? Thanks

GARY KAPLAN AND YOUR MONEY ARE BOTH GONE........WON'T BE SEEING EITHER ONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE......

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

Power, money - corrupt - addict. Look at how many talented people in history who were virtual geniuses in certain areas but total freaking idiots after they were consumed by their addictions.

What does Kaplans biography look like? Education - environment -associates - doesn't look like all the money was worth it if he dies as an arrogant moron in prison.