Circa Friday Football Invitational

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Lousy presentation. Just reading off picks for most of the contestants.

3 hour show felt more like an infomercial.

Very disappointing.

No audience showed up despite free food. Damn!

JK save this train wreck please. Youman a good handicapper but can't carry three hours.

railbird

EOG Master

Very disappointing.

JK save this train wreck please. Youman a good handicapper but can't carry three hours.
me and jk were like stockton and malone

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Had Adam Hill scratch because of some controversy that because he is a journalist with LVRJ, he shouldn't compete.

Replaced with Joey Fortuna (@JoeyTunes2), I make his odds of winning at 14/1.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
JK would be a definite upgrade.

A Brubeck pick is listed as Arizona State-Oregon State Over 57.5. Only problem is there was no such game.

Going into NFL games, only Paul Stone 2-3 and Dan Saley 1-4 have finished. Saley bringing up last place so far.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Unofficial leaders: Chuck Edel, 5-0, and Randy McKay, LV Cris, and Jeff Whitelaw at 4-1, all with BB winners. Cumulatively, going into MNF, 4 picks pending.

Last edited:

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Well, the good news for Fezzik is he gets his comfortable Wednesday lines.

The rules call for lines to be picked from Circa during a 4-hour window on Friday from 9AM to 1:15PM well before the show at 9PM PT. This allows 2 cappers to be on opposing sides at different numbers. E.G. 2 picks from week 1 were BYU -2.5 and Baylor +3.

Last edited:

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated

Very disappointing.

I've thought Youmans was a bore since first hearing about him here and listening.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Official results, end Week 1 (edit):

Capper Pts BB
Chuck Edel 5.0 1

Randy McKay 4.0 1
James Salinas 4.0 1
Cris Zeniuk 4.0 1
Jeff Whitelaw 4.0 1

Chris Fallica 3.0 1
Mike North 3.0 1
Steve Fezzik 3.0 1
Bryan Edwards 3.0 1
Mark Lawrence 3.0 1
Joey Tunes 3.0 1
Erin Rynning 3.0 0

Doug Kezirian 2.0 1
Paul Stone 2.0 0
Bobby Bucket Brubeck 2.0 0
Dan Saley 1.0 0

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
I've thought Youmans was a bore since first hearing about him here and listening.

He's a trained journalist. The transition to radio is not easy. He's getting better. Look at the baseball writers ESPN has brought in as analyst. Brutal personalities... they've only known a keyboard for a eternity.

Tim Kurkjian 🤮

Adam Schefter (football) 🤮

Last edited:

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
What about the gambling show on ESPN TV or BetMGM & BetQL on the radio? They are all 1-3 hours long. Who has that much time to devote to listening to shows where they don't have anyone interesting on or not one host or guest has a winning record? For instance ESPM Daily Wager has Doug Kezirian , Joe Fortenbaugh or Tyler Fulgam who are solid hosts setting people up but they have zero star power. The most opinionated fairly occasional guest is Anita Marks. The only problem with that is that she might be one of the worst handicappers on this planet. There is a Twitter account that tracks all her picks on the Daily Wager. She's lifetime in the low 40% range. She's that much of a fade on her sides, totals and player props. These shows need people on that can win and have interesting takes. They all stopped giving the handicappers tracked records because it got so bad.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
It has been said many times before, but I reiterate, I think the best and most entertaining format of all was the format of the Stardust Invitational hosted by John Kelly. The format, the selections by the handicappers, explanations made for a perfect 1 hour show that lasted the entire football season.

After the Stardust, the show moved over to Hooters, still hosted by JK. Spartan Mike and myself were on hand to watch the Shrink who was up against (I forget who), and again, very entertaining.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
What about the gambling show on ESPN TV or BetMGM & BetQL on the radio? They are all 1-3 hours long. Who has that much time to devote to listening to shows where they don't have anyone interesting on or not one host or guest has a winning record? For instance ESPM Daily Wager has Doug Kezirian , Joe Fortenbaugh or Tyler Fulgam who are solid hosts setting people up but they have zero star power. The most opinionated fairly occasional guest is Anita Marks. The only problem with that is that she might be one of the worst handicappers on this planet. There is a Twitter account that tracks all her picks on the Daily Wager. She's lifetime in the low 40% range. She's that much of a fade on her sides, totals and player props. These shows need people on that can win and have interesting takes. They all stopped giving the handicappers tracked records because it got so bad.

Can you share it here?

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The reviews are streaming in

It’s the feel-good hit of VSiN’s new fall lineup.

It’s Matt Youmans’ Saturday Bet Prep featuring the inaugural Circa Friday Football Invitational.

“A home run,” says Circa Las Vegas owner Derek Stevens.

“A must see,” says Marc, a VSiN Pro subscriber from Maryland. “You guys gotta promote the shit outta that show. Matt has the proper amount of stones with some smartass sprinkled in. Entertaining, sure, but very educational also.”

Like he said.

Week 1 results are in the books as 16 handicappers — most of them professionals — vie for $25,000 in a season-long competition in which they pick 5 college or pro games a week.

On tonight’s show, contestants Marc Lawrence, Brian Edwards, Randy McKay and Chuck Edel will be appearing along with Derek, who put up the $25,000, and VSiN/Circa ombudsman Mike Palm.

Edel went 5-0 and McKay 4-1. Best bets were a combined 12-4 last week with 12 of the 16 handicappers at 3-2 or better.

I will post the Week 2 contest selections in the VSiN Pro Picks at a Glance email that I sent out early Saturday morning with other host and guest top plays.

Now I realize the time slot of midnight-3 a.m. ET early Saturday might not be the sweet spot for some of you. The show is replayed from 7-10 a.m. ET Saturday. And there are various ways to watch or listen. You can watch live on VSiN.com (if you are a subscriber) or watch the replay. You can listen for free on our player. You also can listen via the VSiN Best Bets podcast, where we post every hour or every show.

OK, I hope this meets Marc's high standard for promotion.

—Bill

P.S. If you are in need of last-minute college football counsel, we have compiled staff best bets, plus Matt has posted his weekly piece.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Current standings, Week 2, going into MNF:

Capper Total BB
Chuck Edel 8.0 1.0
Chris Fallica 7.0 2.0
Steve Fezzik 7.0 2.0
James Salinas 7.0 1.0

Randy McKay 6.0 1.0
Jeff Whitelaw 6.0 1.0
Mike North 5.0 2.0
Bryan Edwards 5.0 2.0
Mark Lawrence 5.0 2.0
Doug Kezirian 5.0 1.0
Cris Zeniuk 5.0 1.0
Erin Rynning 5.0 0.0

Joey Tunes 4.0 1.0
Paul Stone 4.0 0.0
Dan Saley 3.0 1.0
Bobby Buckets Brubeck 3.0 0.0

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Current standings, Week 2, going into MNF:

Capper Total BB
Chuck Edel 8.0 1.0
Chris Fallica 7.0 2.0
Steve Fezzik 7.0 2.0
James Salinas 7.0 1.0

Randy McKay 6.0 1.0
Jeff Whitelaw 6.0 1.0
Mike North 5.0 2.0
Bryan Edwards 5.0 2.0
Mark Lawrence 5.0 2.0
Doug Kezirian 5.0 1.0
Cris Zeniuk 5.0 1.0
Erin Rynning 5.0 0.0

Joey Tunes 4.0 1.0
Paul Stone 4.0 0.0
Dan Saley 3.0 1.0
Bobby Buckets Brubeck 3.0 0.0

I know we are only 2 weeks in, but for all of the "crap" Fallica took, to be 7-3 with 2 BB wins is damn impressive. Lonnnnnnnnng way to go but great start so far

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Unofficial standings, End Week 2:

Capper Pts BB
Chuck Edel 9.0 1.0

Chris Fallica 7.0 2.0
Randy McKay 7.0 2.0
Steve Fezzik 7.0 2.0
James Salinas 7.0 1.0

Jeff Whitelaw 6.0 1.0

Mike North 5.0 2.0
Bryan Edwards 5.0 2.0
Mark Lawrence 5.0 2.0
Doug Kezirian 5.0 1.0
Dan Saley 5.0 1.0
Cris Zeniuk 5.0 1.0
Erin Rynning 5.0 0.0

Joey Tunes 4.0 1.0
Paul Stone 4.0 0.0
Bobby Buckets Brubeck 4.0 0.0

ComptrBob

EOG Master
After a few pageviews, VSiN puts the Circa Invitational selections behind a paywall, forcing you to subscribe. I tweeted this fact to @DerekStevens and @CircaSports and they created a page with the standings and selections on their website (see below, for free, of course).

Last edited:

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Standings going into NFL Sunday, Week 3 so far, 29-21, with 30 pending:

Capper Tot BB Pend
Chuck Edel 12.0 2.0 1
Steve Fezzik 10.0 3.0 2
Chris Fallica 10.0 3.0 0
Randy McKay 9.0 2.0 3

Doug Kezirian 9.0 2.0 0
Paul Stone 8.0 1.0 0
James Salinas 7.0 1.0 4
Mark Lawrence 7.0 2.0 3
Dan Saley 7.0 1.0 0
Jeff Whitelaw 6.0 1.0 5

Mike North 6.0 2.0 3
Erin Rynning 6.0 0.0 3
Cris Zeniuk 6.0 1.0 2
Joey Tunes 6.0 1.0 0
Bobby Buckets Brubeck 5.0 0.0 3
Bryan Edwards 5.0 2.0 1

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Chuck is unfuckingreal. And most of his games are totals that are really not even close. Stone with a nice 4-0 week and maybe 5-0. Hope North loses his BB since it is Pats +3 although if he gets a PUSH I am fine with it since I have - and LOVE - Ravens -2.5

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Marc Lawrence, 2005 Stardust Invitational winner, gave props to JK on hosting the invitational back in the day on Youmans' Friday show. Youmans said JK was a friend of his, but JK is like Bigfoot. You don't see him around town much. Only in rare sightings! Lol

I remember one Leroy's radio show in Reno that I co-hosted with JK. Matt Youmans was with the LVRJ, called in to report from a March Madness tourney site (2007, St. Louis, as I remember). UNLV was meeting Oregon in the regional semis. I was hard pressed to come up with a question for him. Didn't want to hit him with a statistical question. Oregon beat UNLV, lost to Florida in the regional finals.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Final Standings, week 3 (edit):

Capper Tot BB
Chuck Edel 12.0 2.0
Steve Fezzik 11.0 3.0

Chris Fallica 10.0 3.0
Randy McKay 10.0 2.0
Doug Kezirian 9.0 2.0
James Salinas 9.0 1.0
Mark Lawrence 9.0 3.0

Paul Stone 8.0 1.0