Eye on the Markets: Coronavirus Stocks/Investments thread

homie1975

EOG Addicted

Oil stocks are the new FAANGs?​

One reason why stocks have stumbled out of the gate in 2022 is the underperformance of Big Tech stocks. Weak results and guidance from Facebook owner Meta Platforms tanked the FAANGs last week.
Meta's (FB) shares have plunged more than 30% this year. So are shares of Netflix (NFLX). Amazon (AMZN) is still down about 7% despite a big stock pop Friday after reporting solid results. Microsoft (MSFT) is down about 10% and Tesla (TSLA) has fallen nearly 15%. Apple (AAPL) and Google owner Alphabet (GOOGL) have fared better due to strong earnings.
But even as tech struggles, investors are flocking to energy stocks. The Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE) ETF is up nearly 25% this year as crude oil prices skyrocket.

Chevron (CVX) is leading the Dow with a 15% gain while Exxon Mobil (XOM) is up more than 30%. Halliburton (HAL), Schlumberger (SLB), Occidental Petroleum (OXY), Hess (HES) and APA (APA) are among the top gainers in the S&P 500.
Higher oil and gas prices are not good for consumers. But investors are pleased to see rising energy costs because it means more profits for oil giants.
Along those lines, Exxon analysts have raised their earnings forecasts for 2022 by 16% over the past three months and have raised their 2023 profit targets by 20%.
"We're seeing this sector rotation into energy," said Tony Minopoli, chief Investment officer at Knights of Columbus Asset Advisors. "Stocks will follow earnings."

homie1975

EOG Addicted
Rising interest rates could certainly give way to higher volatility in 2022. But history tells us that rising interest rates do not necessarily have to mean falling stocks – in fact, the opposite has been true throughout history:

Source:Federal Reserve; Bloomberg3
[TABLE]

Fed Raising Rates

Change in Fed Funds Rate over the period

S&P 500 Index Price Change over the period

July 1954 to October 1957

2.7%

+33%

May 1958 to November 1959

3.4%

+32%

May 1967 to September 1969

5.2%

+5%

March to September 1971

1.8%

-2%

February 1972 to July 1974

9.6%

-26%

January 1977 to July 1981

14.4%

+28%

February 1983 to August 1984

3.0%

+13%

March 1988 to March 1989

3.3%

+14%

December 1993 to April 1995

2.7%

+33%

January 1999 to June 2000

1.9%

+14%

June 2004 to July 2006

4.2%

+12%

November 2015 to January 2019

2.3%

+30%

[/TABLE]

homie1975

EOG Addicted
CRO

Crypto.
There is speculation it will go up on Sunday due to Super Bowl Ads.

It is right around or at it's all time low, currently.

homie1975

EOG Addicted
CRO

Crypto.
There is speculation it will go up on Sunday due to Super Bowl Ads.

It is right around or at it's all time low, currently.

Check that, my cousin gave me bad info, and apologizes. I should have vetted it.

currently at .51.

all time low was Dec 2018 at around .02

homie1975

EOG Addicted
Reminds me of an old-time EOG poster named Munchkin Man. Always was looking for the next penny stock to pop. Probably dead now.

Just sharing info. I don't care for any of the cryptos outside of what I own at this time, which are:

LTC
ETH
BTC
BNB
AXS
SOL
AVAX

All at $100 or higher per coin, with ETH and BTC way higher, obviously.

penny cryptos a different animal than penny stocks................new ones come and get pumped and dumped and if you find them amongst a much smaller crowd (than a gazillion penny stocks), you can make serious money.

MrTop

EOG Master
Just sharing info. I don't care for any of the cryptos outside of what I own at this time, which are:

LTC
ETH
BTC
BNB
AXS
SOL
AVAX

All at $100 or higher per coin, with ETH and BTC way higher, obviously.

penny cryptos a different animal than penny stocks................new ones come and get pumped and dumped and if you find them amongst a much smaller crowd (than a gazillion penny stocks), you can make serious money.

CRYPTO MOVING.

MrTop

EOG Master
when fear ( war ) steps up to the plate GOLD the strategic advantage

note: gold 1863 usually follows the swiss franc

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
Yes certain colors are more but I got White but will get it wrapped. Everything is online so you can design your own & see exactly what it would cost you.

Alldaycapper34

EOG Senior Member
GOLD 1871

Silver and gold seem to be making their move. I can't see it going down with all the money printing that's happened since Covid started.

I wonder how many of you think we are heading for hell on earth. Pretty smart guys in here. Would like to hear your opinion.

Alldaycapper34

EOG Senior Member
Well silver taking it on the chin today. Down 2.72% at the moment. If it hits in the $22 range I’ll be heading back to my shop. This inflation isn’t going away anytime soon. I don’t understand how it can go down this much in one day. It’s all BS.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Well silver taking it on the chin today. Down 2.72% at the moment. If it hits in the $22 range I’ll be heading back to my shop. This inflation isn’t going away anytime soon. I don’t understand how it can go down this much in one day. It’s all BS.
I have a big position myself. Unfortunately major manipulation goes on supressing the price. BOA currently has a 800 million oz short position.

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
Well silver taking it on the chin today. Down 2.72% at the moment. If it hits in the $22 range I’ll be heading back to my shop. This inflation isn’t going away anytime soon. I don’t understand how it can go down this much in one day. It’s all BS

partial Troop pullback so people bet against gold and silver. You can always have a china problem after XI gets elected later in the year

homie1975

EOG Addicted
partial Troop pullback so people bet against gold and silver. You can always have a china problem after XI elects himself later in the year and starts phukking with Taiwan again while Little Rocket Man in North Korea starts missile testing with longer range targets.

Fixed a little and added to it.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
A+

I was an oil market analyst 20 years ago, I lived this shit. It hasn't changed much. I even went to the Cushing facility where all deliveries are made as part of a marketing boondoggle. There is nothing to see there, all we did is think of Cushing as the mile zero point. All pipelines have at least some oil flowing through them at all times. Right now those pipes are getting full because the shale products are still getting fed in while refiners are taking very little out. At some point the pipes can't take anymore and that's why the physical delivery must be taken out in May.

My guess is next month most non physical traders will get out of their positions earlier so we don't see negative dollar trades, but the risk of it will keep a real damper on next month contract prices because refiners aren't taking more out of the pipes anytime soon and the shale guys need 3-5 months to fully shut down production. Going forward watch all this leads to $75 oil prices faster than you know it.
WildBill is a sage.

This post dated April 20, 2020.