Cubs trade Luis Valbuena and Dan Straily for Dexter Fowler

JavyBaez9

EOG Master
Ultimately, this is probably the right move for the Cubs. Dexter Fowler's got some speed and some pop and can draw a walk and can fit at the top of the order, which is going to be sorely needed in this lineup full of sluggers. Will miss Luis, but there isn't a position for him once Bryant is up.

Cubbies get a little bit stronger.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Re: Cubs trade Luis Valbuena and Dan Straily for Dexter Fowler

I'm probably going to gamble on them to win it all not this upcoming season but next.

TEXED

EOG Veteran

I thought Fowler brought extra energy to the Astros when he was playing. He's outgoing with positiive leadership.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Really have to like the moves they are making. I think they got the best out of Valbuena. Cubs haven't had many good lead-off hitters.

richsox24

EOG Master

If the Cubs pick up Jordan Zimmerman (who is definitely getting shipped somewhere from Washington), are the favorites in the NL with a top 3 of Lester, Zimmerman, and Arrieta?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I would need to see more power from the lineup. Washington is shopping Strasberg now.

I think the White Sox are closer now that Scherzer is gone. Pretty winnable division for them.

richsox24

EOG Master

No question the White Sox can easily win that division. Detroit has 0 pitching.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I don't know if the White Sox are closer. The AL Central may be the worst division, while the NL Central may be the best, so they do have that going for them.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I think the Tigers end up overpaying for James Shields now to keep that team together at least one more year. That still gives them a decent rotation.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

If the Cubs pick up Jordan Zimmerman (who is definitely getting shipped somewhere from Washington), are the favorites in the NL with a top 3 of Lester, Zimmerman, and Arrieta?

Are we still in the running for Zimmerman? I'd rather wait and get David Price... only problem with that is that now Detroit is going to pester Price to sign a long term deal... I still think Price wants to hit the free agent market though.

richsox24

EOG Master

Are we still in the running for Zimmerman? I'd rather wait and get David Price... only problem with that is that now Detroit is going to pester Price to sign a long term deal... I still think Price wants to hit the free agent market though.

If the Cubs can get Zimmerman now and lock him up for a few years I'd jump on that now, rather than wait and maybe or maybe not get Price for way more money.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

If the Cubs can get Zimmerman now and lock him up for a few years I'd jump on that now, rather than wait and maybe or maybe not get Price for way more money.

There's always guys available for the right price. Nats are asking too much for Zimmerman. Theo not gonna give up prospects.

Waz

EOG Addicted

Two drivers behind this move for the Cubs. First, it opens up 3B for Alcantara and Bryant. Alcantara has been tearing it up in winter ball and needs regular playing time. Bryant will probably be up in June if not earlier, and has been tabbed as the future at 3B. The second reason for the move is getting Fowler, who is a free agent after this upcoming season. That means the Cubs will get a #1 compensatory pick if someone else signs him. Fowler is also a nice fit at the leadoff spot in the short-term, as they bring along their young talent.

Nice move by the Cubs. I still think they need at least one more impact player to compete for a playoff spot, but they're close.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

Two drivers behind this move for the Cubs. First, it opens up 3B for Alcantara and Bryant. Alcantara has been tearing it up in winter ball and needs regular playing time. Bryant will probably be up in June if not earlier, and has been tabbed as the future at 3B. The second reason for the move is getting Fowler, who is a free agent after this upcoming season. That means the Cubs will get a #1 compensatory pick if someone else signs him. Fowler is also a nice fit at the leadoff spot in the short-term, as they bring along their young talent.

Nice move by the Cubs. I still think they need at least one more impact player to compete for a playoff spot, but they're close.

I think Alcantara stays in CF because Fowler is a pretty poor defensive CF. True, that will be mitigated playing in Wrigley Field, which is a pretty easy center field to play with the small gaps, however, I see Fowler fitting nicely in LF.

Mike Olt will probably start at 3B, which I'm not stoked about, but that'll be short term because he will likely strikeout 40% of his at bats again and pressure them to call up Bryant sooner rather than later.

Later down the road, they will have a lot of decisions to make, as Addison Russell is the legitimate SS of the bunch. This will move Castro to 3B likely, which will force Bryant to LF.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

What about Baez at 3B, Alcantara at 2B, and Fowler in CF?

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

I think the Cubs are already contenders... For a 2 month stretch around July/August, the Cubs' had a top 3 bullpen in the league statistically. Later in the year, they started resting guys and put those bullpen arms on a serious inning limit and starting throwing out scrubs and that cost them several meaningless games and skewed the numbers, but I think this team as it stands is at least in wild card contention. It's a tough division, but got a chance there.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

What about Baez at 3B, Alcantara at 2B, and Fowler in CF?

Maybe. Depends on how far they think Addison Russell is away. It seems like he's already ready with the way people talk about him.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I think they were toying with the Idea of Bryant in RF because of his arm. Maybe this has changed.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

Maybe. Depends on how far they think Addison Russell is away. It seems like he's already ready with the way people talk about him.

I think Fowler's lead off skills will outweigh the poor D. I think we know what Mike Olt is all about.

JavyBaez9

EOG Master

LF - Fowler
CF - Alcantara
3B - Bryant
1B - Rizzo
RF - Soler
SS - Castro
C - Montero
2B - Baez

Will be interesting to see how Tommy La Stella and Coghlan are used.