Davey Martinez blatantly mismanaging the Nats lineup IMO

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
it seems like something is constantly being tinkered with Put Turner and Eaton 1-2 (in either order) every single day, with an occasional day off for Eaton against lefties. (He would hit them better if he were given at least somewhat consistent AB’s against them.) Harper 3, Soto 4, Rendon 5, Matt Adams/Mark Reynolds platoon at 6, then go from there. This lineup should be consistently mashing.

No way this team should be .500 at the break.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Re: Davey Martinez blatantly mismanaging the Nats lineup IMO

Martinez not experienced enough....combined with no clutch hitting.....their pitching staff doesn’t scare anyone except for Mad Max....I would bat Harper third in the order and leave him there...build around him....

Valuist

EOG Master

Bat Harper leadoff. He has really struggled with his hitting this year but still gets a ton of walks. 19.4% walk rate. But the Nats need a lot more out of him than a .218 BA and slugging under .500.

Let's compare Harper this year to Schwarber, who everyone loves to rip on:

BA: Schwarber .249 Harper .218
OBP: Schwarber .376 Harper .372
Slugging: Schwarber .498 Harper .479
WOBA: Schwarber .367 Harper .358
WRC+ Schwarber 130 Harper 123

Schwarber has him beat in every category. Yet Harper is an All-Star starter? There has to be other outfielders having better seasons than him.

MrTop

EOG Master

Bat Harper leadoff. He has really struggled with his hitting this year but still gets a ton of walks. 19.4% walk rate. But the Nats need a lot more out of him than a .218 BA and slugging under .500.

Let's compare Harper this year to Schwarber, who everyone loves to rip on:

BA: Schwarber .249 Harper .218
OBP: Schwarber .376 Harper .372
Slugging: Schwarber .498 Harper .479
WOBA: Schwarber .367 Harper .358
WRC+ Schwarber 130 Harper 123

Schwarber has him beat in every category. Yet Harper is an All-Star starter? There has to be other outfielders having better seasons than him.

agree losing weight has helped swarber. Swaber much better this year. I was reading something on harper from baseball prospectus . They said harper is the next adam dunn at the plate.

Valuist

EOG Master

agree losing weight has helped swarber. Swaber much better this year. I was reading something on harper from baseball prospectus . They said harper is the next adam dunn at the plate.

All the talk of a $400 or $500 million contract. I just don't see it. He's had issues staying healthy, but there are questions how complete a hitter he is. He's topped .300 twice, but also has been over .275 only twice. We can say BA is overrated, but it isn't completely meaningless. If you are a GM, do you give out monster money for Adam Dunn 2.0?

MrTop

EOG Master

All the talk of a $400 or $500 million contract. I just don't see it. He's had issues staying healthy, but there are questions how complete a hitter he is. He's topped .300 twice, but also has been over .275 only twice. We can say BA is overrated, but it isn't completely meaningless. If you are a GM, do you give out monster money for Adam Dunn 2.0?

agree . He better have a great 2nd half or he could get screwed big time. Right now not worth 400 mil.

yisman

EOG Master

Harper is the biggest name among NL outfielders.

He didn't deserve to be on the All Star team but it's a fan vote for starters.

Every year lots of the starters are undeserving. Derek Jeter used to win the fan vote at SS every year.

RE: Schwarber

He still sits against LHPs, inflating his stats.

RE: Nationals lineup

It's better than it was under Dusty Baker. All last season, Baker batted Rendon 6th, while using a scrub like Difo (or various minor league middle infielders) in 2nd.

Rendon had one of the best seasons of any NL hitter.

kane

EOG master

Nats are the biggest disappointment in baseball to this point

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Washington's regular season win total was 94.5 at Westgate.

The Nats are on pace to win 81 games.

Hard to screw up that math.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted

Nats and their fans overrate players. If you listen to Bob "Homer" Carpenter and J. P. Santangelo, and I occasionally have to, they make you believe the Nats are the '27 Yankees.

In short, Zimmerman and Murphy may be finished. Rendon is the best position player. Harper probably is not the best teammate. (He could take a 1-year deal with Nats in order to elevate his contract status.) Roark has been awful all year and Gio terrible lately. Soto is great for a 19 year old, but pitching has caught up to him lately. When Strasburg returns (he gets hurt nearly every year), the team could make a run if Roark and Gio improve. However, this group has never shown me much heart. Davey Martinez is no Gene Mauch, but he hasn't had that much to work with thus far.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Nats and their fans overrate players. If you listen to Bob "Homer" Carpenter and J. P. Santangelo, and I occasionally have to, they make you believe the Nats are the '27 Yankees.

In short, Zimmerman and Murphy may be finished. Rendon is the best position player. Harper probably is not the best teammates. (He could take a 1-year deal with Nats in order to elevate his contract status.) Roark has been awful all year and Gio terrible lately. Soto is great for a 19 year old, but pitching has caught up to him lately. When Strasburg returns (he gets hurt nearly every year), the team could make a run if Roark and Gio improve. However, this group has never shown me much heart. Davey Martinez is no Gene Mauch, but he hasn't had that much to work with thus far.

there is that name again....Gene March....
That sonofabitch ruined my childhood...I was only 13 years old...:shoot: