Braves acquire All-Star Nate McLouth

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Big move for them. http://www.baseballdailydigest.com/blogs/2009/06/03/braves-trade-with-pirates-acquire-mclouth/Braves trade with Pirates, Acquire McLouth
by Bill Baer on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:21 pm EDT | Permanent Link
<!--<div class="entry">--> Per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
The Pirates have traded center fielder Nate McLouth to the Atlanta Braves tonight, according to two sources, but there is no immediate word on the return.
This is verified on the Braves website:
The Braves have acquired All-Star outfielder Nate McLouth from the Pirates in exchange for three highly regarded Minor League prospects.
A Major League source confirmed that the Pirates will send McLouth to the Braves in exchange for right-handed pitcher Charlie Morton, left-handed pitcher Jeff Locke and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez.
No surprise that the Braves were looking for an outfielder, but this one comes way out of left field. A good haul for both teams.

Re: Braves acquire All-Star Nate McLouth

mc clouth solid player and braves need lots of hitting help. No more shafer and his .100 BA? now

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

We gave up some really really good prospects.

I hope this does not comeback to bite us in the ass down the road.

if i was a Pittsburgh fan I would be sick, maybe even throw in the towel for good. Sure they get 3 touted prospects, but what about now? McLouth is far from an older player. Trading away all of your good offensive players year after year must really be frustrating

if i was a Pittsburgh fan I would be sick, maybe even throw in the towel for good. Sure they get 3 touted prospects, but what about now? McLouth is far from an older player. Trading away all of your good offensive players year after year must really be frustrating

not me, seems like that's pitts only chance to be good. Hoping 2/3 of the players are good. Then they give one and get two back. Not like with mcclouth they'd be playoffs.

They are gonna hafta be like the rays. Draft well and get some minors guys they can develop

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

not me, seems like that's pitts only chance to be good. Hoping 2/3 of the players are good. Then they give one and get two back. Not like with mcclouth they'd be playoffs.

They are gonna hafta be like the rays. Draft well and get some minors guys they can develop

All 3 are legit MLB prospects.
They will all play for PITT this season.

Gorkey and Morten will probably be on the team as early as tommorow.
Locke is a little down the road but Morten and Gorkey are both ready now.

Morten and Gorkey have both played for the BRAVES and just need a home.
When all is said and done Morten will probably tbe PITTS ACE pitcher in 2 years or less.

mofome

Banned

When all is said and done Morten will probably tbe PITTS ACE pitcher in 2 years or less.

If the pirates put gorkys on the mlb squad right now they should just fold. He isn't even close to ready.

Morton is ok. Locke may get decent if he ever has any control. Great deal for ATL.

from reading usatoday, atl cleaned up on the pirates. Gorkey is no power and a defensive player with no plate discipline. The other pitchers are nothing special.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

lol @ Hines.

Good to see the Braves trying to get a bat to help out with run support. Not that far out in the division and have some decent pitchers.

global24

EOG Veteran

I have a few friends who are such homers of the pirates it is absurd. Everytime we talk baseball they say how excited they are for the future and that they have all these prospects and yada yada. So my response is starting to be that the Pirates are a AAA team in the MLB. They have a built in disadvantage in being in a such small market and not being able to pay free agents or keep players long term because of the salary that they demand else where around the league (chicago, LA, boston, and NY).

The pirates owners are more concerned with making money off the team rather than building a winning team. Fact of the matter is in pittsburgh come June 24, the story typically is, "training camp starts in less than a month, let's go to Alby Oxonreider for an update on Big Ben's throwing shoulder" or some BS like that. This is a football town first but some embrace the pirates only because of the history they have.

I am not sure long term this team is going to be viable, I for one will not go to a game because i feel like I am rewarding management for putting together a poor product. I wouldn't go to a steak house that gave me food poisoning the past two times I went there so why would I go to a pirate game and expect a different result?