Buying a gift, whats kinda dog makes the best pet?

mofome

Banned
Dont want to get a tiny one. Dog thats good with people, not too wild, and b/w 50-110 lbs.

12io4j2w90

Re: Buying a gift, whats kinda dog makes the best pet?

one that is wanted by the recipient.... for about 15 years.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Mo. Go to some local barn that breeds, not a shelter. Pick out of a litter of mutts, one with cocker or springer spaniel in it. Pick the shy one. Will be a great pet and great with kids if you were looking for that. Also, since it is mutt shouldn't run you more then 50 bucks or so. Good luck

Last edited:

mo, my pap has had dobermans his whole life. they look mean, but his never bit nobody

WVU

EOG Master

make sure the person really wants and can have a dog before giving them one as a gift. I assume you already have though

Do you give a pet as a gift?

"Here, I'm thrusting this animal on you, and now you must take care of it."

Seems like more of a personal decision on the part of the owner.

WVU

EOG Master

Or you can let "her" buy the dog and you can volunteer to walk it and pick up the shit for the next 12 years or so.

If you are set on a dog as a gift a chocolate lab would make a great one.

If you buy a dog I will personally drive to MD and slap you around til you beg me to stop. Go to a shelter and adopt an animal that truly needs a home; not one that was bred with the sole purpose of making someone money.

RageWizard

EOG Senior Member

Mo seriously get a greyhound rescued from the track. I call them the 45 mph couch potatoes. They have short hair, don't drool, lay around all day on the couch, have a good temperment, usually good with kids and cats believe it or not. You would also have the extra bonus of everyone trying to tell you that their dog is real fast until you put them up head to head and their dog gets blow away with in 10 feet of the start of the race.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Mo seriously get a greyhound rescued from the track. I call them the 45 mph couch potatoes. They have short hair, don't drool, lay around all day on the couch, have a good temperment, usually good with kids and cats believe it or not. You would also have the extra bonus of everyone trying to tell you that their dog is real fast until you put them up head to head and their dog gets blow away with in 10 feet of the start of the race.
The short hair is a huge plus. How are they when a thief comes in the house? Do you have to asked them to give you a hand?

Is there any other way to create dogs?

bred = created on purpose to make money
rescue = dog that was created by accident and likely due to the laziness, uncaring and stupidity of the owner.

I volunteet a lot of my time with an adoption/rescue group and am not a big fan of dog breeding.

No bred dogs, dammit!

I know, Sporty....I know rescuing dogs is the best way to go...but you forget that my baby was a pure bred love muffin, so you can't expect me to trash people getting dogs from reputible breeders. Now, if Mo walks into a petshop and buys a puppy, I will strangle him myself.

rescue = dog that was created by accident and likely due to the laziness, uncaring and stupidity of the owner.

I volunteet a lot of my time with an adoption/rescue group and am not a big fan of dog breeding.

Now now....bred dogs make a profit, yes...but many breeders also do it for love of the breed and to maintain bloodlines. Also, you get a bit of a garuntee the dog will be healthy.

RageWizard

EOG Senior Member

The short hair is a huge plus. How are they when a thief comes in the house? Do you have to asked them to give you a hand?

Well they average 75 lbs and do bark. Everybody who has ever been to a track can tell you that they are mussled for the races. When it comes down to it though, they are big pussies and will likely help an intruder.

I agree with sportsgirl go to the shelter for an animal instead of a breeder. There are a entire shitload of animals just waiting for a home.

You can get some pure breeds from shelters. I bought a Pure breed Rotti last year for my birthday present. Jesse is the best dog I have owned in a while. Her owner had to move to an apartment and couldn't take her. So just try, you never know what you can find.

Now now....bred dogs make a profit, yes...but many breeders also do it for love of the breed and to maintain bloodlines. Also, you get a bit of a garuntee the dog will be healthy.
In actuality, pure bred dogs are more likely to have the problems and diseases that coincide with particular breeds. By example, a friend recently purchased ( against my will) a King Charles Cavelier Spaniel for $900. The dog is less than a year old and she had to have $1,000 worth of knee-replacement surgery done a month ago on this dog. Knee problems are typical for Cavaliers; however, mixed with another breed, this problem rarely replicates.
There are thousand of animals, that while not "purebred" are loving, great companions and continue to await their "forever home" while breeders are busy "maintaining bloodlines."

In actuality, pure bred dogs are more likely to have the problems and diseases that coincide with particular breeds. By example, a friend recently purchased ( against my will) a King Charles Cavelier Spaniel for $900. The dog is less than a year old and she had to have $1,000 worth of knee-replacement surgery done a month ago on this dog. Knee problems are typical for Cavaliers; however, mixed with another breed, this problem rarely replicates.
There are thousand of animals, that while not "purebred" are loving, great companions and continue to await their "forever home" while breeders are busy "maintaining bloodlines."

Honey...you know I know all this. I'm just sayin'...don't be so hard on breeders. They feel what they are doing helps dogs and owners. Plus, a GOOD breeder tries to eliminate those defects from the bloodline.

In any case, I know my next dog will be a rescue dog. I have major issues with pet store selling puppies from mills, but breeders serve their purpose.

Honey...you know I know all this. I'm just sayin'...don't be so hard on breeders. They feel what they are doing helps dogs and owners. Plus, a GOOD breeder tries to eliminate those defects from the bloodline.

In any case, I know my next dog will be a rescue dog. I have major issues with pet store selling puppies from mills, but breeders serve their purpose.

Agreeing to disagree, my love :cheers

jackpot@trinity

EOG Member

German Shepherd, Lab, Akita, Siberian Husky All of these I've had and highly recommend. Paid for none of them they were either got from the shelter or pound Akita was found abounded as a small pup that should have still been with its mother!!!!!!!!!

German Shepherd, Lab, Akita, Siberian Husky All of these I've had and highly recommend. Paid for none of them they were either got from the shelter or pound Akita was found abounded as a small pup that should have still been with its mother!!!!!!!!!

See great pure breeds from shelters. Good job dude!12io4j2w90

If you buy a dog I will personally drive to MD and slap you around til you beg me to stop. Go to a shelter and adopt an animal that truly needs a home; not one that was bred with the sole purpose of making someone money.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Blondie

EOG Master

That I REALLY have to disagree with. While some might do it for the money (puppy mills) not all breeders do. By the time you consider the fact that the breeder feeds the mother, possibly the father, and pups, shots for all, veterinarian bills, and many, many other expenses.

A true breeder does it for the love of the animals and in the end after expenses makes VERY LITTLE. Also true breeders (at least those with ANY amount of class) care for the puppies as though they are their own.

Every litter we have leaves our house leash trained, with basic sit and stay commands, puppy shots up to date, a requirement that the new owner will have the puppy checked out by a vet within 72 hours, full rights that if I find out the dog is being mistreated to reclaim the animal, and now thanks to NickP's suggestion crate trained.

My two that I kept out of our last litter I do not even close the crate door at night. They know when it is bed time to go lay down in it and go to sleep.

Blondie...I want one of those pups so damn bad. What breed are they?

Blondie

EOG Master

They are full blooded Saint Bernards spent two years researching the bloodlines of the parents before we purchased their mom and dad.

They are spoiled rotten just to warn ya :LMAO

They are full blooded Saint Bernards spent two years researching the bloodlines of the parents before we purchased their mom and dad.

They are spoiled rotten just to warn ya :LMAO

I can tell you that her pups are spoiled that is for sure. They are also small horses. :LMAOBut they are great.

That I REALLY have to disagree with. While some might do it for the money (puppy mills) not all breeders do. By the time you consider the fact that the breeder feeds the mother, possibly the father, and pups, shots for all, veterinarian bills, and many, many other expenses.

A true breeder does it for the love of the animals and in the end after expenses makes VERY LITTLE. Also true breeders (at least those with ANY amount of class) care for the puppies as though they are their own.

Every litter we have leaves our house leash trained, with basic sit and stay commands, puppy shots up to date, a requirement that the new owner will have the puppy checked out by a vet within 72 hours, full rights that if I find out the dog is being mistreated to reclaim the animal, and now thanks to NickP's suggestion crate trained.

My two that I kept out of our last litter I do not even close the crate door at night. They know when it is bed time to go lay down in it and go to sleep.

I don't disagree that some breeders are not in it for the money; however, I fail to see the point in creating more dogs on purpose when there are so very many dogs on the planet already that have no home?

Blondie

EOG Master

I can tell you that her pups are spoiled that is for sure. They are also small horses. :LMAOBut they are great.

Their newest thing is fighting over who gets to go for the morning walk for coffee. They know the lady at the drive through window gives them a treat :LMAO

Their newest thing is fighting over who gets to go for the morning walk for coffee. They know the lady at the drive through window gives them a treat :LMAO

Yeah you do get a good workout with them on the other end of the leash.:LMAO