Cubs Cleaning House....

Heim

EOG Master
Rizzo gone. Bryant and Kimbrel next.

Sad. Not a Cubs fan but Rizzo was the new Mr. Cub.

Valuist

EOG Master
They could end up re-signing him, like Chapman with the Yanks for 2017.

I don't buy into the "poor owners" talk. They did own and sell TD Ameritrade.

Heim

EOG Master
They could end up re-signing him, like Chapman with the Yanks for 2017.

I don't buy into the "poor owners" talk. They did own and sell TD Ameritrade.

I don't get the re-build. Their nucleus is in their prime. I'm not familiar with their contract situation but this team is not that far off for another run.

Last edited:
Free agents just aren't worth the money, that's what this is. Cubs can put out a mediocre product but thanks to a 50 year backlog for season tickets they can just pocket the money from a middle of the road payroll and a near top of the league revenue stream.

I think a lot of teams already see the logic in this, but getting a big boy with huge revenues to see the light is game changing.

Heim

EOG Master
After they swept the Pads in early June they were in first place. Best bullpen in NL. Fast forward 2 months and management pulls a Simone Biles.

Valuist

EOG Master
all you have to say is heyward.. what happened to him?

Was he ever that good? This is what happens when people start taking 6'5" 225 lbs and athletic and start projecting 30-35 HRs yearly. Theo should've known better. HE discovered Mookie Betts...all 5'8" 175 lbs. This signing, along with the Jimenez trade for Quintana, is why the team is blowing up. Heyward is untradeable with that contract.

Cubs at Washington today. How does one consider approaching that game? Dumpster Fire 1 meets Dumpster Fire 2.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
So much for straight-talking Cub manager David Ross.

He was asked after yesterday's game about the mood in the dugout.

His response, "I was focused on the details of winning the game. You'll have to ask the players about the mood in the dugout."

Ugh.

MG Man

EOG Enthusiast
The Twins gave away one of their two quality starters and now are in full rebuild mode as are the Nats. The good news about the Nats dumping Scherzer is my nephew is a starting pitcher in their organization and has room to move up. He's on rehap from TJ surgery and throws it 95-97 with good spin on his offspeed pitches. He was part of their 60 man squad ly before he got hurt so there may be a silver lining for me in the Nats rebuild.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The big winners this week are the White Sox and not the Dodgers. That bullpen is the best in baseball now.

Heim

EOG Master
The big winners this week are the White Sox and not the Dodgers. That bullpen is the best in baseball now.
How about the Yanks....Rizzo and Gallo. They had zero left hand bats for that short right field porch.

Heaney not a bad lefty either.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Best return the Cubs got was on Kimbrel.

Madrigal is a very good player.

The other trades, were pretty weak.

They would have been better off taking the draft picks and letting the scouting department do its job.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Best return the Cubs got was on Kimbrel.

Madrigal is a very good player.

The other trades, were pretty weak.

They would have been better off taking the draft picks and letting the scouting department do its job.

They call Madrigal "Nicky Two Strikes" on White Sox television broadcasts.

I like his competitive fire.

Only one problem, though.

No pop in his bat.

MrTop

EOG Master

dodgers and yanks got the most on WAR maybe not the best of the trades. We don't know yet what the return players will become.

turner one of the best at SS and one of the best at the plate. .300 career batting average..Dodgers will add to one of MLB's best line ups that do not whiff when betts gets back.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
dodgers and yanks got the most on WAR maybe not the best of the trades. We don't know yet what the return players will become.

turner one of the best at SS and one of the best at the plate. .300 career batting average..Dodgers will add to one of MLB's best line ups that do not whiff when betts gets back.
The Dodgers didn’t fix their glaring hole - the closer. Bullpens win titles.

MrTop

EOG Master
i was shocked on that myself. Could of picked up someone after the deadline...the braves picked up the pirates closer

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
i think hitters win the titles. The A's have a good bullpen and so do the yankees. Neither win the title. They have sluggers not hitters.
I don’t think Oakland’s rotation is playoff caliber. Basically a team that is always built for the regular season. They don’t get to play Seattle in October.

MrTop

EOG Master
i think the dodgers got sherzer cause they think they will play Milwaukee .. The brewers have 3 very good starters.

MrTop

EOG Master
I don’t think Oakland’s rotation is playoff caliber. Basically a team that is always built for the regular season. They don’t get to play Seattle in October.

i agree. They never could put 3 hits together.. They have usually .240-.250 hitters. Look at your last 5 title winners. the dodgers , astros , redsox and wash all had hitters.

MrTop

EOG Master
i agree. They never could put 3 hits together.. They have usually .240-.250 hitters. Look at your last 5 title winners. the dodgers , astros , redsox and wash all had hitters.

tampa lost last year...no hitters bullpen yes

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
tampa lost last year...no hitters bullpen yes
I don’t think their rotation was good enough either. This year is a break from how they do things with the trade for Nelson Cruz. It’s really hard to win without power in the playoffs. The great move LA made was getting Turner, Wash was dumb to trade him.

MrTop

EOG Master
I don’t think their rotation was good enough either. This year is a break from how they do things with the trade for Nelson Cruz. It’s really hard to win without power in the playoffs. The great move LA made was getting Turner, Wash was dumb to trade him.

i think without checking turner was up for a real contract. Washington is in rebuilding mode. Soto will be next to leave. Soto is the prize. The sports owner business you hope to make some money but the real money comes when you sell the team . The yankees were bought for 10 million from CBS ...worth billions now.

Valuist

EOG Master
i think hitters win the titles. The A's have a good bullpen and so do the yankees. Neither win the title. They have sluggers not hitters.

I don't think the A's bullpen is strong at all. 8th in WHIP but 27th in XFIP and 27th in K/BB. They aren't Arizona or St. Louis bad, but its not helping them.

MrTop

EOG Master
I don't think the A's bullpen is strong at all. 8th in WHIP but 27th in XFIP and 27th in K/BB. They aren't Arizona or St. Louis bad, but its not helping them.

well looking at it.. you are correct. They are 10th in ERA. 12th in WAR ...in the past they usually had a good pen. Never win it. They don't have the hitters to win it. Tampa right now is a better A's team lack of hitting outside of cruz . better than last year's hitters. Franco probably 2 yrs away

Heim

EOG Master
Surprisingly A's Romo still not a bad set up guy if you like 78 mph sliders 😅

A's with 3 solid starters and a big pickup in Marte. Good as any in AL 🤷

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
read that 10 out of 30 all stars were traded

but that' can't make sense, there has got to be more than 30 all stars. Was it out of the NL all stars?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Surprisingly A's Romo still not a bad set up guy if you like 78 mph sliders 😅

A's with 3 solid starters and a big pickup in Marte. Good as any in AL 🤷
I’ve burned too much money on this team in the past. Really no difference-makers when it comes to the playoffs. Marte was a very good pickup though.

MrTop

EOG Master
Brewers only team in NL that can beat the Dodgers

brewers probably overall best pitching in NL playoffs

#3 in defense in MLB

Played very well vs the playoff teams

bad note : 4th from the bottom in MLB batting average.

live play if they can get hits when they count.

railbird

EOG Master
smart and sophisticated gamblers would be getting down on olympic aquatics instead of regurgitation of the trade wire of boring mlb trades