Former Michigan State basketball star Keith Appling charged with first-degree murder

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Appling was a 4 year starter at Michigan State from 2010 - 2014, undrafted by any team in the NBA. Signed w/ the Magic in 2015. His NBA career spanned all of 5 games. After that his life began to unravel.

In July 2017, Appling was sentenced to one year in county jail and four years of probation for carrying a concealed weapon and resisting a police officer. In February 2020, Appling was charged with delivery or manufacture of 19 grams of heroin in a car he was attempting to sell. In May 2021, Appling was arrested for the shooting death of a 66-year-old man in Detroit.

Heim

EOG Master
If he could only cover his guy the way he covered most of the criminal code, he would still be playing.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
From McDonald's All-American to accused murderer.

Life is filled with choices.

Appling made a lot of poor choices.

Checking to see if Tom Izzo has commented on the story.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
According to the Detroit Free Press, Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo visited Keith Appling in jail in late 2017.

Appling then was serving time on gun charges.

During a sentencing hearing in 2017, Appling claimed "he made some mistakes."

He went too far when saying, “But I definitely learned from them, and I’m just ready to get my life back on track.”

Now he's charged with first-degree murder.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
after the alleged murder, Appling disappeared, they later found him in a hotel room off I-94 west of Ann Arbor. Police found additional guns in his car, not used in the murder. Back in 2017, Appling told the judge not to expect to see him in a courtroom ever again.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
after the alleged murder, Appling disappeared, they later found him in a hotel room off I-94 west of Ann Arbor. Police found additional guns in his car, not used in the murder. Back in 2017, Appling told the judge not to expect to see him in a courtroom ever again.
Low hanging fruit for those Dexter and Grass Lake police.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Harder to disappear than ever before.

Phones, cameras and tracking devices are everywhere.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Typical Sparty basketball. Turnover and traveling.

Officers arrived at the shooting scene on the city's northwest side to find a black revolver lying on the front lawn a few feet from a green Michigan State University ball cap, according to a police report obtained by The Detroit News.

A relative said "he heard multiple gunshots" and went outside to find Appling with a gun in his hand, according to the police report, which added that the relative wrestled the gun away from him.

Appling's girlfriend, Natalie Brooks Banister, 28, allegedly drove Appling away from the scene and failed to tell the truth to officers investigating the case, the prosecutor said. She has been charged with one count of accessory after the fact and lying to a peace officer.