Cubs

MrTop

EOG Master
Back in 2003 nobody knew who Theo was. I agree with Fair Warning. Theo does a great job of building up position players in a farm system. Let's not forget, the bulk of the WS winning Red Sox team last year was still the work of Theo. And I already listed the former Cubs HR leaderboard. The guy is great at scouting young hitters. Free agents? Not so much.

But back to Beane, he even said it himself. "My shit don't work in the postseason." And he's right. And it will be proven yet again when Tampa dumps them in the WC game.

theo has 100 million more than beane to work with every year.. IMO not better than beane... redsox did not even want theo before beane

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
theo has 100 million more than beane to work with every year.. IMO not better than beane... redsox did not even want theo before beane
But he does his best work with less also. The only Cubs FA signings that really had an impact were Lester and Zobrist. He's pissed away a lot of money that probably hurt the progress of some of his higher draft picks. If you gave Beane an extra $100 mil, no guarantee he could make it work either, thats not his strength.

Valuist

EOG Master

Theo didn't have the resume in 2003. But we know the Moneyball years were a bit fraudulent as the key pieces were Zito, Hudson and Mulder and I believe Beane inherited all three.

MrTop

EOG Master
Theo didn't have the resume in 2003. But we know the Moneyball years were a bit fraudulent as the key pieces were Zito, Hudson and Mulder and I believe Beane inherited all three.

... but since he has been a gm or whatever he is now.. had more money to work with than beane in the same years

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A fitting final score for the Cubs game on the final day of the 2019 MLB season.

Cardinals 9 Cubs 0.

That's the forfeit score.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
... but since he has been a gm or whatever he is now.. had more money to work with than beane in the same years
We are saying that having more money with his style of evaluating talent isn’t always the best thing. It took the Yankees a very long time to figure it out. Just because you can afford a $30 mil/year OF, doesn’t mean you should get one. Look at the Tigers with Miggy, he’s a boat anchor in their rebuilding plans. They can’t pay him to go away.

kane

EOG master
Back in 2003 nobody knew who Theo was. I agree with Fair Warning. Theo does a great job of building up position players in a farm system. Let's not forget, the bulk of the WS winning Red Sox team last year was still the work of Theo. And I already listed the former Cubs HR leaderboard. The guy is great at scouting young hitters. Free agents? Not so much.

But back to Beane, he even said it himself. "My shit don't work in the postseason." And he's right. And it will be proven yet again when Tampa dumps them in the WC game.

Good call

Theo always wants to tear everything down first. Mets and Phils are finally getting close to being contenders with some pieces in place. Should be interesting to see how he proceeds if these two are the landing spots. How about he pulls the ultimate Jedi move and goes to Oakland to replace Billy Beane?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Theo always wants to tear everything down first. Mets and Phils are finally getting close to being contenders with some pieces in place. Should be interesting to see how he proceeds if these two are the landing spots. How about he pulls the ultimate Jedi move and goes to Oakland to replace Billy Beane?
He mentioned at the press conference today that he enjoys the total rebuild, doesn't like the maintainence part. That proved true in Boston and Chicago.

MrTop

EOG Master

theo would make money in oakland if they give him a % like beane got. Thing is there is no money in Oakland to win every year.. The mets and phillies have money.

theo would make money in oakland if they give him a % like beane got. Thing is there is no money in Oakland to win every year.. The mets and phillies have money.

Just think though, if he could build a winner in Oakland that goes further than Billy ball did he would be regarded as being at a totally different level. I think he really isn't worried about having a big payroll, as mentioned he struggled in keeping a winner on path to better things once they had to pay up on contracts. How the Cubs just fell apart after they won the title is beyond me. It wasn't like an aging roster that had one last shot at a title.

So to go to the Angels where the owner is willing to spend his way to a title, I don't think he would have the right environment for his path. He'd alienate some of the players there like Trout and then have to trade him and people would be up in arms over it.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Just think though, if he could build a winner in Oakland that goes further than Billy ball did he would be regarded as being at a totally different level. I think he really isn't worried about having a big payroll, as mentioned he struggled in keeping a winner on path to better things once they had to pay up on contracts. How the Cubs just fell apart after they won the title is beyond me. It wasn't like an aging roster that had one last shot at a title.

So to go to the Angels where the owner is willing to spend his way to a title, I don't think he would have the right environment for his path. He'd alienate some of the players there like Trout and then have to trade him and people would be up in arms over it.

Trade Trout to Philly.....dreams can come true.....lol