'Going To The Whip' Maybe Not At Santa Anita...

Heim

EOG Master
It looks like the Great Race Place is going to ban jockeys from 'going to the whip' in a effort to curtail or eliminate
undue stress on a horse that might ultimately lead to injury. Nuts. The whips function is more than just getting
a horse to accelerate, makes the horse focus and straighten up in order to avoid mishaps.

alldaycapper

EOG Veteran
Stronach not doing this at their other tracks though. They care more about what PETA thinks than their owners, trainers and customers (horseplayers). Screw Stronach! Won't be getting my money.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
Stronach not doing this at their other tracks though. They care more about what PETA thinks than their owners, trainers and customers (horseplayers). Screw Stronach! Won't be getting my money.

Agree, I stated same thing previously. If this was wise idea it would be spread across all Stronach tracks. Pass on Santa Anita racing

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As I understand it, the whip proposal still needs approval from the California Horse Racing Board.

Racing resumes at Santa Anita tomorrow after a nearly four-week absence.

I'll downgrade "The Great Race Place" to "The Good Race Place" or maybe "The Once Great Race Place."

blueline

EOG Master
According to an article Mike Smith said its likely they adopt " international rules"
I have no problem with them doingg something on this issue.
No Lasix is another issue...I won't be betting there when full no Lasix foes into effect

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I remember track announcer Trevor Denman railing against jockeys who overused their riding whips.