Cubs manager 2020

Valuist

EOG Master
I like former catchers. They understand the perspective of position players, but have a far better understanding of how to handle a pitching staff than position players.

Valuist

EOG Master
It will be interesting to see. I don't see Rizzo as a guy that needs motivation but who knows. And that isn't to say there aren't others who may need a kick in the butt. We will see.

richsox24

EOG Master
I like former catchers. They understand the perspective of position players, but have a far better understanding of how to handle a pitching staff than position players.
Agree.

Girardi was/is decent. Scioscia made an immediate impact in LA. Bochy with multiple WS. Matheny was decent before everything blew up in StL. Ross's lack of coaching experience is a little worrisome but he'll be fine. Varitek next in line in Boston

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Read today that the Cubs might trade Bryant....hopefully he can team up with good friend Bryce Harper in Philly....
I like Bryant but all he’s done for a year now is cry over being held back for 10 days when he was a rookie for another controlling year before FA. Blame the union, they agreed to it. No coincidence that his agent is Boras.

MrTop

EOG Master
i would think the 2020 cubs will have a different team.. the starting staff was the oldest in MLB.. I think they get rid of some of the sluggers and bring more contact hitters in... cubs overloaded with sluggers not enough hitters. Getting rid of bryant outside of money would be a mistake. ... rizo , bryant and baez are their best hitters

Valuist

EOG Master
I like Bryant but all he’s done for a year now is cry over being held back for 10 days when he was a rookie for another controlling year before FA. Blame the union, they agreed to it. No coincidence that his agent is Boras.

Rookie of the Year in 2015, MVP in 2016. I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say he has underwhelmed from 2017-2019. Maybe it was getting married. I didn't think he would peak in 2016.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Agree with Fair Warning that Boras probably at root of it and Bryant has been bitchy since last Spring Training:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0191024-h7yumfx62re6xhyzz5fdtkjc5i-story.html

Viejo on to something too as Bryant and Harper played on same club team here in LV (before High School) and have always dreamed of playing together. (I thought Cubs might pursue Harper.) Like many MLB hitters now, Bryant seems to always do the long, loopy upswing and seems less confident, maybe because he is mad. I'd get a new agent before leaving Cubs, but maybe he does want to play with Harper.

The Cubs may be also be looking to find playing time for this Nico Hoerner (SS) kid (22). He looked really good. And with Báez already a SS and Addison Russell,
someone will have to move or move out. Rizzo the Infield rock at 1B, so maybe Javy or Russell or Nico tries to learn 3B? A shame if they lose him, but Boras has probably planted some evil seeds in his head. At least he got the best memory of his Life.

But I would be mad too. Cubs seemed to play needless hardball (juvenile delay of service time clock) with a legit talent::

1572020630442.png

Last edited:

blueline

EOG Master
supposedly one of the things that led to change was Ross failing to give young players playing time while the Brewers as a team know how to develop younger players.....when the opportunity presented itself Hoyer could not pass it up