Clay Helton

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Sounds like he is the interim coach for USC effective now. Reports of Haden asking Sarkisian to take a leave (alcohol related?)

Re: Clay Helton

Helton is now coaching for a permanent position. If he can somehow engineer wins against BOTH Notre Dame and UCLA, he will be the next USC Head Coach. If not, USC will look elsewhere.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Helton is now coaching for a permanent position. If he can somehow engineer wins against BOTH Notre Dame and UCLA, he will be the next USC Head Coach. If not, USC will look elsewhere.
Do you think they would go hard after Chip Kelly first?

No. Kelly is set in concrete in Philly. He also won a lot of games for Oregon with a new fancy offense, but that has now grown old. USC should stay away from any former assistants. Kiffin, Sark, and Orgeron proved that they just did not have what it took to be a successful HC. If I were USC, I would go after Huston HC and former Ohio State OC Tom Herman, Arizona State HC Todd Graham, if ASU continues to slip, Mark Stoops from Kentucky who has turned that program around, or Matt Wells from Utah State.

Heim

EOG Master

I always thought Del Rio was a good fit for this program...former Trojan....no nonsense and knows defense. Good OCs are a dime a dozen.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I always thought Del Rio was a good fit for this program...former Trojan....no nonsense and knows defense. Good OCs are a dime a dozen.

Agree on Del Rio, solid guy. Wonder if they look at Jeff Fisher's way?

Del Rio is in his forst year at Oakland and they are doing fairly well. He will not leave. If you want a longshot NFL HC who may want to move back into the College ranks, how about John Harbaugh of the 1-4 Baltimore Ravens.

Heim

EOG Master
I don't blame everything on him.

I blame the people that rank USC recruiting classes as top 10 each year

Obvious last few years, very overrated.

Stanford has one 4 star wide out. USC has 3 five star. Cardinal receivers lay over them.

Just one example.

I don't blame everything on him.

I blame the people that rank USC recruiting classes as top 10 each year

Obvious last few years, very overrated.
Yup, but good luck hanging your hat on that. Helton is still the evaluator. Whether a service gives the kid a 5* or a 1*, Helton still needs to put his eyes on the recruit. Bad coach, bad recruiter. USC just needs to cut bait at this point and move on.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Last night's USC postgame show was a real beauty.

Felt like someone had died.

Final score: Stanford 42 USC 28.

Turns out, USC -16 (Circa opener) was a bad bet, let alone the closing number of USC -17.5.

Stanford found its quarterback in sophomore Tanner McKee.

A double-digit underdog wins by double digits.

Not quite the shocker from 2007 when Stanford won as a 41-point underdog, but still a major upset.

Stanford looked like dead money for the season last week, guess they just were looking forward to this one. K State pretty much gave them nothing. Pac12 is all over the map, my Huskies look dreadful, the fucking Ducks look like title contenders ugh. The Utes blew a tire, but CU almost pulled off a huge upset and that program feels like its finally not cannon fodder any longer. Well one thing we can count on, Railbird's beloved Wazzu still looks like a shit show to me.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Last night's USC postgame show was a real beauty.

Felt like someone had died.

Final score: Stanford 42 USC 28.

Turns out, USC -16 (Circa opener) was a bad bet, let alone the closing number of USC -17.5.

Stanford found its quarterback in sophomore Tanner McKee.

A double-digit underdog wins by double digits.

Not quite the shocker from 2007 when Stanford won as a 41-point underdog, but still a major upset.
Remember that Stanford game well, winning as a big dog. Hard to believe that is the same guy coaching Michigan now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ESPN chose to televise Oregon-Arizona over Oregon State-USC for the late-night Pac-12 window a week from this Saturday.

After all, the Ducks are in the playoff hunt and the Coliseum figures to be half-empty.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
The recruiting has been shit the last few years. And the blue-chip wide-outs half transferred.

Where are the great lineman or running backs from the glory days?

The best back to come out of SC under Helton is Ronald Jones...Ronald Jones!?

ComptrBob

EOG Master
USC has named Donte Williams as interim coach, who started his FBS coaching career at Nevada as Quality Control coach. he has had assistant coaching stints at UW, SJ State, Arizona, Nebraska, and Oregon,

railbird

EOG Master
USC has named Donte Williams as interim coach, who started his FBS coaching career at Nevada as Quality Control coach. he has had assistant coaching stints at UW, SJ State, Arizona, Nebraska, and Oregon,
in basketball they call him a bag man, he was hired to recruit.

Heim

EOG Master
Cincy Fickell and USC AD connected at the hip....

Fickell will probably go undefeated this season but will get shade for a National Championship.

That won't happen at SC.

Heim

EOG Master
I agree with Cowhard, a college coach isn't going to work at SC. As much as I like Fickell, midwestern hick isn't going to work in So. Cal.

Go ex NFL like Pederson....name recognition, and more respect from players.

Last edited:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Fickell has never coached outside of Ohio.

His makeup isn't what usc is looking for.

I see more of a bob stoops coming to take the wheel

kane

EOG master
There's no way for me to know this, but my hunch is the only college job he'd be interested in is NDU, then again if things go bad in Jax, he could look to bail

Chris Petersen would be a good hire if he wanted to get back into coaching
I don't think he wants that kind of spotlight and expectations. If the situation in Seattle burned him out then give him about two seasons in LA and he'd be cooked. Plus he's not an SC recruiting guy. He likes 3 and 4 star prospects he can make into team players and a few into NFL picks. SC top recruits won't appreciate his approach.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
There's no way for me to know this, but my hunch is the only college job he'd be interested in is NDU, then again if things go bad in Jax, he could look to bail
A 2-6 start with some ugly losses will start linking him to college jobs. That will further alienate the veterans on the Jags. It does have the makings of a one-and-done.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
A 2-6 start with some ugly losses will start linking him to college jobs. That will further alienate the veterans on the Jags. It does have the makings of a one-and-done.
The way he answered the usc job question today was telling.

Telling us he is going to have heart issues and the doctor is going to subscribe southern cal as the cure

railbird

EOG Master
The interim coach is the new hire, it was planned and scripted and timed this way. This is the diveristy hire that the communist president folt planned out. Franklin makes 10m a yr already, he aint coming

railbird

EOG Master
Jacksonville has no talent, not his fault, trevor is overrated

Last edited by a moderator:

railbird

EOG Master
usc is toast. players dont want to be locked down by newsom, thats why we lost a qb to hurricanes, bama, and clemson