Eye on the Markets: Coronavirus Stocks/Investments thread

homie1975

EOG Addicted
Yea, still on the fall, no sign of bottom. Maybe 80's to build a position.

i would be surprised if it touched $95 let alone anywhere in the 80 dollar range.

i have been building a position the last several mos.

i will continue to build on it if breaches $100.

MrTop

EOG Master
Starting on Jan. 1, the China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS), which is overseen by the central bank, will lower the U.S. dollar's weighting in the CFETS currency basket to 19.83% from 19.88% and cut the euro's weighting to 18.21% from 18.45%, according to an online statement

gold moving

homie1975

EOG Addicted
i would be surprised if it touched $95 let alone anywhere in the 80 dollar range.

i have been building a position the last several mos.

i will continue to build on it if breaches $100.

TSLA following through on last week's bounce off $102

back up to $122 now.......

MrTop

EOG Master
since late OCT yes, but prior to that it was on a steady retrace down since the March of 2022 price of $2045

totally correct. It always takes a big dip in history for one reason or another. It is taking off now. China is getting rid of the dollars in a very slow pattern. Also, the central banks are buying the most GOLD since 1974.

MrTop

EOG Master
Overall, the World Gold Council estimates that central bank buying has lifted gold reserves to their highest level since 1974, with massive purchases from Russia and China being key. The People’s Bank of China bought 62 tonnes of gold in November and December alone.

This year is looking good too: The gold price is up 7% in the last month in sterling and dollars. The VanEck Junior Gold Miners UCITS ETF (which I hold) is up 10% year to date.

There’s more. Recessions have followed the rate peaks within 18 months 60% of the time (the average being 10 months) and gold has shown a strong tendency to do well in these periods too (beating the S&P500 by 26%) — particularly when recession coincides with a stock market downturn. Regardless of what regulators say about past performance telling us nothing about the future, this does give good reason to think about holding gold in the short-term.

gold 1917

MrTop

EOG Master
Elon Musk Expects Tesla’s Main Rival Will Be a Chinese EV Maker
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The US Hasn’t Noticed That China-Made Cars Are Taking Over the World

The country is poised to become the No. 2 exporter of passenger vehicles, surpassing the US and South Korea and risking new tensions with trading partners and rivals.

MrTop

EOG Master

Black Swan’s Taleb Warns ‘Disneyland’ Is Over for Investors​

• Higher interest rates will burst asset bubbles, Taleb says
  • Author warns asset-based inflation is distorting society

Valuist

EOG Master
Have to wonder how bad Norfolk Southern will get torched. 1 million pounds of toxic chemicals into the air from the derailment and subsequent fall out. Reports of dead fish and pets already dying. I'm 70 miles away from East Palestine and wondering how far away will be impacted. Pittsburgh is only about 50 miles east.

The stock peaked at $255 midday on Feb 3, the day of the East Palestine derailment, and is now about 11% off its highs. How much further? Maybe a lot. The fact they had another derailment near Detroit yesterday is an indicator they don't have the best safety protocols in place.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Have to wonder how bad Norfolk Southern will get torched. 1 million pounds of toxic chemicals into the air from the derailment and subsequent fall out. Reports of dead fish and pets already dying. I'm 70 miles away from East Palestine and wondering how far away will be impacted. Pittsburgh is only about 50 miles east.

The stock peaked at $255 midday on Feb 3, the day of the East Palestine derailment, and is now about 11% off its highs. How much further? Maybe a lot. The fact they had another derailment near Detroit yesterday is an indicator they don't have the best safety protocols in place.

52 week low is $203...maybe buy some puts?

Valuist

EOG Master
52 week low is $203...maybe buy some puts?

I bought a Sept 15 200 strike.

And what is up with the MSM? When did they become such shills for big business? We saw it repeatedly with Pfizer and the vaccine. Now Pfizer has been replaced by Norfolk Southern. Yahoo coming out today warning people about "misinformation". Whenever the MSM starts talking about "misinformation", run, don't walk away from their thoughts. Basically, for those in East Palestine, if you saw dead fish, or your pets getting sick, you saw it, but you aren't supposed to believe it. Erase it from your vision.

The MSM may be on NSC's side, but the Republican and Democratic congressmen, along with the EPA and NTSB, are going to rape them.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Valuist

EOG Master
I actually was short SIVB around a year ago. I heard the case, given a break here or there, that they would blow up. I closed it out long ago and didn't catch the windfall of the past 2 days. Now its gone, barring some late hour bailout.

Valuist

EOG Master
As for NSC, they've had 5 derailments in Ohio alone since early October. This wasn't about any rule Trump changed. Obviously safety isn't a priority there.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I actually was short SIVB around a year ago. I heard the case, given a break here or there, that they would blow up. I closed it out long ago and didn't catch the windfall of the past 2 days. Now its gone, barring some late hour bailout.

I've underestimated how braindead this new generation of bankers/investors (SBF, SIVB, bankers in general, etc) really are. Wish I had shorted more of them.

MrTop

EOG Master

Coinbase Explores Overseas Venue as US Ramps Up Crypto Scrutiny​

• Company discussing alternative venue with trading clients
  • Regulatory, banking climate for crypto firms in US has soured

MrTop

EOG Master

Crypto Fugitive Do Kwon Is Arrested in Montenegro​

• Kwon’s TerraUSD stablecoin imploded in early May last year
  • South Korea has sought Kwon’s arrest since September