Cry me a Rivers

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Philip Rivers has retired after 17 years in the NFL.

The 39 year old QB, who spent his career with the LA Chargers and Indianapolis Colts, ranks 5th in passing yards with 63,440. He trails only Tom Brady, Free Brees, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre.

Rivers threw 421 TD passes against 209 INT, and held a career starting record of 139-113.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I have mixed feelings about the NFL career of Philip Rivers.

Appreciated his competitive fire but he always seemed to come out on the short-end when games really mattered.

Posted a 95 QB rating in the regular season and only an 85 QB rating in the postseason.

Seems his teams always trailed by 4-7 points late in the fourth quarter when he would frantically attempt a comeback.

My lasting image of Rivers: Sidearm throws off his back foot while trying to evade an oncoming rush in the final two minutes of the game.

1611158824858.png

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rivers is a devout Catholic.

Referenced St. Sebastian in his final press conference.

Raise your hand if you knew St. Sebastian was the patron saint of athletes.

Any saints focused on sports betting?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I stand corrected.

Can you be a gunslinger with a squirt gun?

I don't think so.

Now I don't like the comparison.

Haha.

jimmythegreek

His sidearm toss reminded me of Kent Tekulve out of the pocket on the mound at times.

His eephus blooper bomb that of Dave LaRoche.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Philip Rivers has retired after 17 years in the NFL.

The 39 year old QB, who spent his career with the LA Chargers and Indianapolis Colts, ranks 5th in passing yards with 63,440. He trails only Tom Brady, Free Brees, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre.

Rivers threw 421 TD passes against 209 INT, and held a career starting record of 139-113.

...................which comes out to 1 per kid he has. Although unlike other ones like him - all with the same woman

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
I like the Favre comparison.

Big boys with big arms and gunslinger mindsets.

Gunslinger I'll agree, I don't recall any mention of arm strength tho.

They've seemed similar to me moreso because of their Southern heritage and high amount of interceptions.

Reich remains in search of a qb capable of making a playoff run in Indi.

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
Sam Darnold would be a good replacement for Rivers in Indy or if Brees retires in the Big Easy. Sam has been in a bad organization with a bad head coach! A change of scenery would be good for him & he is only 23!

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated
I think Darnold is a great fit in Indy as well.Thats a really good offense . I always liked Rivers and he made a lot of nice passes in that Buffalo game....but its the one he misses that we remember. I thought the Colts took too long to open up that game,If they spread the field from the begining they win it.

Definitely not a Hall of Famer.

If Eli gets in, you have to say Rivers is probably deserving too. If Eli doesn't make it then I think Rivers not making it is more reasonable. Its not the MLB Hall, lots of borderline players can get into the NFL Hall.

Valuist

EOG Master
If Eli gets in, you have to say Rivers is probably deserving too. If Eli doesn't make it then I think Rivers not making it is more reasonable. Its not the MLB Hall, lots of borderline players can get into the NFL Hall.

If Eli doesn't win those Super Bowls, he doesn't get in. But he did, and Rivers didn't.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Rivers is a devout Catholic.

Referenced St. Sebastian in his final press conference.

Raise your hand if you knew St. Sebastian was the patron saint of athletes.

Any saints focused on sports betting?

Devout Catholic is why he has nine kids. Catholic church forbids the use of birth control. Did not know about Saint Sebastian. Who is the Saint for degenerate gamblers?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
If Eli doesn't win those Super Bowls, he doesn't get in. But he did, and Rivers didn't.

If Kirby Puckett doesn't do what he did in the 1987 and 1991 playoffs he also never makes Cooperstown. I don't want to get into his politics here but if Curt Schillings gets in it is 100% because of what he did in the postseason because his Reg Season stats do not merit induction

SB Rings

Eli: 2
Rivers: 0

That ends all debate about who is more deserving

A team sport with 45+ guys playing? Come on, not this dumb argument again. Why did they let Jim Kelly and Warren Moon in? Why aren't Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson given spots in the HOF for their huge SB wins?

jimmythegreek

If we're going to use Super Bowl victories as a measuring stick among others, Peyton also won 2 like Eli and Canton will be first ballot calling this season.

jimmythegreek

Guess if Brady doesn't come out of retirement a second time, Rivers has expressed interest in returning g, more specifically with Miami or San Francisco.