Cubs Cleaning House....

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
I like the Heaney ceiling, if he ever figures out how to throw a change effectively would be able to trust him in a big game

smart and sophisticated gamblers would be getting down on olympic aquatics instead of regurgitation of the trade wire of boring mlb trades

Talk is cheap. Likewise insults. Post something to prove your claims if you want to be taken seriously.

Valuist

EOG Master
I don't get why Hendricks is not in the conversation for Cy Young.

That +140 F5 yesterday was nice. THink about that: Hendricks +140 vs Gutierrez. Yes, I know the Reds lineup is much better. But the Cubs didn't need to put up much offense to win that.

But realistically, with DeGrom out of the mix, Gausman, Buehler and the Milwaukee guys have several lengths on Hendricks at the 1/8th pole.

Valuist

EOG Master
Cubs quietly reloading. Stroman and Miley added to rotation, Gold Glove SS Simmons added and now they sign the big Japanese free agent. Will he be more like Matsui or Fukodome? Time will tell.

kane

EOG master
Unlike the Reds, at least the Cubs are trying after last year's fire sale, still have them third in the division, but a postseason berth not out of the question if things break right for them

kane

EOG master
Congrats to the Phillies for 20 million a year they get three more wins with Schwarber
I like the signing for them, the DH in the NL made him a hot commodity, there were several teams interested in his services, and with the expanded playoffs, three wins could mean the difference between making or missing the playoffs

Valuist

EOG Master
I can see the Cubs being one of those teams who's record doesn't matchup their net runs. Why? THeir 1-3 starters, Hendricks-Stroman-Miley are solid but they are weak in the 4th and 5th starters. Win some 5-4 games, lose the 8-2 games.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cubs quietly reloading. Stroman and Miley added to rotation, Gold Glove SS Simmons added and now they sign the big Japanese free agent. Will he be more like Matsui or Fukodome? Time will tell.

Matsui or Fukodome, funny.

1647455787190.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
What happened to Jason Heyward's power?

With such great size and a sweet swing, where's the home run stroke?

Valuist

EOG Master
Unlike the Reds, at least the Cubs are trying after last year's fire sale, still have them third in the division, but a postseason berth not out of the question if things break right for them

Agreed. My gut instinct on the Cubs is their RSW total will be 84 1/2. Don't know if they are out anywhere. They've been busy but I don't expect all the acquisitions to work out. I had forgotten to include Nick Madrigal, who came over in the Kimbrel trade at the deadline, but was out for the year so it's like a brand new acquisition now. But I think Suzuki could be high variance; obviously Ohtani and Ichiro lived up to the hype; this guy being hyped as a 5 tool guy (I guess Ohtani was a 6 tool player).

Valuist

EOG Master

He rolls his hands over too much. How often does he ground out to 2B? One would think a few mechanical adjustments would work, but its been 6 years now.

kane

EOG master

I remember something Bobby Cox once said about Heyward, the first time he saw him take batting practice, after hearing the ball meet his bat, he said the only other time he recalled hearing a sound like that was when Hank Aaron took batting practice, for whatever reason it's something I've always remembered.

Valuist

EOG Master
Might be too long armed. Great for a basketball player; not good for a hitter. Remember when MJ played baseball? Long arms make for a longer, slower swing.

kane

EOG master
I just looked it up, not only did Cox compare Heyward to Aaron, he also said Mickey Mantle, JFC, talk about a swing and miss

Cox compared the sound of the ball off Heyward’s bat to what Cox heard when Hank Aaron and Mickey Mantle hit. “That same sound,” he said. “That ring.”