Futures limit down

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
We are fucked anyways. Even if Trump says return to work and go about your business, many people either 1. Wont 2. Will be very cautious in what they do whether its going out to eat or staying at a hotel which will impact money anyways.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Public health or the economy, so you're on the economy team. Nice.
I think or should say believe there is another big drop after unemployment numbers come out thursday. Also china opening back up is going to be a disaster. A second wave of gigantic people with the virus is coming.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Yeah, I get it. Most get it. Companies will have to get its workforce employed again to get back to business.

Playing the devil here because I once was one: the problem is, some company owners could use an opportunity of a bailout as a cushion to maybe restructure their business in a way they couldn’t before, given the restrictions of such a large payroll and the lack of a money cushion to experiment with a new business model.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Trump is a fk tard but i cant believe that people around him were telling him to take this seriously and he went completely rogue stating that things were ok.

I fkn hate these news articles that quote this single doctor that says this is what we should have done.

More 20/20 hindsight from the libtard media.

Trump 2020 by a landslide.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
They were talking football. They were at the 5 then the 2 then someone is speaking sometimes players fumble.

LOL. This is quite fascinating.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Tuesdays this March for market: up 5.5%
other 4 days: down 31%

That maybe the days the Fed money hits the markets

If you know how to read that shit on the Feds website (which I dont) you could probably make decent coin off it.

At this point most of what the Fed does, its doing it out in the open.

Anyone willing to put some effort into it, could probably profit along

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Trump is a fk tard but i cant believe that people around him were telling him to take this seriously and he went completely rogue stating that things were ok.

Yet that is exactly what happened.

He had all the information that the Senators who sold their stocks had.... yet Trump downplayed the significance PUBLICLY and REPEATEDLY

Just for that he needs to be fired

Valuist

EOG Master
That maybe the days the Fed money hits the markets

If you know how to read that shit on the Feds website (which I dont) you could probably make decent coin off it.

At this point most of what the Fed does, its doing it out in the open.

Anyone willing to put some effort into it, could probably profit along

Actually its just been Mondays have been horrific. Usually a horrible day, like 1000 point loss on Dow, will see a dead cat bounce the next day, where maybe the market gets back 1/3rd or so of the previous days losses.

Mondays are always bad, people have all weekend to get scared after seeing something. Mostly retail selling first hours, just mom and pops saying I saw something that made me want to go to cash. Then later in the day margin calls and hedge funds get gloomier and sell, then the last hour the algorithms see bad price action and sell it even more. Nothing you can do other than have a weekend where the media stops being so gloomy.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Actually its just been Mondays have been horrific. Usually a horrible day, like 1000 point loss on Dow, will see a dead cat bounce the next day, where maybe the market gets back 1/3rd or so of the previous days losses.
Fridays have seen one up day over the last 11, a Kevin Maas like .091 for those keeping track on a daily success rate.

Just about the time that an apparent pattern or trend develops, Lucy then pulls the football away as Charlie starts to kick . . . . With volatility, as measured by the VIX -- relatively -- tamping down lately, with that measure being at the moment on what could be the back slope of a VIX spike, Lucy (the market players that pull the strings) may have her bearings more or less back and be back to her old tricks.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I didnt have faith it was going to do this again this Tuesday. In the way it did, Im actually shocked it did. I dont know whats brewing but it doesnt smell good.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Stimulus bill still wasnt hashed out. They keep saying close. These guys were using football terms in their debates today for goodness sakes.

I have no doubt, without any doubt these are filthy rich selfish, entitled, no good guys fucking with us today. (More than any other day)

I don't think stimulus bill really matters for the market at least for the moment. Stocks are reacting to Trump's message about getting things running again in mid April. Seeing a lot of government and business messages about keeping things closed until around the same Easter Sunday date he's giving. Feels like there is a building consensus that's when the shutdowns and lockdowns will mostly end. Its still 3 weeks away to go with the week to 10 days most people have already been somewhat limited. Should be sufficient for the curve to be bent, if such a thing has even been possible.

The market isn't political, nor does it care who is in charge. The market is just a cold hard fact. So much noise made about this going on until May or June, the CDC's proclamation, the doctors saying it could be 90 days, etc. To have some apparent date in mind does wonders for the market and for businesses who cannot plan when you say we'll reopen when we feel safe.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Its just too much. Its amazing and fascinating to watch. If youre a day trader it must be okay but investors dollar cost on averaging monthly....

Its amazing. Its like Ohio State vs Clemson all over again. Well, not really. I have no idea what Im spewing.

jimmythegreek

And you can quote me on this, today wasnt no fucking rally.
If it wasn't a rally, and certainly you're at no loss for haste based on today's assessment, it's a temporary boost based on how soon Congress approved the stimulus package. Futures are currently mixed right now with low volatility, but even if the market soars tomorrow again, unemployment figures are due to update Thursday, likely resulting in more frantic selling combined with increasing Coronavirus cases and fatalities.

Its just too much. . . . .

Well, when you get down to trying to time the squiggles in the chart, with today being a really, really big squiggle, the advantage goes to the insiders gaming the system from within.

On a longer term perspective, however, at least for an individual not responsible to outsiders for how well you did against the market benchmark this quarter, it can be much simpler, at least on the long side.

It's probably too late to sell in this cycle, at least in force, unless you have some crystal ball that tells you that you can sell at 35% or so down and definitely will be able to rebuy later at 60% down. Otherwise, you've just bought high and sold low, perhaps at what even may prove later to be the bottom, which doesn't tend to be a profitable investment strategy.

So that leaves buying at this point, assuming available cash reserves. I'm kicking myself for not having my shopping list with price targets selected sitting all ready to go. It's really hard to cull that together on the fly while working, with the bullets flying, and with the target price windows being open for only a brief interval as the market gyrates wildly.

What I'm looking for while pulling that list together belatedly -- as the initial screening criterion -- is S&P 500 Dividend Aristocrats that are hitting 85% of their pre-crash five-year low. They're putting blue chip companies with a record of increasing dividends of 25 years or more on sale. That kind of deal doesn't come around every day.

It's not a novel concept to do something generally more or less along those lines -- it's what Graham, Buffett, etc., etc., etc. all tend(ed) to do (albeit not necessarily pulling stocks specifically from that list).

I'm not necessarily backing up the truck at this point, but I definitely am nibbling -- with the full understanding that I'm not likely to catch the absolute bottom tick on anything. But that I very likely later will be sitting pretty assuming -- as usually happens -- we ultimately pull through all this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S&P_500_Dividend_Aristocrats

jimmythegreek

Overnight rally quickly fading this morning as stocks are undecided ahead of the anticipation hopes of Congress approving the stimulus.

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
The 21-day historical volatility (HV) on the S&P 500 Index (SPX) is at 87%. The only two times in history where this was surpassed were 1987 after Black Monday, in which the index fell over 20% in a single day, and 1929, kicking off the Great Depression.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I genuinely feel like Im in one of those movies.

Yesterday the fed gobbles up everything which includes ETFs. I dont know what to believe for today and this week. Shit, maybe forever. LOL hahaha

jimmythegreek

What a shitshow. Let's have a big hand for Bernie Sanders and his clan of Republican Senators for f*cking up the approval of the stimulus plan and driving the Dow down 750 points in the last 20 minutes

Will be interested in what happens to the price of crude and energy stocks in the early going tomorrow. And how much that splatters the rest of the market.

The provisions in the proposed stimulus bill for filling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) were cut from the final legislation.

Not quite sure what the Administration can do on its own in that regard, but crude futures took a bit of a hit after the story hit the wires this past evening that the SPR provisions got cut.

The coronavirus has had a big impact on the markets. But arguably what really accelerated the descent was the Saudi-Russo oil price war that knocked oil and energy stocks into the dirt. Energy caught an immediate bid heading into the close one day after the Administration announced the SPR fill a week or so back.

So it's something that I'll be watching on Thursday am, along with the unemployment claims report that everyone is focused on tomorrow.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Should have a contest, guess the lowest the s and p and dow is at any time of the year, ending at the end of 2020. With a overpriced market , low oil, and the virus, Im predicting 1350 for the s and p and 10,400 for the dow. Rent will be due soon, how do you pay the rent with no work. Think strippers can live on that 1200 stimulus.

jimmythegreek

The selling has to end at some point. Oil will come up and the oversold market will hopefully recover in due time. S and P will descend to around 1750 and 15000 seems like a reasonable bottom imo for the Dow. Welfare next to skyrocket.

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I was drinking some makers mark with a friend last night and he made a great analogy:

"Yeah, man. People are already at shore kicking back while others are just swimming trying to get to the island." Dont be that guy who is swimming. In reference to where we are sitting at right now.

jimmythegreek

Three straight days of gains. Either not as many expected that lost their jobs in the overall report, the timing of how long (2-3 weeks) for the first unemployment claims combined with not many filing as of yet,, and of course, stimulus finally clearing the Senate. I'm still not totally buying the short term rally but even this is more encouraging than expected barring a collapse like yesterday.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Its all about the money they are getting from the Fed.

And its rolling in.

Might it become 'pump and dump' eventually?

It could