Devastating news about PalmTree

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I received a phone call last night from PalmTree's dearest friend, Alf Musketa.

Alf expressed concerned since PalmTree was not answering his phone for the past two or three days.

Alf called Las Vegas Metro Police to conduct a wellness check on Eric Strasser.

Sure enough, Alf's worst fears were realized when police returned Alf's call with devastating news: PalmTree was found dead in his home.

Eric Strasser was one of EOG's good guys and one of the most knowledgeable baseball handicappers around.

Two years ago, Eric authored a book titled "Baseball Betting for Profit."

A graduate of George Washington University, Eric is survived by his mother Barbara and daughter Jessica.

PalmTree in recent years was confined to a wheelchair after losing his leg (below the left knee) from complications of diabetes.

Eric was in his early-to-mid 50's.

More details on the passing of Eric Strasser (aka PalmTree) will be posted later today.

So sad.

blueline

EOG Master
Re: Devastating news about PalmTree

Glad I was able to break bread with him a few times.
He certainly let you know where he stood on things.
RIP

This is just awful. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Eric this past March after corresponding for a few years. Even though we only met once I considered him a friend. Eric loved baseball probably more than anyone I've ever known. Eric enjoyed his own winning plays but I know he enjoyed his friends getting winners even more. He will be missed.

Bushay

NHL Expert

Omg. Just horrible news. Palm was a decent guy. R.I.P Palmtree.

rico1

EOG Master

Enjoyed speaking with him about everything baseball. Rip

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

Wow. Terrible news. It's been years since I interacted w/ him but he was always first class.

I would send him an email asking him about this and another email asking him about that and never once was I ignored and the guy didn't even know who the fuck I was. Every single time, w/out fail, he offered a thoughtful response. A really decent dude whose loss I feel.

RIP!!!

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

That's so sad. We had dinner together a few times before your show. I think Eric said he was (adjusted for time) 57. Didn't let his handicap get in the way of working hard. Nice guy.....a real shame.

railbird

EOG Master

Eric was a good dude, ill never forget riding in his convertible with top down in120 degree heat and him whipping his wheelchair out of the backseat, i bet he could bench press 400lbs. He liked his omaha poker and sportsbetting for sure. He was proud of Jessica. Rip buddy.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Eric was a good dude, ill never forget riding in his convertible with top down in120 degree heat and him whipping his wheelchair out of the backseat, i bet he could bench press 400lbs. He liked his omaha poker and sportsbetting for sure. He was proud of Jennifer. Rip buddy.

That was some automobile, witnessed it a few times at the GBC

brians

EOG Dedicated

Awful news. RIP Eric.
My condolences to all of PalmTree's friends here on EOG.

Paleface

EOG 500 Champion Dec. 2013

Sorry to hear, really sad news. He seemed like a good guy.

I'll miss his excellent commentary and breakdown of the MLB.

He had just posted a few days ago saying he was driving home from Costco so he seemed to be healthy.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

This is horrible.

Further proof that none of us are ever guaranteed tomorrow...

RIP

Heim

EOG Master

Unbelievable....I was looking forward to meeting him soon.

RIP

Heim

EOG Master

I don't want to speculate but his recent hospital stay probably had more to do than minor shoulder pain. They possibly missed it.

Valuist

EOG Master

I don't want to speculate but his recent hospital stay probably had more to do than minor shoulder pain. They possibly missed it.

Shoulder pain can be a heart related symptom.

Sorry to hear the news. RIP.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

While I didn't know him nor recall his posts on EOG, but everything JK wrote about him points to him him definitely being a good guy...A have a close friend that graduated from GW University and the fact that Palm Tree authored a baseball book, makes loosing him even sadder. Peace to his family.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I'll miss my Friday morning meetings with Eric.

Steve McLaughlin, Jim Jacobs, Freddie Keck and Alf Musketa were part of a breakfast club that shared stories and laughs.

We always joked our group had all the answers but no one was asking us the questions.

Eric always laughed at that line.

No bad luck, PalmTree.

yisman

EOG Master

I'll miss my Friday morning meetings with Eric.

Steve McLaughlin, Jim Jacobs, Freddie Keck and Alf Musketa were part of a breakfast club that shared stories and laughs.

We always joked our group had all the answers but no one was asking us the questions.

Eric always laughed at that line.

No bad luck, PalmTree.

You and those four guys had breakfast once a week?

RIP PalmTree.